Dirk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After reading through a lot of posts here, i found that the political system with representatives has not that many fans.

A lot of people mentioned that the loss of an Action Card draw in Assembly II made that strategy a lot less attractive as a choice compared to the older Politics and Assembly strategy cards.

But the main problem it seems is the possible elimination of players from the political game when all their representatives got killed.

I tried to think of a variant which adresses those points without changing the rules so much. I'm about to try the following changes
and i'm interested in your opinions:

A) new Strategy Card Assembly III and Magistrate token

The difference to Assembly II is an additional draw of an Action Card.

Also the player chosing an Agenda may now vote even if his representative got killed.
Since i couldnt fit the text on the strategy card itself i invented the "Magistrate" role and made a token for it:

My intention is that chosing to pick the agenda vs. taking the speaker token gets a bit more worthwile. In games with a lot of Assassinations you now have at least a very high chance you get to vote.

B) new Representatives "Absentee Vote"
To prevent player elemination i came up with an additional representative for each player whith no powers and no bonus votes.
When all your Representatives are killed, you may use this generic Counsilor in every voting phase.
You may still be kept from voting by assassinating this Counsilor though, but it has to be done every round.

C) Removal of uninteresting Political Cards, Draw 1 PC in Status Phase
If you plan to make politics more important, you can go two ways, either you try to get more laws out over the course of the game or you trim the deck down to the cards with more heavy consequences.
Since the game takes so long already, i lean more toward the second solution.
I think this was the first thread where this was presented:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/674489/removing-political-c...

In addition i make another small change by an additional draw of 1 Political Card in Status Phase when you draw an Action Card and get your 2 Command Counters.
The goal of this change is that there are more Political Cards to choose from, raising the chance of a more meaningful voting phase.

What do you think of the system? I have a game in 2 weeks where i want to try it out. Any suggestions for changes before that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest issue with any Assembly SC (vs. Political) is the fact that when it's used the rules allow you to exchange PC for TG.

My group simply uses Political I with representatives and it works quite fine IMHO - action cards are dealt and PC deck rotates more quickly than with other variants while the PC are not simply burnt for TG by everybody but always considered as potential agendas.

If your group are afraid of having all the reps killed, I think it's OK to include the blank rep you have created.
For me it's not really an issue, it happens very rarely and if I am in a situation where I can have last rep killed, it's up to me to find a way to make him survive (for example: "Never mind the VP's, I'll send my war suns against any player who dares kill my councilor")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your opinion.

I can see with Political I that getting 3 AC and a Command Counter is the best benefit you can get out of almost any strategy card. Replacing that with assembly is not very attractive.

But i was hoping for a political system where the Political Strategy is not only taken because you get a lot of AC but because you want to get gamechanging laws on their way.

I had the impression that mainly with the reduced size of the political deck along with a bigger draw of PC, a lot more Agendas potentially screwing up other players and giving VP are coming up. So you have to think twice about simply trashing all PC for Trade Goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Grimflayer wrote:
But the main problem it seems is the possible elimination of players from the political game when all their representatives got killed.

That's certainly the main problem perceived by people who haven't tried it. In practice it's not that likely - except maybe to the Yssaril, who are otherwise felt to be one of the best Great Races.

Quote:
To prevent player elemination i came up with an additional representative for each player whith no powers and no bonus votes.

"Councillor Generic" is not a new idea but a reasonable one.

Quote:
If you plan to make politics more important, you can go two ways, either you try to get more laws out over the course of the game or you trim the deck down to the cards with more heavy consequences.

Or you arrange for the person playing Political/Assembly to have a meaningful choice of cards so they can pick an Agenda that suits them (or a weak one if they have little influence and expect to lose). There are many variants for that; mine is as follows:

If you have three or fewer Political Cards, you may not spend PCs as Trade Goods.
If you have four or five PCs, you may spend PCs as TGs.
If you have six or more PCs, immediately convert PCs into TGs until you have five.

When the Assembly card is to be resolved, each player must select a PC from their hand and give it to the resolving player. The resolving player selects a PC, either from these cards or from their own hand. They return the unused cards to their owners. They may not reveal them, but they may discuss them freely. The player whose PC was chosen draws a replacement.

The resolving player appoints the new Speaker - probably themselves, but the new Speaker cannot be the same as the old Speaker. The new Speaker _can_ be the player whose PC was resolved.

Quote:
I had the impression that mainly with the reduced size of the political deck along with a bigger draw of PC, a lot more Agendas potentially screwing up other players and giving VP are coming up. So you have to think twice about simply trashing all PC for Trade Goods.

Well, not really. It _might_ be worth keeping a powerful one if you expect to take Assembly yourself or you expect a close enough ally to take it _and_ you expect to be able to arrange the vote so the player who gets screwed isn't you... or you could have the "jam today" of a Trade Good.

The way to stop people spending all their PCs as TGs is to forbid it. A slightly more nuanced system (like that above) allows them to spend some of their PCs as TGs so that a PC draw is still always worth something no matter the card drawn.

With a guaranteed minimum value for a PC draw combined with a good choice of cards for the Assembly-resolving player, I find the incentive to trim the political deck (which can be taken too far and turn the race with the most influence into a monster) is gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love the representetives to be honest...they made the political game sooo much better...i would like another set of promisserary notes thats not so brutal...the only thing i would change about assembly is to add the action cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.