Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: survivor level? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Buchold
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
was thinking of jumping into this game. is the survivor level a good deal? it seems like it has extra player characters. are these good to have or is it better to just get the base game and some expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pruden
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just the base game and expansions is best I think. The survivor level just has lots of extras that have no playable purpose other than cool looking miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buchold
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
thats what i thought but wasnt sure.
also is there any advise as to how to put the minis together? what i mean is, it seems like there are many combos to putting them together. will it be obvious once i'm playing, or is there advise in the book? i wouldnt want to glue them together and find out the mini looks nothing like what i actually have equiped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad Carlson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
We've only put together the starting survivors. If you grow really attached to a character you could memorialize it by building one with the same equipment set I suppose, but I you build them ahead of time you may end up having survivors on a hunt that don't "look" like your minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
How you build the minis is up to you.

Want to only build new minis after a survivor dies and you memorialize them? Do it.

Want to dump all the pieces into mixed bags, with all legs in one, all weapons in another, etc, and draw randomly? Seen it done.

Want to build minis without mixing and matching, so all the pieces match? Cool.

Personally, I'm building one female and one male from each armor set with no mixing or matching, and the rest will be a free for all, just making whatever looks cool with all the pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Only build the starting survivors until you have played the game a bit. And 1 from each armour kit as you make it in game if you want to. Then you will get a better feel for the game and how exactly you want to do the miniatures. We've played 6 campaigns or so and the only kits I have built more than 1 miniature from so far is rawhide (for a bow and combat one separate) and leather because I had a theme for one of the miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
godhelpme89 wrote:
also is there any advise as to how to put the minis together? what i mean is, it seems like there are many combos to putting them together. will it be obvious once i'm playing, or is there advise in the book? i wouldnt want to glue them together and find out the mini looks nothing like what i actually have equiped.

As for the way of assembling the different minis, you have www.vibrantlantern.com, which is an excellent source of detailed info. (I did it myself and I am as sluggish as one can be with manual chores).

Regarding specific gear combinations for the minis, it's really up to you. I would recommend to start with the 4 initial survivors and then progressively make the different kits when you get a grasp of what combinations of armor/weapons you favour, for you won't be able to match all possibilities even closer (9 gear slots per player allow for a huge variation). I tend to focus on weapons, not armor, so I try to provide bith a male and a female character with each of the main weapons you will be using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Battarra
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mb
godhelpme89 wrote:

After an unsuccessful magnetizing attempt (may try again later). I decided to build some generic/often used equipment patterns. I concentrated mainly on weapons/equips regardless of armor.
It works better with the rawhide/leather/Screaming sets since they are not so visually specific. So mu leather/male/shield+scrap sword works for most of the shied/sword armored guys.
I did not build any unarmored survivors with daggers or founding stones (I use the base ones for those equips).

I did build a number of White Lion sets that can work both as full sets or generic girls/guys, but during my sessions I four that I rarely built more than a couple of the advanced sets.
For example I did build a male Gorm set with a gaxe, but I'll wait a bit before building the other three: any survivor with a zambato imho can be a proxy for a rib blade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
n3x3n wrote:
just the base game and expansions is best I think. The survivor level just has lots of extras that have no playable purpose other than cool looking miniatures.

This.

I have the survivor level but wish I'd gone for base+ all expansions whilst they were cheap.

I like the extra minis and characters but they never get used. I've so far played 30ish LY's over 4 campaigns and only ever used the starting survivors. Funnily enough, last night I pulled out the rawhide armour kit to think about which kits to build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.