Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Bigler
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had 3 games where someone recruited the Interrogator fairly early in the game. Each time this person ended up with 5 or 6 Assets and won the game fairly easily.
We think this Asset is overpowered as is.

After the last game (I won my first game of I, Spy) we considered removing this Asset from the game. Later I thought that perhaps the cost should be 10 Supply Tokens or maybe more. That way no one would be able to recruit this until late in the game.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Hawkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
My experience is that the interrogator is more threatening than it is actually effective. I recall thinking it seemed very powerful at first glance, but once my group got more experienced at the game, we found out that good positioning can make it very difficult to pull off the steal. And also that the prospect of simply not buying any assets (for fear that they might be stolen) doesn't really doom anyone.

The problem as I see it is that if you really plan to get good use of the Interrogator, it restricts you to a very narrow course of action: ~1/3 of the cards you play for the rest of the game will be Trace and Extort, and if you're throwing your full weight behind that plan, you probably don't have time to to political things, reactively sabotage, etc.

I guess I'd just say that... like most Assets, it helps certain nations and hurts others. I think the biggest impact is probably anti-France, in that it makes it very undesirable to recruit (Marthe Richard) and thus everyone is much less incentivized to Smuggle. Right now, I only ever buy it when I'm Britain, as it's a sure way to make people Evade.

Either way, I agree that it is a game-changer of a card.

Right now, the only asset that I think might be overpowered is the one that gets you the Seduce card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Bigler
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tactic they used was indeed to not recruit Assets until the end of the game. So I was the only one recruiting - I only stole one Asset.
They did also try to take Supply tokens to limit my supply, so Smuggle was used often.
As it turns out, I was Britain, so Evade and Courier Line were used a lot.
I was a bit lucky on Politicians where Britain was not hurt much and France got hammered - although no one was France.

In an earlier game when my son recruited Interrogator, we tried to stay away from him. However, other players were incentivized to play Trace once in a while and we became easy targets for him to go last and use Misdirect to go first the next time. He then used Extort on his first turn next round to steal an Asset.

Thanks for the comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grendel's Mother
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Could you please remind me what the Interrogator Asset does and how much it costs to recruit? I have played a good deal of I, Spy, yet I do not remember this card coming into play for any of our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Hawkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Tzitzimime wrote:
Could you please remind me what the Interrogator Asset does and how much it costs to recruit? I have played a good deal of I, Spy, yet I do not remember this card coming into play for any of our games.

"When using Extort, you may opt to steal one of the target's Assets instead of stealing or gaining any supply tokens"

Cost: 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.