Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C Gallant
Canada
Fredericton
New-Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read all the articles FFG has posted on their site and I've watched the GenCon videos. I'm really pumped about this game, it is right up my alley.

I love the game play, I love how they implemented all the mechanics.

My group and I have played a lot of campaign driven boardgames in the past few years. We've played two of the pathfinder card game sets (RotR and S&S) along with many games of Shadows of Brimstones and Mice and Mystics.

I've also played the two first cycles of Lord of the Ring LCG.

My worry here is that if the box only comes with 3 scenarios, you'll be done and begging for content in no time waiting for the Mythos packs...

Pathfinder and Shadows of Brimstones had loads of scenarios right out of the box which accounted for close to or more then 10 hours in the core box.

Let say each scenario is 1 hr in the core box of Arkham Horror, that means the core box only has 3 hours of play time.

I didn't mind it as much with LoTR LCG because I would try a bunch of combinations of decks and I actually failed a few times the 3rd scenario.

In Arkham Horror though, it seems the story unfoldes wether or not you succeed the scenario, so I don't really feel like replaying the scenarios with all the different characters. What I really want is to complete the campaign with my starting character and see it develop and later when it's over, I can restart the campaign like I've done with Pathfinder card game.

Anyone else worried about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With a few difficulty levels and different characters to play through the scenarios as I think the core will last more than a few hours. That said I do anticipate us dying for more packs rather quickly. I wish they would provide concrete information on their release schedule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eden Hansen
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also play Pathfinder, and the way we have done it in the past is playing each "chapter"through with each character. I am thinking this is how we are going to do it, my husband and I are going to play once with each character. (We actually took a year to play through RotRL and are on our first character in S&S). Since the game comes with more than one character, you can try that.. Just a suggestion..might make it longer for your to play..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kealran wrote:
[...]

Pathfinder and Shadows of Brimstones had loads of scenarios right out of the box which accounted for close to or more then 10 hours in the core box.
[...]

I have not played Shadows of Brimstones, but pathfinder base set has the tutorial (3 adventures) and the first expansion (5 adventures) for a total of 8 missions.

There is no way it took you 10 hours to complete this content in 10 hours unless you count setup time (huuuuge for Pathfinder, lol). I would say that 20 mins per adventure is more reasonable.

Now, the missions in Pathfinder are all linear, with barely distinction between them. All cards are reused from adventure to adventure. It is a fun game, but it will not have the depth of the other one. If you were ok with repeating adventures in that game you will certainly want to repeat the ones in AH!

Also, do not forget thatpathfinder's MRSP 50% higher!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kealran wrote:

Not really.

Quote:

I didn't mind it as much with LoTR LCG because I would try a bunch of combinations of decks and I actually failed a few times the 3rd scenario

I feel the campaign system enhances, not hinders this replayability. LOTR has relatively little of one scenario altering another. Plus all the scenarios are playable outside of the campaign still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If their release schedule is even half of LotR we are gonna have a ton of content, I tried to keep pace in the 1st year but it's next to impossible to keep up with 2 kids and a job
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
kealran wrote:

Yes.
I see the possibility of replayability in the box, both with different difficulty levels, different characters, and different paths one could take in an adventure. So there is replayability there.

However, there is not replayability in the form I am looking for, or in the form that is part of how the game is announced - as a partial storytelling campaign system.

See, I come from the Roleplaying side of gaming, and while I enjoy boardgaming and all that it entails tremendously, I see it as something distinctly apart from Roleplaying. Mostly. Now, this is a game that promises me something that I have not done before - the combination of a storytelling, partial roleplaying aspect, even a continuous play option in that it provides (and is mainly tailored to) a campaign style play.

As a roleplayer, what I intend to do, then, is chose a character and stick to it. And tell this character's story in playing through the different adventures. Kinda like when you roleplay a campaign or somesuch. This also means that I will only want to switch characters when the first one dies or goes permanently insane. But even then, I would not start with the adventures at the beginning, again. I would continue the story with my coplayer's character (if he did not die at the same time, in which case all bets could be off).

What I want from this game is the option to play a contiguous campaign, in "card game" fashion aswell as storytelling fashion. And that means the same character will not be able to (in my opinion) live through the same adventure yet again, because that would render the previous experience and the impact it had on the character useless and derivative.

On the basis of this intention, I am also worried that there won't be too much replayability in regards of a contiguous character story - and not enough scenarios available at any time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure you can find better things to worry about. I suspect you'll buy it anyways. Update us in a month!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
True - at least for me.
Still I hope. I would so love this game to cater to what I would like. But then, it is a little unlikely.

Chances are I'll buy it, play it a little, and then either purchase the scenarios, only to resell them afterwards, or stop purchasing at some point. Like I recently did with A:NR, albeit for different reasons...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
kealran wrote:
[...]

[...]

I have not played Shadows of Brimstones, but pathfinder base set has the tutorial (3 adventures) and the first expansion (5 adventures) for a total of 8 missions.

There is no way it took you 10 hours to complete this content in 10 hours unless you count setup time (huuuuge for Pathfinder, lol). I would say that 20 mins per adventure is more reasonable.

Now, the missions in Pathfinder are all linear, with barely distinction between them. All cards are reused from adventure to adventure. It is a fun game, but it will not have the depth of the other one. If you were ok with repeating adventures in that game you will certainly want to repeat the ones in AH!

Also, do not forget thatpathfinder's MRSP 50% higher!

i think Eden plays as i do. all the characters go through each scenario.

so, if they are 2 players and they have 7 characters, each scenario is played 3 times at least. 8 scenarios gives you 24 plays, and then, 8 hours is even few ones. (16 hours is more probably)

i'm playing S&S right now, this way, and no play goes down 1 hour. (3 characters, solitaire, and one more location for increase difficulty).

sorry for off-topic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Haven't they said somewhere that the release schedule will be a deluxe expansion first, with a new campaign included, followed by a cycle of 6 mythos packs, associated with the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kealran wrote:
I've read all the articles FFG has posted on their site and I've watched the GenCon videos. I'm really pumped about this game, it is right up my alley.

I love the game play, I love how they implemented all the mechanics.

My group and I have played a lot of campaign driven boardgames in the past few years. We've played two of the pathfinder card game sets (RotR and S&S) along with many games of Shadows of Brimstones and Mice and Mystics.

I've also played the two first cycles of Lord of the Ring LCG.

My worry here is that if the box only comes with 3 scenarios, you'll be done and begging for content in no time waiting for the Mythos packs...

Let say each scenario is 1 hr in the core box of Arkham Horror, that means the core box only has 3 hours of play time.

I didn't mind it as much with LoTR LCG because I would try a bunch of combinations of decks and I actually failed a few times the 3rd scenario.

In Arkham Horror though, it seems the story unfoldes wether or not you succeed the scenario, so I don't really feel like replaying the scenarios with all the different characters. What I really want is to complete the campaign with my starting character and see it develop and later when it's over, I can restart the campaign like I've done with Pathfinder card game.

Not sure that I'm fully understanding the problem - but haven't you solved it yourself with your 'What I really want' sentence (bolded) right near the end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
kealran wrote:

Yes.
I see the possibility of replayability in the box, both with different difficulty levels, different characters, and different paths one could take in an adventure. So there is replayability there.

However, there is not replayability in the form I am looking for, or in the form that is part of how the game is announced - as a partial storytelling campaign system.

See, I come from the Roleplaying side of gaming, and while I enjoy boardgaming and all that it entails tremendously, I see it as something distinctly apart from Roleplaying. Mostly. Now, this is a game that promises me something that I have not done before - the combination of a storytelling, partial roleplaying aspect, even a continuous play option in that it provides (and is mainly tailored to) a campaign style play.

As a roleplayer, what I intend to do, then, is chose a character and stick to it. And tell this character's story in playing through the different adventures. Kinda like when you roleplay a campaign or somesuch. This also means that I will only want to switch characters when the first one dies or goes permanently insane. But even then, I would not start with the adventures at the beginning, again. I would continue the story with my coplayer's character (if he did not die at the same time, in which case all bets could be off).

What I want from this game is the option to play a contiguous campaign, in "card game" fashion aswell as storytelling fashion. And that means the same character will not be able to (in my opinion) live through the same adventure yet again, because that would render the previous experience and the impact it had on the character useless and derivative.

On the basis of this intention, I am also worried that there won't be too much replayability in regards of a contiguous character story - and not enough scenarios available at any time...

I think their use of the word 'roleplaying' primarily relates to the (somewhat inaccurate) meaning of the word as character improvement between or during adventures, rather than the storytelling meaning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this goes the way of most FFG games that they intent to create loads of expansions for, the starter box will have enough in it to decide whether you're "in" or "out" while keeping the financial investment as low as they can. That does mean that it's likely to feel in need of an early expansion with sufficient content, which they provide a deluxe as the first expansion, should be OK. They did say that the campaign is the primary gameplay mode, but you should be able to play random scenarios outside of the campaign so you can explore other characters and other "builds" (much like in PACG). I don't think replayability will be a major problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kealran wrote:

Yes and no.

I have played the game last weekend (LCG nationals here in germany) and it is superb! Tons of fun and the impressions were great. The campaign play and deck evolving will be amazing.

The first (and demo) scenario is pretty small, and I don't think it offers much in terms of replayability. While you can play Journey Along the Anduin (LotR LCG) dozens of times, this has the "problem" of having more story and theme, which (while great, of course) also lowers the replayability of specific scenarios. Once you know what awaits you, you can still play it, but it will be purely tactical, as the story is told by the scenario cards that do not change. And tactical choices (at least in the first scenario) do not so much depend on the randem elements.

Now that first one is fairly simple and straightforward, the others will offer some more diversity and maybe choices, which will allow you to replay them and see something new a few times at least.

But, overall, I think this will need new scenarios more and faster than the LotR LCG does.

At least we know that they will come 1/month, roughly.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Haven't they said somewhere that the release schedule will be a deluxe expansion first, with a new campaign included, followed by a cycle of 6 mythos packs, associated with the box?
Could you please verify that by giving us the source comment / quotation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enroth186 wrote:
Quote:
Could you please verify that by giving us the source comment / quotation?

It's referencing this:

However, the key word in that paragraph is typically. We don't know that it will apply to the first cycle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gibson
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have thought that the core set will take the place of the deluxe for the first cycle (admittedly based on the way LotR did it) but it would make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the info in the articles on FFG's homepage there are decisions to make in each scenario that effect the scenarios that follow. Therefore they do have some baked in replayability beyond just one run through of the campaign. Also as other's pointed out switching up your deck for a given investigator or just playing as a different investigator also will give it legs. That certainly kept the LOTR core box interesting for me for a while. That said I don't think we'll wait long for the first cycle to start. Ever since the merger with Asmodee these LCG releases have been coming like clockwork.

Once the game starts accumulating player cards that also will help encourage you to play the older scenarios to see how they play with newer cards. I go back and play the first three core set encounter decks from the LOTR core quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's just my anticipation for this game approaching gibbering insanity levels but I fully intend to have an ongoing campaign for all 5 characters. Play through the core set quests with one person, record the results, start over with someone else.

The thing I'm most looking forward to is the character development over time and the deckbuilding so I don't think it's going to bother me to play through a scenario that I already know the story of.

Between this and LoTR still going strong I don't think I'm gonna get much else played for awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am worried that I will not have enough time to keep up with their unrelenting release schedule.

With over 35 titles in my library, these "LCG" monthly releases are nearly impossible for me to play through all of the content that will quickly become available. I often find myself at the game store, realizing that I am 4 or 5 monthly releases behind, then after purchasing them, I get a group together to play 1 of them, lol.

Maybe a good way to start is to pick the game up 3 months after release. The price will most likely be less than MSRP by then (unless their promise to restrict online retailers actually kicks in with this title), and there will be 3 additional scenarios, with a mid sized release announced by then I bet.

I love FFG for having the vision and resources to churn out content for quality games, and anticipate I will fall months behind their release schedule simply due to the lack of time I have to play. Guess thats a good problem to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
habanero wrote:
I am worried that I will not have enough time to keep up with their unrelenting release schedule.

With over 35 titles in my library, these "LCG" monthly releases are nearly impossible for me to play through all of the content that will quickly become available. I often find myself at the game store, realizing that I am 4 or 5 monthly releases behind, then after purchasing them, I get a group together to play 1 of them, lol.

Maybe a good way to start is to pick the game up 3 months after release. The price will most likely be less than MSRP by then (unless their promise to restrict online retailers actually kicks in with this title), and there will be 3 additional scenarios, with a mid sized release announced by then I bet.

I love FFG for having the vision and resources to churn out content for quality games, and anticipate I will fall months behind their release schedule simply due to the lack of time I have to play. Guess thats a good problem to have.

That's a legitimate concern that I also had - but the fact that it's a co-op means that, whilst the distribution of the game is that of a traditional LCG, the playing of it isn't.

There's not a meta you have to keep up with. There's no opponents with better decks than you, with you needing the latest packs to compete with.

It's more like a board game - buy the core and play it. When you feel you want more, there will be deluxe boxes and mythos packs to enhance and expand your experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.