Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's to keep the Captain from using forms of the following patterns to continually clear the X's from the engineering board?

NNNE (clear red)
SSSE (clear gray)

Or a larger one:

WSESWSW (clear yellow) NE (clear gray) NEN (clear red)

Seems a little complex, and you can't always do them from any position, but it does reduce down to a repeatable pattern with no surfacing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashish Nair
msg tools
I haven't played the game yet, and sorry if this is silly, but wouldn't that mean they are easier to track by the opposing team?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe. I'm hoping that it's either too predictable or just too difficult (in the real-time version) to pull of anything that repeatable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first two will be doable from some spots, but the second will be pretty much impossible. It's more or less a diagonal movement, and I don't think it would work with the island placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Nothing is to stop you. You can start with a NNNE, NNNESSSE, or possibly something similar to fill some boxes quickly but sooner or later you'll need to start moving tactically to chase down the enemy. Also if you NNNE to run away, the opponent can do the same to follow you and keep shooting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You generally do try to follow these patterns but you cannot always because you will hit islands and other junk. You are also not allowed to touch your own path similar to the game snake, so you cannot go WWWE (which sounds like some wrestling thingy anyway).

I hope it helped

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would imagine doing this would also keep you in a constant state of almost every system having a breakdown, so you'd seldom be able to activate anything except when you deviate long enough from this pattern to clear a system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Bim-Merle
United States
Trail Creek
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

Or a larger one:

WSESWSW (clear yellow) NE (clear gray) NEN (clear red)

I believe that this pattern crosses over itself on the third E move (the penultimate move) and so you could not use this pattern to avoid surfacing because you cannot cross over your previous route unless you erase it by surfacing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Blank
msg tools
On the second E, even - going SWNE is a little loop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Houghton
Michigan
flag msg tools
Actually, I have found this pattern to work very well, and it can be used in many places on the board:

ESSSWWWNNENNEENN
You can use a system after the 4th move (drone or sonar?), then the second E mark against the orange circuit. The last 2 Ns just clear the orange circuit again and at that point most of your systems are live.

nothing prevents it, I generally tell captains to go east every once in a while and avoid long stretches the same direction.

I've also thought a v pattern could work:
NNNENNNESSSESSSENNNENNNE
But it gives your enemy a pretty easy guess to your position.

If you're going to do some of these moves in the opening game, draw it on your ROs map before the game starts and try some positions to see how easy it would be to track you, and help choose a good starting point. Once you've gone through the opening game, though, your movement is going to be more tactical and patterns give your opponent easy mine placement guides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.