Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried this tonight for the first time. It was fun but seemed to go on and on. I didn't see any of the piles depleting before we decided to call it. Maybe our purchases wer not aggressive enough but is there something I'm missing as far as pulling out some cards or a mechanic to shorten play time for two players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Were you discarding cards that are not purchased after two rounds? When the round is over the cards shift to the 2nd row, and then they are discounted by 1, the next round cards on the bottom row are discarded, making room for more cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you probably missed that after the upgrade cards, all the cards in the discount row are discarded, the upper cards move down to the discount row and have a one discount (but never pay less than one). So, you burn at least 8 cards every two turns; each deck has only about 30 cards.

As far as play, often people buy big point cards too early and make themselves too poor. As general guidance, the first couple turns should be all about making money, except for the blue Observatories and the Warehouse. Take Aristocrats or Aristocrat upgrades that are mostly points and just keep them in your hand, in the first round or two. Especially in two player, you want to come into the second round with lots of money to buy more workers (green).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ ♫
Italy
ravenna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules clearly state which cards to discard before play in 2 players games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matmo wrote:
The rules clearly state which cards to discard before play in 2 players games.

Perhaps that's another version?

My rules say:

wrote:
SAINT PETERSBURG for 2 or 3 players:
The game runs exactly as with 4 players, but with the following changes:
Before the first worker phase, the administrator places only 6 worker cards with 3 players and only 4 worker cards with 2 players.
But, in the other phases, he always adds to 8 cards

This only suggests that the setup is different to allow more cards to come out on the building phase. It's not saying that cards are removed from the game.

And we were discarding the lower pile each time. But I am certain we were both guilty of taking expensive cards super early so we were out of money at each phase or only had a buck or two. I mean ruble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
And we were discarding the lower pile each time. But I am certain we were both guilty of taking expensive cards super early so we were out of money at each phase or only had a buck or two. I mean ruble.

Expensive building (blue) cards are usually the trap. Especially two player, you have to go for Aristocrats (orange/red) and their upgrades. But, I wouldn't play a high VP Aristocrat upgrade in the first couple rounds; I won't even take the Czar into my hand (because it takes so long to get it bought, but this may be a mistake). An expensive Aristocrat, like the Judge or the Mistress (except the expansion-modified 3 ruble Mistress) usually works out, and a general rule for first round is to make sure you have at least 18 rubles going into the Aristocrat phase. (I would still buy the Observatory and use it to draw a worker into my hand, but not everyone agrees with this.)

Also, experienced players think a lot about how many cards are going to be available in the next phase, so they tend to buy or put into their hand additional cards, which causes more cards to be burned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
In any case if you have no money and can never buy anything, a lot of cards will be discard each round. I can't think of any reason for the game to last more than about 7 rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.