Subject: Best engine building games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theodore Moffett
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Hey everyone,

I have acquired about 25 games over the past 2 years and there are many game types that I really enjoy. One of those is engine building. The games that I own, which I feel fit this category are Splendor (in spite of what everyone says, I really enjoy it, it is simple and easy), Imperial Settlers, Steampunk Rally (although I actually find the engine building in this one a little lackluster, even though it is quite literal), Dominion (your deck is basically your engine), and aspects of Agricola and other worker placement games.

I find building a robust engine a very fun aspect of any boardgame. If that is the main goal or kind of necessary but not the point (like Dominion) I am still a big fan. I have heard of Saint Petersburg being a nice engine builder, although lots of people say it is dry. Are there any other engine building games that people have experienced are awesome?

I would really appreciate all opinions and help you can give concerning this topic. Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gordon
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor might be a little light but I find it really distills the engine building.

Similarly consider The Builders: Middle Ages also in a similar vein. Shorter play times too!

I like many of the Ascension: Deckbuilding Game and it's family members for engine building but I would recommend trying it in app form. It has a more tactical feel to the engine building. Some people are turned off by this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moffettt wrote:

The games that I own, which I feel fit this category are Splendor

tyrone_jones wrote:
Splendor might be a little light but I find it really distills the engine building.

To actually answer your question, Saint Petersburg is very good, and given the fact you like Splendor, I imagine it is a good fir for you.

San Juan (second edition) and Race for the Galaxy are also worth considering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars

This game is amazing...best engine builder I have ever played
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is the quintessential card-based engine builder. A terrific game and one of my favorites.

Goa is a classic title with a lot of engine-building focusing on your personal tableau. It also features a great auctioning system that makes you carefully keep tabs on your money.

Keyflower is a mixture of many mechanisms, but there's a strong engine-building face to the cities you are building.

Arkwright is a rich and heavy (and long) game with a lot of engine-building aspects, although the market manipulation in it is just as big of a part (if not more) than your production engine.

Food Chain Magnate is not a normal engine-builder, but it definitely has a strong buildup element. You will accomplish much more per turn late in the game with a big beefed up company, but by the time you reach that point, the game will be in the twilight phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gordon
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
moffettt wrote:

tyrone_jones wrote:

To actually answer your question, Saint Petersburg is very good, and given the fact you like Splendor, I imagine it is a good fir for you.

Yep I blame one week old baby for the poor reading comprehension.

I stick by the builders though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tyrone_jones wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
moffettt wrote:

tyrone_jones wrote:

Yep I blame one week old baby for the poor reading comprehension.

I stick by the builders though

I apologize for the snarkiness. You have your hands full with much more important things than game recommendations.

And congratulations BTW. You should have a new gaming partner in about 5 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Saint Petersburg is very good, and given the fact you like Splendor, I imagine it is a good fir for you.

All three are excellent suggestions. I forgot how much I enjoyed St. Pete until I lost at a game earlier tonight.

Bruges and Seasons also have strong engine building feels to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Aww...man! I only came here to suggest Steampunk Rally...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like Fleet a lot.

Also, Scythe has engine-building elements.

And if you want a filler, Monsoon Market is pretty decent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saint Petersburg (second edition)
Keyflower
Spyrium
San Juan / Race for the Galaxy / Fleet

Bruges is a great game, but Its more of cards that just work together, than an actual engine.

Maybe
Abyss
Olympos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't think there is a "best" engine builder. There are so many great games that have engine building. As a fellow engine lover, here are a few suggestions:

Puerto Rico and any of its descendants (San Juan (second edition), Race for the Galaxy, Roll for the Galaxy). Among shorter lighter games, these have some of the strongest engine building feel. My personal favorite is San Juan.

La Granja, a dice placement and card play farming game. A little fiddly, but very satisfying to build up a good VP engine.

Another literal engine builder like Steampunk Ralley but moreso is Steam Works. This is a fairly complex and puzzly game, but basically, you are combining tiles to create engines that generate VPs (usually by converting chains of multiple resources).

Recently I picked up Oh My Goods!. This is light card game is all about creating resource conversion chains (i.e., grain->bread->processed food).

And the biggest engine builder that I've ever played is Roads & Boats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Fleet at the moment.
Lewis & Clark has same cool micro engines that move the big one along.getting to really like this one as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:

Really? It didn't seem so to me

Mystic Vale lets you build a pretty cool engine if you're lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From those that I've played I'd say Nippon and Glen More.

The Bloody Inn as well has some engine building aspects and overall it's a great card game.

And as other have already mentioned, Fleet too is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kandolin
Finland
Lempäälä
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel Russian Railroads (Especially with the german railroads expansion) is a great engine-builder. You can really set your mind on a set of things to go for in the beginning and really have explosive turns later in the game. Sure, it's not pure engine-building I guess, but it's a terrific game!

Another brilliant worker placement that is definitely Engine-Buildery is Voyages of Marco Polo! Again, you can decide in the beginning which city cards to go for and then start comboing them together for massive scores

Also, I feel Terra Mystica and Tzolk'in the Mayan calendar both have engine-building feels to them, but again, not pure engine builders.
In Terra mystica I think it's mostly due to the round-bonuses and how well you can implement a stratey to create a point-generating machine for you in the long run

That's a few. Also have to mention Council of Four by the creators of Marco Polo and Tzolk'in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads and Boats is my favorite engine builder, but it is not for everyone.

I was coming here to suggest 51st States Master Set, but I see you already have Imperial Settlers, so it might be too similar. You still might want to check it out just in case.

+1 for Race for the Galaxy and Roll for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Another vote for Race for the Galaxy.

You might like Peloponnes Card Game that is engine building but set against various catastrophes going off at unpredictable times that might tear into your engine quite catastrophically (forgive the pun) which is off putting for some players. I really like it.

Nations: The Dice Game is a light, dice based engine builder (presumably its big brother Nations is as well but I haven't played it) that is also quite fun.

I love engine building games and really need to get some more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory to Rome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've only played the tablet and PC version, but I think Star Realms is a great engine/deck building game. I love how the cards work together and build off each other to become more powerful... Its a very satisfying feeling when it all comes together..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Along the same lines as Race for the Galaxy I would add Eminent Domain.

I also feel like Suburbia has that vibe to it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.