$30.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Madeira» Forums » Rules

Subject: Guild favor "The Bishop" 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roberto Verde
Italy
Caserta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it has been discussed, but although I have read the whole thread, I can not understand the "reminder" note.
Could someone explain it to me?

Thank you.

"The player moves any one of his Action Markers.
He takes it from any Building (whether already resolved, currently being resolved, or still to be resolved) and places it on any other Building (whether already resolved, currently being resolved or still to be resolved).

Reminder: A player cannot use this Favor to move an Action Marker into the currently resolved Building if he does notalready have an Action Marker on that Building."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is perhaps best explained with an example:

Because you can only activate a guild favor on your turn, assume for the moment that your three action markers are on the three buildings in regions three and one at the beginning of the building resolution phase. Assume further that you wish that one of your action markers was on the mill in region two.

Because the mill is the first building resolved, and because you don't have an action marker already there to trigger your turn such that you could play the bishop, the note is reminding you that you couldn't activate the bishop to move one of your action markers into the mill when the mill is resolved--because you have no marker there already so it is not your turn, and hence you won't be able to play the bishop until one of your action markers in region one is triggered (at which time putting it in the mill would not give you the benefit of that building, because the mill would have already been resolved).
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Verde
Italy
Caserta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I understand now, but... what puzzled me now is why I should move my marker on the mill if I have a marker there already (bold text)?

Maybe you wanted to say "move marker from mill"?

Anyway, thank you.

aeroguru1978 wrote:
Because the mill is the first building resolved, and because you don't have an action marker already there to trigger your turn such that you could play the bishop, the note is reminding you that you couldn't activate the bishop to move one of your action markers into the mill when the mill is resolved--because you have no marker there already so it is not your turn, and hence you won't be able to play the bishop until one of your action markers in region one is triggered (at which time putting it in the mill would not give you the benefit of that building, because the mill would have already been resolved).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd move a marker to the mill even though you already had one there specifically because you wanted to avoid paying the cost of (or taking the pirates associated with) another building where you'd otherwise have an action marker.

As an example, assume you have an action marker on the city watch in Region 3, but no workers in Region 3 (such that you'd get no benefit from paying for the City Watch building other than avoiding the pirate cost). In this example, if you already had a marker on the mill, when it is your turn you'd use the bishop to move your action marker from the City Watch to the mill. The additional action marker on the mill doesn't give you an extra ability associated with the mill, but it allows you to avoid paying for the City Watch when that building is resolved.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't you have the ability to use the bishop before passing in phase B?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I'd use it in that circumstance if I were trying to avoid paying for a building. More frequently, I'm actually using the Bishop in Phase C to gain the use of more buildings (i.e., using a building and then later moving the action marker from the already used building so that I can use an additional building later in the same phase).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes doubling up would be ideal, but if you want a building action that will be resolved before any of your action markers, it can be used in a pinch.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So you could move your marker to a building where you dont already have one?? This confused me too. I understand now how u could use it to avoid getting the pirates from somewhere else but you habe three total action markers. Could you effectively use the bishop to gain the ability from 4 buildings instead of the three?

Also, dont you only get the benefit of a building once even if you have two action markers on it? So there wouldnt really be a benefit to doubling up on one building right?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
So you could move your marker to a building where you dont already have one?? This confused me too. I understand now how u could use it to avoid getting the pirates from somewhere else but you habe three total action markers. Could you effectively use the bishop to gain the ability from 4 buildings instead of the three?


Yes. Assume for the moment you have an action marker in the mill, the captaincy, and the customs house. You could let your action marker on the mill resolve, and then when the captaincy is being resolved, you could use the Bishop to move your action marker that was on the mill to the guild palace, for example. This way, you would get the benefit of the mill, the captaincy, the customs house, and the guild palace all in the same round (assuming you have enough money to pay for all of them, of course).

shooshoo wrote:


Also, dont you only get the benefit of a building once even if you have two action markers on it? So there wouldnt really be a benefit to doubling up on one building right?


Correct, no additional benefit from that building (even with two action markers, you only pay once and get to utilize the building once), just the benefit of not having to pay for whatever other building that second marker would have been on (if you are short on cash and don't want to take pirates).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.