Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I just updated to the most recent version of Vassal a few days ago, and for some reason I am now unable to pick up pieces or cards and transfer them from a window to the game board or vice-versa. For instance, I'm currently playing 1960, and I can't get my cards onto the debate board; they simply miss the window and end up in Nebraska or wherever. Same thing is happening with other modules as well.

Have I accidentally screwed up the settings somehow? Help! (I'm using a Mac, btw.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting - a buddy of mine is having problems seeing cards in an inventory window. I posted the pic of what it looks like to me and to him:

on the VassalEngine forum and it came down to a MAC problem.

Super Joel will probably come in here and solve your problem. If not, you may want to create an account and post it to the Vassal Forum directly. That's where the experts hang out:

http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=6784...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:
Have I accidentally screwed up the settings somehow? Help! (I'm using a Mac, btw.)

Most likely it's a Java version issue. When it uses a wrong old version it may have bugs like this. Even if you installed a newer version, when you have multiple versions (like Java 8 but also Apple Java 6) it may take the wrong one.

In VASSAL.app/Contents/MacOS/VASSAL.sh:

# find Java
# try Apple's Java 6
JAVA="/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Commands/java"
if [ ! -x "$JAVA" ]; then
# try Apple's Java 5
JAVA="/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Commands/java"
# try Oracle's Java 7
JAVA="/Library/Internet Plug-ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java"
# try whatever's on the PATH as a last resort
JAVA="$(which java)"
# you seem not to have Java
osascript -e 'tell app "System Events" to display alert "VASSAL requires Java in order to run. Please install Java before starting VASSAL." as critical buttons {"OK"}'
exit 1
fi
fi
fi
fi

It starts there with Apple Java 6. In mine I edited it so tries to load my Java 8 JDK first:
# find Java
#try Java 8 JDK
JAVA="/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_101.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java"
# try Apple's Java 6
JAVA="/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Commands/java"
# try Apple's Java 5
JAVA="/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Commands/java"
# try Oracle's Java 7
JAVA="/Library/Internet Plug-ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java"
# try whatever's on the PATH as a last resort
JAVA="$(which java)"
# you seem not to have Java
osascript -e 'tell app "System Events" to display alert "VASSAL requires Java in order to run. Please install Java before starting VASSAL." as critical buttons {"OK"}'
exit 1
fi
fi
fi
fi
fi

Ofc this is far from ideal as it's fixed to a certain version, and when I update I will have to remember to change this too. But it did fix my VASSAL graphics bugs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ofc this is far from ideal as it's fixed to a certain version, and when I update I will have to remember to change this too. But it did fix my VASSAL graphics bugs.

Strange that it's hard coded like this instead of just relying in "which java".

Unfortunately, even after modifying this shell script, I still see the same tiling issue that Judd mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:

Strange that it's hard coded like this instead of just relying in "which java".

The VASSAL developer works on Linux himself, so OS X is not his main interest. I think most of the stuff is leftovers from previous installments, where Apple first exclusively maintained Java for OS X, then wanted to get rid of it and had Oracle take over supplying Java. I don't know if "which java" always worked for the older Javas.

Quote:
Unfortunately, even after modifying this shell script, I still see the same tiling issue that Judd mentioned.

The issue Judd mentioned could have a different cause from the drag-and-drop issue Sean described, and the graphics glitches I have experienced. All I can say is to check the Java version loaded in Module Manager > Help Menu > Show Error Log. If it's Java 8, then you modifications worked, and it must be something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely using Java 1.8:

Quote:
2016-09-15 08:06:59,154 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - Starting
2016-09-15 08:06:59,178 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - OS Mac OS X 10.11.6
2016-09-15 08:06:59,178 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - Java version 1.8.0_101
2016-09-15 08:06:59,178 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - VASSAL version 3.2.16
2016-09-15 08:07:02,769 [0-AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager - Manager

At this point I'm guessing that it's an issue with the widget itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Uckelman
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bdegroot wrote:
The VASSAL developer works on Linux himself, so OS X is not his main interest. I think most of the stuff is leftovers from previous installments, where Apple first exclusively maintained Java for OS X, then wanted to get rid of it and had Oracle take over supplying Java. I don't know if "which java" always worked for the older Javas.

The reason for checking for versions of Java in this order is as follows:

Originally there was only Java 5 on OS X. Java 6 had loads of bug fixes over Java 5 on OS X, so we wanted to use 6 in preference to 5. `which` wouldn't reliably find 6 first, so we couldn't rely on that---but we needed it there as a last resort. Java 7 has some horrendous graphics bugs on OS X, so when that was released, we added it to the check order after 5. The script hasn't been updated for Java 8, which is why 8 is not there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can this problem be resolved by deleting Java and going back to an older version? I'm getting ready to cut this module loose and I was hoping to have a better answer than, "Sorry -- that's what you get for buying an Apple." Folks probably wouldn't take too well to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
Can this problem be resolved by deleting Java and going back to an older version? I'm getting ready to cut this module loose and I was hoping to have a better answer than, "Sorry -- that's what you get for buying an Apple." Folks probably wouldn't take too well to that.

It didn't work with older versions of Java on Mac, either. I was originally using an older version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This used to work for us back when we playtested it. What changed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
This used to work for us back when we playtested it. What changed?

Nah, it didn't work then, even. I was either playing from the Windows side (via Bootcamp) or just dealing with it. But, I was running an old version of OSX at the time (and hence Java), so I just figured it was because of the version. That turned out not to be true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.