Deep Madness» Forums » General

Subject: Water mechanics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being that this game is set underwater is there going to be underwater mechanics where rooms could end up flooding suddenly and such? I'd love to see something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm pretty sure they said there is a possibility of drowning, so I gather rooms will be flooding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Ho
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Rooms will be submerged during setup or gameplay. There are 3 special rules about submerged rooms:

1. The drowning.
An investigator has to reduce 1 oxygen level before taking an action in submerged rooms. The oxygen level is tracked by a drowning dial. When the level is below zero, the dial will show an increasing number of dice which the investigator has to roll, each non-success result(neither 5 or 6) will force the investigator to take 1 wound, if he's still alive after that, he may continue with his action. However, if the dial reaches the last degree(death), the investigator is drowned to death instantly, even healing cannot save you from this.

At the end of each investigator's turn, he will check his oxygen level. If he's currently in an unsubmerged room, he will fully recover his oxygen to the maximum. If he's in a submerged room (even though he has been in an unsubmerged room during this turn), the oxygen level will remain unchanged.

So when you are about to take a lot of actions in submerged areas, it's very dangerous for not having a long term plan.

2. More easily to be trapped.
An investigator could be trapped by the monsters in the same space, if the sum of the monsters' Trap value is equal to or larger than his Escape value. He cannot move out of his current space because of that. And the investigator's Escape value is reduces by 1 when he's in a submerged room.

3. Block LOS.
Submerged rooms will block line of sight from unsubmerged rooms, and the opposite is the same. So for example, if you want to take out a monster in a submerged room, you have to jump into the water first. It brings more strategical challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacy Read
United States
Waterford
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you open a hatch into a submerged room, will the unsubmerged room become submerged?

Maybe I'm nitpicking here, but it seems odd that you can move freely between an unsubmerged room and a submerged room that has a drowning condition through a hatch that can be left open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bogdan Alexandru Barbu
Romania
Bucuresti
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Stacy,
I made the exact same point and I believe it to be a valid one. The entire "submerged" theme feels very much "tacked on" and underdeveloped. If fully and creatively explored in my opinion it would have set this game apart from other dungeon crawlers. As it stands it feels like a missed opportunity.

Nothing new here to write home about it:
- the oxygen dial=stamina track gimmick,
- the difficult movement=rough terrain and
- LOS is no different than other LOS from other similar games.

Imagine if the "flooding" would have been somehow randomized and treated as a dynamic rather than static condition, catching investigators by surprise and unpreparedsauron. Having to fight and to escape from a room against a timer would be a lot more realistic in my opinion. No oxygen breathing issues until the room gets fully submerged and then the timer is replaced by a quick and merciless "drowning" mechanism. Underwater breathing gadgets and special gear and weaponry adapted to aquatic environment could be included to enhance survivability and grant more "deep water"flavor to the game.

They should have allowed the actual deep madness of the water element itself and all that it implies be the actual Monster of all monsters in the game! And the structure of the mining station should have included some sort of intermediate air/water locks with pressure pump controls in between rooms to allow passage from submerged to clear rooms and vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
Uuurrh! I let him in, uuuhh, was that not cool? Arrrarrh...
mbmbmbmbmb
barbalex wrote:
And the structure of the mining station should have included some sort of intermediate air/water locks with pressure pump controls in between rooms to allow passage from submerged to clear rooms and vice versa.

I hope they explain the water not spreading around thematic. I am very close to backing this but that little thing really bothers me. (If it has been explained somewhere or if I'm missing something please share!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Bergenstråle
Sweden
Luleå
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well thematically, couldn't the water in the rooms be controlled by the evil forces that creates the monsters? I imagine the laws of physics might get disrupted when something like that happens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
Uuurrh! I let him in, uuuhh, was that not cool? Arrrarrh...
mbmbmbmbmb
as3bes4 wrote:
Well thematically, couldn't the water in the rooms be controlled by the evil forces that creates the monsters? I imagine the laws of physics might get disrupted when something like that happens

Sure, it wouldn't be the worst thing I guess, just blocks of water standing still that you can walk/swim through. But I would like confirmation if that is the case, and don't feel I need to make up too much excuses myself in a game that should be highly thematic and emersive...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.