J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So preview season is in full force and they've spoiled a grand total of TWO Mystic cards. surprise As an avid magic user in all games which allow it, and someone who will be snap-picking Agnes as my investigator for the campaign, I'm chomping at the bit for some more info on the Mystic class. With that said, what types of cards could they use the Arcane slot for? Are we talking scrolls or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Spells, I believe. Probably a high-risk, high-reward sort of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rsdockery wrote:

I wonder if FFG will keep with idea that spell-casting has a cost, namely on one's sanity, as it does in Arkham Horror the board game, which is a concept I like and really makes you weigh up the cost of spell-casting against the potential reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rsdockery wrote:

Hmm...possibly. We've seen the only spoiled spell so far, Blinding Light is an event. If you look at the preview pic of the game in play in most of the articles, it has Agnes on the left and Skids on the right.

She has 2 cards in front of her, one of which appears to have an arcane slot in the lower right. The cards also have resource tokens on them. So yeah, maybe they're repeat use spells that you have to use "magic" (resources) to cast them.

sapper_D wrote:
I wonder if FFG will keep with idea that spell-casting has a cost, namely on one's sanity, as it does in Arkham Horror the board game, which is a concept I like and really makes you weigh up the cost of spell-casting against the potential reward.

Well in the case of Level 1 Blinding Light, if you draw any of the special symbols besides Elder Sign, you take a horror (and lose 1 action)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Books, talismans, various mystical objects... I'm hoping for a Shining Trapezohedron at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that magic/spells/etc makes for a good theme for its own update, which may be why we haven't seen much of those yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
The spell asset that Agnes has appears to be pretty similar to blinding light. It has limited uses like the weapons, triggers a fight but uses willpower instead of combat, and has a similar trigger based on the bad chaos tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect to see Arkham Files staples such as Wither, Shriveling, Dread Curse of Azathoth, Flesh Ward, etc.

Maybe even a arcane type that upgrades FROM Wither TO Shriveling TO Dread Curse of Azathoth?

Or maybe we'll see "Blessings/Dark Pacts?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.