Subject: Mortars & Night Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have a few questions regarding mortars and how they interact with night rules, specifically in FF3. In this FF it is night for the first 3 rounds, with visibility being reduced to 2 hexes for all units as a maximum "normal" range in the first round and 1d6 in rounds 2 & 3. Attacks may still be made at twice this amount at no penalty.

Both sides have mortars in this FF, with the American mortar being capable of Flares and the Japanese being capable of Smoke. The flares card says that the mortar can drop a flare anywhere in its "normal range", even without LoS to the hex. I am assuming "normal" here means "unmodified", so basically they can drop a flare wherever. Cool, so far so good....

Then we come to regular mortar attacks. 2 hexes is less than a mortars minimum range and the rules for indirect fire state that a mortar still uses itself and NOT its spotting hex to count range. Thus, during night combat in the first round, it is my assumption that mortars could only target things a total of 3 or 4 hexes away, and that these would all be "long range" attacks due to the nighttime visibility restriction. Again, so far so good (at least I think)...

Then we come to the smoke. The smoke card says they can drop it anywhere in their Fire Zone. Fire Zone is defined as being within their Arc of Fire, in their LoS, and within its range. This leads me to believe that "Long Range" does NOT count for a unit's Fire Zone. Thus, the mortars the Japanese have cannot fire smoke for the first round as the normal range is below their minimum, and long range smoke firing is not allowed.

TLDR of my interpretations:

1. During the first round mortars from both sides may fire at a max distance of 4 hexes and suffer a Long Range penalty. Normal fire is not allowed as anything beyond 2 hexes is long range and anything shorter than 3 is below their minimum.

2. Flares can be put basically anywhere on the map, so long as it is within the normal maximum range of the mortar and in its Arc of Fire.

3. Smoke cannot be used at all in the first round, as Long Range firing of smoke is not allowed and the normal range on the first round is below the mortars minimum. (this is incorrect, Long Range firing of smoke is allowed, see below)

I think this is all right, but can someone please verify that I am correct or show me where I am missing something? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

*Edit* Minor correction, the 60mm mortar of the Americans has a minimum range of 2, so it is technically capable of a normal attack in the first round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this FF. But, sounds okay to me. However, shouldn't it be possible to fire a flare (not requiring LOS) and then sight farther for remaining mortar rounds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pisqueeter wrote:
I haven't played this FF. But, sounds okay to me. However, shouldn't it be possible to fire a flare (not requiring LOS) and then sight farther for remaining mortar rounds?

Yes I would think so. As only the Americans have Flares it means the Japanese mortars are out of luck unless the Americans flare their own troops. The other issue with this is it takes their normal AP Fire value to fire the flare, so they can then only fire one time at most I imagine.

Also, this still means Smoke is useless for the Japanese for awhile (unless as stated the Americans Flare a place the Japanese want smoke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kartigan wrote:

Then we come to the smoke. The smoke card says they can drop it anywhere in their Fire Zone. Fire Zone is defined as being within their Arc of Fire, in their LoS, and within its range. This leads me to believe that "Long Range" does NOT count for a unit's Fire Zone. Thus, the mortars the Japanese have cannot fire smoke for the first round as the normal range is below their minimum, and long range smoke firing is not allowed.

Apparently my assumption that "Long Range" disqualifies something from being in a unit's Fire Zone was incorrect. In 10.1.2 under group attacks, the rules state that a supporting unit must have the target hex in their Fire Zone AND be within "normal range" not long range. This certainly implies that Long Range targets are still within a unit's Fire Zone which means that Smoke is usable by the Japanese in Round 1.

This makes sense I suppose, as the Fire Zone rules (6.3) state that a unit can attack any enemy that is in its Fire Zone would have to include Long Range targets anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this FF and all your questionning as also comes in our minds while playing.

I noticed that the Mortar can fire smoke at normal and long range but for the flares it is(only?) normal range. Under 15.1 Flares it is said "target hex must be in unit's Fire Zone" and on the Flares Weapon Card it is writen "normal range". It's a little confusing.

Is it possible to uses Flares at long range?

Edit: I think I got it! Since Flares are only available in night time firefight, what is written on the Flares weapon card as priority over the night rule for the FF.

So if Night time FF says maximum normal range is 2, a U.S M2 60mm Mortar can use the Flares within is normal range(that's 2-12). No LOS required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can Mortars fire Long Range? Or the range shown on the couter is the max.range?

3-18 mortar can fire up to 36 hexes but past 18 it is long range? Or 18 is the max range and it is always normal range(unless some night rule modify the units attack range)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes because the rules don't say they can't (by which I mean that firing rules of Section 7 are not overridden by specific mortar rules). The mortar rules specifically prohibit firing less than minimum range, but no limitation is given to long range. (I referred to AtB2 rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.