GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,200 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Heroes of Normandie» Forums » General

Subject: Heroes of Normandie vs Shadows over Normandie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luiz Borges
Brazil
Araraquara
flag msg tools
mbmb
How different are the experiences on both game mechanically (ignoring theme)?

How many scenarios are available on each one? Is there a random scenario generator of some sort?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zhouluyi wrote:
How different are the experiences on both game mechanically (ignoring theme)?

How many scenarios are available on each one? Is there a random scenario generator of some sort?

Well, SoN is based on HoN, so they are pretty similar. SoN adds more fantastical elements and (since it is Mythos based) also adds things like Terror to the game and you also climb through creepy caves and such.

Edit to add: Since the scenarios available for SoN at the moment are the introductory variety, it is hard to comment on how the scenario style will advance. I understand that DPG is planning to add more of a "campaign" focus with character advancement and an investigation focus but that is still in the future so for now the two games are still pretty close in my opinion.

As for "Random Scenario Generator", both games have a point-based system where you can build your own army and they have a system for generating different base scenarios, leaving specific details such as terrain choice up to you. That is how I play most of my games -- My usual opponent and I just agree on a point total, and then we put together a map and play a game. Works fine for us.

As for pre-generated scenarios, there are a lot more available for HoN. Since HoN is a more mature product, there are Gazettes and Scenario boxes that includes more official scenarios. There are also more player-generated scenarios as well.

However, there are some new official SoN scenarios in the works, so support for that is actively in development. There are some real fans on the forum that are also hard at work on some of their own scenarios. HoN just has a head-start

That is all my perspective on it, anyway. Let me know if that answers your questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Borges
Brazil
Araraquara
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, this is exactly what I wanted to know.

One futher question, are the scenarios "compatible". I mean, is it possible to use a HoN scenario on SoN just changing the factions (and maybe adapting some different terrain)?

Nostradunwhich wrote:
However, there are some new official SoN scenarios in the works, so support for that is actively in development. There are some real fans on the forum that are also hard at work on some of their own scenarios. HoN just has a head-start

This is what I thought too, but the BGG page for SoN looks pretty empty, like there is no userbase, or the game is not on par with HoN. The forum that you mentioned are on the DPG site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Cotter
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's really no reason to mix the two games. Either you want a war game or a fantastical game. The rules are the same, except one includes units that create horror and have magical effects.
Because the latter doesn't include tanks, I think it plays better, plus DPG'd had experience enough to hash out a few kinks (the cards in SoN have a basic secondary effect they can be used for, which is a great addition). But there isn't that much out for it as yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.