Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I come from the land of Eldritch Horror where one is constantly resting to remove damage and horror. I just started playing the second scenario of MoM2E and find it impossible due to the rapid accumulation of horror.

I have parsed the rules and AFAICT, you can not "cure" damage or horror consistently (i.e., like resting). The only way seems to be to cross your fingers and hope to find items or spells that do it for you.

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some characters can heal damage and horror. However, if you only have the base game I think it's only one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want to hopefully be avoiding the damage and horror in the first place. Thankfully, you should be able to negate most of the damage/horror that you would otherwise take.

For that damage/horror that does slip through (or that you don't get an option to negate), the only healing you'll usually have is via items you find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. I have the base game only and the only character that comes close to heal-on-demand is Preston who can discard 1 of his own face down horror cards when he gains an item.

Given all of this, I am stumped as to how one could beat the second scenario given that...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
...each character WILL get SIX unavoidable horror by the end of day three.

I'll keep banging my head against the wall till I sell the game on ebay I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grahamers2002 wrote:

That didn't happen to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Grahamers2002 wrote:

We are talking about the "Rising Tide" scenario, right? It is the second most difficult one. As far as I can tell...

At the end of each day when the investigators return to the hotel, they are told to gain horror equal to the day # that just ended. I.e., you get one horror at the end of day 1, two at the end of day two, and three at the end of day three. (We lost twice in day four, now, so I don't know what happens as far as horror in the end of day four.)

Are you sure this didn't happen in your play through?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Gopen
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Grahamers2002 wrote:
Clipper wrote:
Grahamers2002 wrote:

We are talking about the "Rising Tide" scenario, right? It is the second most difficult one. As far as I can tell...

At the end of each day when the investigators return to the hotel, they are told to gain horror equal to the day # that just ended. I.e., you get one horror at the end of day 1, two at the end of day two, and three at the end of day three. (We lost twice in day four, now, so I don't know what happens as far as horror in the end of day four.)

Are you sure this didn't happen in your play through?

Escape from Innsmouth is the second scenario. AND second most difficult...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, since you have the conversion kit you can really use any of the 1st edition characters. Just use a different mini as a proxy. I don't think Rising Tide uses 1st edition tiles, so you could even tell the app you have 1st edition stuff so that you can input those characters (which may affect Mythos effects and starting items).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Rising Tide yet. I thought you were indeed talking about Escape from Innsmouth. Rising Tide appears as the 4th scenario in my app, although I guess it does report itself as the 2nd easiest...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lindberg
Sweden
lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using investigators from 1 ed can be quite helpful eg doctor heals damage, psychologist horror professor deals out clues etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Rising Tide is stupidly hard, e.g. Badly designed. Since you can't consistently heal damage/sanity with just the base game (never found any healing items in the scenario).

Bad, bad, bad design, removing agency from the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you can hope for one of the healing spells. Or you can change your characters to be the high sanity ones and expect someone to go insane if you're unlucky.

It's not a game where you can plod through every scenario with the same characters and get the same mileage. Some characters are better than others in certain scenarios. Kinda like Overwatch.

But, other than that, just HOPE that you get the spell that cures madness. Or... just homerule it in to your opening hand if you're not having fun.

It is definitely a rough scenario considering that there is no way to remove madness normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played the first scenario and Rising Tide so far, but I actually like Rising Tide due to the fact that you get a lot of items. You constantly have to decide between the investigation and the area surrounding you. In my play through, I found a few items to help with sanity and damage (was playing solo), but one really bad roll ended the game after someone went insane twice and was eliminated. Overall, I think it is a good scenario, but definitely an endurance challenge.

Back to the topic at hand, the app provides you with enough to cooperate, but you have to be careful most checks are not that difficult provided you're playing to your strengths. Your dice are your only limitation and especially in Rising Tide it seems like you gain lots of clues. Use those to your advantage and save the other items for when you really need them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Grahamers2002 wrote:

Given all of this, I am stumped as to how one could beat the second scenario given that...

I agree that's weak, but the obvious solution is to only use characters with 7 Sanity or higher for that scenario (I'm not sure if that's possible with only 2nd edition investigators). Other than that
there is whiskey in the Billiards room in the 1st location (the hotel)

The thing with Rising Tide is that it is only this artificially weakening mechanic that gives it any challenge at all as the mystery is almost literally child's play. Without this contrivance to bestow insanity on some characters the scenario would merit a 1 star for difficulty in my opinion. I totally agree it's a poor design and a poor way to bump up the challenge of the scenario. For me, it's pretty flawed from the ground up. Easily my least favourite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Grahamers2002 wrote:
Thanks all. I have the base game only and the only character that comes close to heal-on-demand is Preston who can discard 1 of his own face down horror cards when he gains an item.

I'll keep banging my head against the wall till I sell the game on ebay I guess.

* Use characters with high Sanity thresholds.

* Preston Fairmont and Agatha Crane are good choices since Preston can discard horror and Agatha at least benefits from the Horror checks.

* There is Whiskey in the Billiards room for emergencies

* Even if you take the max horror, that character goes insane and then removes the rest of their facedown horror. Some Insane conditions have betrayal mechanics, but the majority of them don't.

* Plenty of 1st Edition Investigators let you use Remove Horror. Carolyn Fern can use Actions to flip or discard Horror for investigators in range. Jenny Barnes, if she has no clues, can discard a horror and gain 2 clues. Bob Jenkins can also remove Horror from interacting with NPC's, which is very helpful for Rising Tide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone.

Question about the conversion kit: I had assumed that if I added the 1st Edition content to my collection in the app so I could use the investigators, it would add the map tiles and monsters I don't have as well, which would cause a broken game experience.

Besides, one should not have to purchase extra (and old) content to beat a scenario, especially if it is one of the starting four released with the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Grahamers2002 wrote:
Thanks, everyone.

Question about the conversion kit: I had assumed that if I added the 1st Edition content to my collection in the app so I could use the investigators, it would add the map tiles and monsters I don't have as well, which would cause a broken game experience.

Correct in theory.

BUT

This scenario only ever uses 2nd edition tiles so as long as you don't mind proxying figures it is totally playable with only 2nd edition base (the monsters tokens work fine without the miniatures of course).

The same is true of 'Escape from Innsmouth'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Grahamers2002 wrote:
Thanks, everyone.

Besides, one should not have to purchase extra (and old) content to beat a scenario, especially if it is one of the starting four released with the game!

If you don't mind proxying for the investigator figurines, it's probably fine since the conversion kit comes with the monster tiles. If it happens to use any first ed. map tiles, you can always proxy those with 2nd ed map tiles; just place the wall/door tokens as necessary to make sure the layout is correct.

Additionally, no, you do not need to buy the 1st edition content to beat this scenario. My gaming group has beat Rising Tide on three different occasions and we were using only 2nd Edition stuff each and every time. I was just saying that there are some 1st edition figures that could make this particular scenario easier if you were having that much trouble with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
riboAWEsome wrote:
Yeah, Rising Tide is stupidly hard, e.g. Badly designed. Since you can't consistently heal damage/sanity with just the base game (never found any healing items in the scenario).

As others have noted, Rising Tide is a very monster-lite scenario, and part of the gameplay of MoM2.0 is learning about the scenarios and choosing investigators better suited to them the next time you play. So your "agency" is in realising this and choosing investigators with higher Sanity values in your next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
BreadRising wrote:

* Preston Fairmont and Agatha Crane are good choices since Preston can discard horror and Agatha at least benefits from the Horror checks.

A "horror check" is only in regard to taking horror from monsters (of which there are very few in Rising Tide).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
riboAWEsome wrote:

As others have noted, Rising Tide is a very monster-lite scenario, and part of the gameplay of MoM2.0 is learning about the scenarios and choosing investigators better suited to them the next time you play. So your "agency" is in realising this and choosing investigators with higher Sanity values in your next game.

That may well be so, but still not a fan of dishing out unavoidable horror. Still love the game though! Just not that specific scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.