Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Levi Hobbs
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
No matter how intense I may get about enjoying boardgames, I hope I never forget to simply be an amateur.
mbmbmbmbmb
An Ode of Ore and Office:
So I pulled this out again tonight after months of not playing it (like most games in my collection). I had played the solo once before and the score wasn't very exciting (70-something, where the "magical" suggested high-score to beat is 100).

I pumped out dwarf children as fast as possible, one per round starting on the first round you can wish for children.

I also discovered the Office tile for the first time during this game...it lets you build your dual tiles (tiles that are shaped like rectangles, not squares) so that part of them overhangs your board, and every time you do that you get +2G! So I took this concept and ran with it...ended up with 5 more rooms/mines in my cave than would have otherwise been normal by the end of the game.

I did a lot of ore mining and ruby mining. Capitalizing off this, I got the ore storage, treasure room, and stone storage rooms, which give bonus points for ore, rubies, and stone, respectively. These got me a ton at the end.

I also got a tile that gave +10 if you had all 6 dwarves. Realizing that the special room that's only for a 6th dwarf gets you +5, I feel like getting a 6th dwarf is a great idea, especially in a solo game where you know you can get him with about 4 rounds after to get use out of him besides all those points!

For food I lived off animals and did a few strategic actions throughout the game as well. Letting things build up to 7/8 things and then taking the actions was important, but not always.

Anyways, I was pretty excited when I totaled up my score and got 134!

I have kept looking for how I might have inadvertently cheated, but I can't find anything I did wrong...the 6 dwarves...how resources get cleared (it's only when there's more than 6 at the beginning of a phase)...how the office works...I can't find any way that I cheated. Feel free to let me know if anything occurs to you.

Here's pics of the endgame:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kerrison
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
levininja wrote:

I have kept looking for how I might have inadvertently cheated, but I can't find anything I did wrong...the 6 dwarves...how resources get cleared (it's only when there's more than 6 at the beginning of a phase)...how the office works...I can't find any way that I cheated. Feel free to let me know if anything occurs to you.

It's 6+ before refilling that triggers the clearing (unless you pay a ruby), not more than 6. The English rulebook is mistranslated, but it's clarified elsewhere. Regardless, a very good score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B N
Germany
flag msg tools
You forgot to cover the three Actions, that you have to Cover for playing solo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.