Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I see that XCOM: Evolution is now being listed for pre-order here in the UK.

Does anyone - anywhere - have any information of what is in the box? From the photos I have seen, it is definitely a small box expansion, with maybe 4 figures and a few cards (though these pictures could just be for illustration and not reflect the total components).

I own the base game and am very happy with it. I got it here for £33. With the app, board, soldiers, interceptors, UFOs, and the stacks of cards I am of the opinion that the base game represents solid value for money. But at £22 for the expansion (with pre-order discount) I am not so sure ... so, has anybody got any idea of just what we are getting for this expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a playtester I thought the added gameplay was well worth that price. But yeah, you won't get a lot of actual material. 3 minis for the new Mechs soldier type, a new D6 for the alien dice when doing Dangerous tasks, chits for EXALT (it's a tiny punchboard, roughly the size of one of the small Eldritch Horror expansions). I do think there's a solid amount of new cards though.

Like most games, expansions are a bit less bang for the buck and are for people who really want to expand the base game. But if you do love XCOM I think you'll find the added gameplay elements worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for those constructive comments Jean-Phillipe, much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
As a playtester I thought the added gameplay was well worth that price. But yeah, you won't get a lot of actual material. 3 minis for the new Mechs soldier type, a new D6 for the alien dice when doing Dangerous tasks, chits for EXALT (it's a tiny punchboard, roughly the size of one of the small Eldritch Horror expansions). I do think there's a solid amount of new cards though.

Like most games, expansions are a bit less bang for the buck and are for people who really want to expand the base game. But if you do love XCOM I think you'll find the added gameplay elements worth it.

I like the game enough that the expansion would have to have terrible reviews for me not to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They said at Gencon it will be available Q1 2017... so it looks like we won't have it in time for Xmas. I hope they make it... it's not really a big deal for the little content there is and, after all, they announced it in August.
J.Philippe, did you end the testing in July?

August-December is 4 months to produce a decent number of cards and just 3 miniatures. As of the app, the content is already in the pc game. When your rules are ready it's as easy as 1-2-3 to code in the new features because you already did the rebalancing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GShock112 wrote:

If he was a playtester, he probably signed an NDA, so he might not be able to answer that sort of question...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
GShock112 wrote:

If he was a playtester, he probably signed an NDA, so he might not be able to answer that sort of question...

Actually testers are in violation of NDA if they even say they were testers before the game is released.

All NDAs of FFG are like that, I doubt this is any different

All the info you can get is from FFG site. Hopefully they will give more previews

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It was a useless question anyway.
With the announcement of the release obviously the testing phase is concluded. JP didn't say anything we don't know already: it's on the FFG website and in the videos of the GenCon.

However, the real question is when exactly did they start shipping to the printers, which is something he can't know, only the DEVs know exactly how long it will take.

I really, really hope I can get this expansion to play with my cousins and their children at the Xmas table (we're something like 30 people with many tables and if I bring the Spartacus game there'll be a fight on the Xmas eve... there ALWAYS is when me and my family play it... bwhahahahaha)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.