Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikolaj Laczynski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came across a rare (but interesting) situation. The score was tied after my opponent potted the last black.
Have You considered what happens in such a situation?

I looked it up in the snooker rules and the black is respotted an the players continue after a coin toss to determine who starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mikolajl wrote:
I came across a rare (but interesting) situation. The score was tied after my opponent potted the last black.
Have You considered what happens in such a situation?

I looked it up in the snooker rules and the black is respotted an the players continue after a coin toss to determine who starts.

I completely overlooked this, so thanks for bringing it up.

I've come up with the following, based on the idea of respotting the black, which I think works. I'll incorporate it into the next version of the rules (once the contest is over).

Obviously there is no actually need to use the cards as you could simply roll the dice, but I think it is in keeping with the build up to such an important shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Laczynski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. This looks like a good (and thematic) solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyrill Melai
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Once I could recite whole episodes of Dexter's Laboratory.
mbmbmbmbmb
I encountered my first match that required a respotted black.

Before looking up this thread I knew existed I expected the ruling to say something along the lines of this:

Switch the cue ball and the last ball potted by your opponent, i.e. the black ball, as per the normal rules, but leave the black ball face up. It is now your turn to attempt to pot the black ball from its current position. Take on the pot per the normal rules.

Perhaps this would make a nice alternative. I like it because it has a change to add some more tension if the black ball and cue ball are ackwardly placed relative to each order.

Also, I would be tempted to remove the line that makes your opponent automatically pot if you fail. Most opponent will pot it anyway and those few that could miss could create some drama that way.

Either way, the respotted black adds great drama to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that would work as well.

You could, I suppose, play whatever 'house rules' you prefer for this scenario.

The original rule follows the spirit of the real game (where the black would have been potted and then re-spotted) so I'm tempted to stick with that when I update the overall rules (shortly).
However I do agree that the line about your opponent automatically potting if you fail can be removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.