Alexander at Tyre» Forums » Rules

Subject: Siege units in combat questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BrentS
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m progressing with learning this fascinating game. I’ve done the scenarios solo and am setting up for my first crack at the campaign, which I’m also hoping to get to play face-to-face. Some of the mechanisms are unusual and the rules aren’t perfect, but with the errata document and some careful re-reading of the rules and examples of play I have most of the wrinkles straightened out, with a few exceptions, which involve siege units. I have no realistic expectation with such an old and rarely played game that I’m going to get an official ruling or that anyone will have any clearer idea of the correct answer than any common sense solution I come up with, but would be interested to know if anyone has any thoughts on these.

1. Ram attacking a repaired breach - does the ram destroy only a single repair point or the total number of points it inflicts on the CET? The latter would seem to be the most likely interpretation but the wording of the rule is ambiguous.

Quote:
17.2 (3) Any further hits by a ram against a breached wall section ram (sic) reduces the Wall Defense Factor by one (to a minimum of zero).

2. Do siege towers and rams provide the mole with protection against Marine assaults? It’s not explicitly stated that they do but it is implied in a couple of rulings:

Quote:
21.2 Mole Damage – A mole section which suffers “Hits” greater than or equal to its strength plus any tower strength bonus is “Damaged” and its section marker is flipped to its back side.

Quote:
22.3 Fireship “Hits” – Tower column shifts do not apply but each infantry garrison in a mole location can absorb their two hits.

For the first of these, “tower strength bonus” is not defined anywhere else and the second implies that while fireship hits on the mole aren’t affected by the presence of a siege tower or ram, others (such as Marine assaults) might be.

Elsewhere it is specifically ruled that siege towers/rams provide protection to infantry stacked with them with a 2L shift (17.4 and 21.7). The mole isn’t mentioned here but the two quoted rules suggest that the mole is granted some protection by siege towers against Marine assaults. Would this be the same 2L shift granted to infantry or some other unspecified “tower strength bonus”, adding the tower’s strength to a mole section to make it 4? The former seems the more likely to me.

3. How do siege towers and rams behave in land combat? They’re obviously vulnerable and likely to be eliminated if attacked directly and I’d originally assumed that they wouldn’t engage in land combat in the way infantry do. However, the example of play on page 24, where Tyrian Marines attack a siege tower on the mole would indicate they do, as the siege tower counterattacks with its BCV of 0 and eliminates a Marine. Most of the rules in the Land Operations section reference “combat units” so given the precedent in this example I assume that includes siege units as well as infantry. That raises a number of questions:

- Do siege units make Rout and Rally rolls? (they explicitly don’t conduct Rout Movement – 21.7, bullet 5). My default assumption is that they don't, since they don't have a Ruoted side on their counters, but the Rout and Rally rules consistently refer to "units", not just infantry.

- Are phasing siege units obliged to make an Attack Designation if there are adjacent enemy units? (unlike most of the land combat rules, 10.0 only mentions infantry making mandatory attack designations…I would think it highly undesirable and probably fatal for a siege unit to do this and be counterattacked by an infantry unit).

- If a defending player had an infantry and siege unit stacked together and the infantry unit soaked enemy hits, would both counterattack, even if the siege unit wasn’t affected by the attack?

- A ram’s high BCV of 4 is clearly intended for attacking walls, but would it really use that in land combat when a siege tower only does so with a BCV of 0?

- Can siege units withdraw? (doesn’t seem logical that they could but 11.0 says “units” are eligible to withdraw and doesn’t specify infantry only).

- I’d assume a catapult’s BCV is only for catapult attacks and final fire, not land combat, but it’s not clear that, possessing a BCV like siege towers and rams, catapults can’t also engage in land combat. I’d note that in the example of the Marine Assault on Mole 4 on page 24, when the siege tower counterattacks, the catapults don’t and are eliminated with the siege tower (I’d have to assume they were attached to it, not just stacked with it), implying that they don’t engage in land combat…..but it’s not specifically stated anywhere.

4. Fireships - Do they make a single attack on the mole on the turn they land, and then get removed from play?....or do they attack turn after turn until destroyed (and if so, how are they destroyed?....do they effectively become land combat units and shift to the land combat section of the military operations sequence). The first option is obviously the simplest.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.