Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally posted this on the Evolution forum, but then noticed the number of subscribers - so I thought I would post here as well.

I see that XCOM: Evolution is now being listed for pre-order here in the UK.

Does anyone - anywhere - have any information of what is in the box? From the photos I have seen, it is definitely a small box expansion, with maybe 4 figures and a few cards (though these pictures could just be for illustration and not reflect the total components).

I own the base game and am very happy with it. I got it here for £33. With the app, board, soldiers, interceptors, UFOs, and the stacks of cards I am of the opinion that the base game represents solid value for money. But at £22 for the expansion (with pre-order discount) I am not so sure ... so, has anybody got any idea of just what we are getting for this expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
U could say: A little of everything

A new die (probably in combination with Exalt and the old Operations), new Enemies, new research cards, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can preorder but the problem is if FFG doesn't publish the release date whoever is not in the UK can't basically get it somewhere else. I'm gonna get it from Amazon (which means the closest, anywhere in the world with the fastest possible delivery times).

I have mailed FFG a few hours ago and will let you know of their answer.

What's the URL for this preorder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
The app will need an update as well which isn't free in addition to any box content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jond wrote:
The app will need an update as well which isn't free in addition to any box content.
The app update will absolutely be free, you just won't be able to use it without the new content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
chbyer wrote:
jond wrote:
The app update will absolutely be free, you just won't be able to use it without the new content.

I think what they meant was that updating the app wasn't free for the company to do, therefor some of the money people will pay for the expansion goes towards the cost of updating the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
At any rate the expansion can already be pre-ordered at some UK online retailers. Unfortunately the ETA for that to happen is showing a countdown in the orders of 112 days.

Correct me if I am wrong... is it immediately after Xmas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GShock112 wrote:
At any rate the expansion can already be pre-ordered at some UK online retailers. Unfortunately the ETA for that to happen is showing a countdown in the orders of 112 days.

Correct me if I am wrong... is it immediately after Xmas?

Hi everyone,

As far as the 112 days countdown is concerned, I suspect that as the release date is no more precise than Q4 2016, they put it as that amount as a matter of course. Imo, we will see the expansion before Christmas.

In accounting for the cost of the app being updated, I had forgotten/overlooked that. It would make sense to make sure the additional software development costs are covered.

I have heard some very positive comments about what the expansion brings to the XCOM table. When I think about what a single evening out at the pub would cost, £22 doesn't seem the end of the world.

Note: £22 is the cheapest I have seen it listed as, but that includes shipping in the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When you consider that the game wouldn't be at the printers (FFG website says so) if it hadn't been tested and approved for release, this means the plans for the app are already there (and so is the content, which comes from XCom2 videogame).

In other words, they must have made the calculations and inserted the new cards/enemies into the routine so the patch of the App is either in the final phase now or it has already been done.

The big push must have been in the balancing... I can't believe they'll miss the Xmas sales either... and I'm quite annoyed that the printing began 2 weeks after the announcement and the game is going to be released so late.

How many copies do they need to print all together before releasing it? Still... if you look at the app downloads... 100.000+ I suppose if we exclude the few n00bs who thought this was a cell phone game, those numbers really justified an expansion and if it keeps going so well it won't be the last one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
100.000 downloads for the app? That certainly does make it worthwhile to put out an expansion. If FFG do a good job of it, then yes, I would agree; there may be another one.

I hadn't thought to look at that, but now I am off to the Play Store to see what the download figures are for Descent: Road to Legend and Mansions of Madness (2nd Ed).

You know, if the downloads for the XCOM app are in any way refelctive of the game's physical sales, this would be very encouraging for game companies looking to mesh a board game/app combination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, indeed ... XCOM shows 100,000 downloads.

MoM2 and D2E:RtL each show 10,000 downloads.

I wonder what the figures are for Steam/PC and iOS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of the boardgame is responsible for at least half a dozen downloads before I finally got something both portable and capable of running the app.

On the other hand, with multiple platforms, there may well be copies of the game with no credited downloads in a particular store...

Anyway, for the argument that you don't need to produce 100,000 copies before selling it, but could do a phased rollout, where are you planning to start selling the game first? And how many sales will that end up costing you when people who would have bought the hot new thing forget about it by the time it reaches their town?

And you probably want to have the initial run fit well into standard shipping containers rather than spreading them around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not think that any sort of phased rollout is feasible either. I also realise that a person doesn't have to actually have the game to download the app (maybe just to check it out).

Still, the figures are interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The figures are very interesting indeed. Until the app reaches 200.000 downloads it will keep pointing out at 100.000 but we could be well reaching it and I'm sure we will reach it when the expansion is released.

Even if only HALF of those figures are real sales for FFG, I'd say it was a huge success. This game has a huge selling factor coming from the PC version which is a masterpiece in my opinion (and that's why Chris J is working on HUGE rule changes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.