5 Posts

Normandy '44» Forums » Rules

Subject: Evacuation and what`s the use of withdrawing the Rangers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Hi gamers,

I am a noob to the game and I wonder about rule 21.2 (Evacuation). Why would anyone withdraw the Rangers completely - sarcastically you could use them for battle `til they`re done, or not?

Otherwise I still have problems figure out exactly who will be replaced with what in this game. Seems more logical to me that the Rangers withdraw provides another unit (or replacement)? Hm, you see I am confused on this point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Withdrawing the Rangers is not optional. Once the Germans have no units within four hexes of Pointe du Hoc, the Rangers must go. I'm sure this was done by the designer to reflect the actual withdrawal of the Rangers after the initial penetration inland.

It's the sort of thing that most gamers would call chrome, though in this case, removing them isn't purely chrome, since if the Rangers were allowed to stay they would continue to offer a column-shift benefit to the US while they are still around.

Withdrawal of the paratrooper divisions is another thing. Because they tend to take a lot of casualties and because their replacement points are very limited, it might make sense for the Allied player(s) to withdraw them to Britain in order to reduce the cadre count, as explained in 22.2. I tried desperately to figure out how to get an airborne division home in my last game, but never could get them out of the line until doom struck and I lost to a German auto-victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep..

Rangers - must withdraw, otherwise players will find ways to abuse them in a non-historic use.

Airborne - due to the Allies losing if they hit a certain number of cadres, the allied player may want to pull out a heavily hit airborne division because those units then no longer count against the # of cadres.

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gregorio
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
As the Allies, the Rangers will be my cannon fodder for as long as possible, both on offense and defense. As the Germans, the Rangers are often sufficient reason to 'adjust' my defensive positions near Omaha to hasten the withdrawal of the Rangers.

It's a little weird but the net effect, i.e., Omaha expanding rapidly, seems historical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Thanx for all your good advice and info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.