GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,551 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Hostage Negotiator» Forums » General

Subject: HN Travel Edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Boyd
United Kingdom
Newtownards
County Down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just thinking out loud here after having played my first game last night (which was very good).

Looking at the game, I noticed that the majority of it is made up of playing cards, and I couldn't help but wonder if it'd be possible to make a smaller board out of cards, which would then mean you could store the whole thing in a deck box? You could probably fit the meeples and dice in it as well.

I know the game's small enough as it is and is pretty portable, but fitting it all into a deck box would be handy for travelling.

Has anyone tried this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Van Vlaenderen
Belgium
Lissewege
Belgie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm doing that for the playtests.

They're all added to a Dragonshield deck box where I sleeved the cards in.
I added a small ziplock bag for the dice and some meeples + small lego.

The board itself I haven't split, but I can imagine that it could be recreated on a few cards:
* Thread dial card
* Conversation point card
* 3 cards for the hostages

It's a very good idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Laczynski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a copy of the mat printed at Artscow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Boyd
United Kingdom
Newtownards
County Down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanVlaenderenP wrote:
The board itself I haven't split, but I can imagine that it could be recreated on a few cards:
* Thread dial card
* Conversation point card
* 3 cards for the hostages

This is what I was thinking. The folks behind the brilliant dice game Ancient Terrible Things added cards in their expansion that allowed you to play the game without the board (which is a heck of a lot bigger than HN's), which they specifically said was for travelling.

I know it would lose some of it's look, but you could probably redesign the circular threat and simply make it a straight track on one card, or make it an oval. And the same would be true for the conversation track.

Your three cards for the hostages is exactly what came to mind as well. You could shrink that even more to one 'pool' card but it has an arrow pointing up and the top to signify you put the saved hostages above the card, and an arrow pointing down for those killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Shugar
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
A travel version would be great...but it may freak out whoever is in the seat next to you on the plane or train when you start setting it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis (just my village's name)
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LD500 wrote:
but it may freak out whoever is in the seat next to you on the plane or train when you start setting it up!

If HN was using a countdown digital clock as well, then it would do the trick! hahaha!
And if the clock was shouting "Alahabour Alahabi" when reaching 00:00 (or however this arabic thing is written) then you would have total madness in the plane/train!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Shugar
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
There's another abductor card to buy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.