Stronghold (2nd edition)» Forums » General

Subject: How long does it play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about buying Stronghold but as always I must be cautious about the game being too long and ending up laying on the shelf or worse sold.

So how long is it for you? Box says 45-90min. 45' sounds like a dream - amazing but not achievable.
I will not play it often so I will never get super fast in it.

How long for first,second game?
How long after more plays?

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donatello23 wrote:
Box says 45-90min. 45' sound like a dream

cheers

great question, and I agree with the 45min dream.
My copy is in the mail, so I can't answer this yet.

I had the same conundrum with Star Wars Rebellion, only then they said it was a 4 hour game - which it is.

In that case tho, the game is great enough to overcome how long it takes (doesn't feel that long when playing it),
I got this game as a shorter head-to head epic game.
If I can play it in 1 hour, i will be ecstatic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Schuster
Germany
Ulm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing Stronghold for a while now and the last couple of sessions each took around 2h, which I think is the typical playing time for experienced players.
Your first games could easily take around 4h though, as you are still learning the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A A
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 hours for me, with 3 games. If a player have a considerely less experiences in this tipy of games that the other, your game will take less time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you aren't slow players I bet learning games (aside from teaching) will take around 3 hours. After some experience I think you could finish games in a little over an hour to an hour and a half. I doubt anyone could finish this game in 45 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
If you aren't slow players I bet learning games (aside from teaching) will take around 3 hours. After some experience I think you could finish games in a little over an hour to an hour and a half. I doubt anyone could finish this game in 45 minutes.

I agree. And it's enjoyable...not like it drags on or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iraklis Stratigis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some opinions.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1559944/poll-stronghold-2nd...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Peacock
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I consider it a 60-90 minute game. But's that's usually the amount of time it takes me to destroy my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben W
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
2 hours for first play we found. Quicker after that. 45 minutes if the attacker gets a quick win (we've seen two turn 3 wins in our group)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming competent play by both sides, I honestly don't see how it can come in at under two hours (a turn 3 win is defender negligence). You could do less by deliberately playing fast and sacrificing play quality. If it goes down to the wire and 7 turns, it'll probably push 3, even for experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cfarrell wrote:
Assuming competent play by both sides, I honestly don't see how it can come in at under two hours (a turn 3 win is defender negligence). You could do less by deliberately playing fast and sacrificing play quality. If it goes down to the wire and 7 turns, it'll probably push 3, even for experienced players.

Absolutely correct,

The biggest problem is that if you are playing and trying to consider every scenario it will take time, this has prooved to be longer than I hoped for, but also very tiring mentally.

I really enjoy the game, but I dont feel like playing again immediately after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben W
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
cfarrell wrote:

Wow, I don't see how it should be going anywhere near that long unless you have players that suffer from analysis paralysis. With our recent games (full 7 turns) it has taken about 90 minutes with experienced players. 2+ hours if a player is new.

But once players know how to play and are semi-familiar with the options, I can't see why it should (or does) go any longer than about 90 minutes unless a player is just slow at their turn. The choices are fairly easy to make and as long as your mathematics skills are at a basic level then your turns should be fairly quick. 3 hours is unacceptable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.