The Pursuit of Happiness» Forums » General

Subject: jobs and partners during setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
air show
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During first round (teen) jobs and partners (overtime too) are locked, so is impossible to obtain them, right?
During setup the rules say to put jobs and partners faceup on the board, but they're locked and during the next round upkeep phase they're discarded. So I see them, I cannot take them, and then I have to discard them.

Why? Isn't better to not place jobs and partners during first round?
Or maybe I missed something?

Thanks!
AS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never bother to put them out for the first round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Indru
Romania
Timisoara
Timis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second version of the rules say:

Quote:
In the first round of the game (the "Teen" round), all players are still teenagers, hence some actions are not yet available: Do not draw any cards from the Job and the Partner piles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mo
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
air show wrote:

Why? Isn't better to not place jobs and partners during first round?
Or maybe I missed something?

Personal preference I guess:

For our game, we followed the rules and put out the jobs and partners decks with understanding that we wouldn't flip over the cards to be selected (and the action spaces on the board had the markers on them to indicate that those actions are not available).

Looking at it from a rulebook authoring standpoint, I can see why they have you set up the game and "block" the spaces rather than leave the cards in the box - as was probably easier to write it in the rule book: At the end of the teens, remove the blocking markers from the Jobs and Partners action spaces VS set up the game with the Items/Activity and Project decks and at the end of the teens, go get the Jobs and Partners decks from the box. They can have a single "Set up the game" section vs one set up for teens and then part 2 for the rest of the game. The game does the opposite "block" action for old age - blocking the overtime space.

TLDR: All that said, now that I've played through - when we set up for another game though I may follow Garry's advice and leave the decks in the box until the second round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.