Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
One of the recent posts about the item decks, got me working on my Monsterlings again. I use handwritten cards at home, but thought that it was time to give them some proper layout.

I've changed the concept quite a bit since my initial post on the MCG forum. (http://megacongames.com/community/#/discussion/1342/monsterl...)

The new Monsterlings are much more "stand-alone" and each of them allows the heroes to use an unique action beside their transmutation power.

The basic idea: The party can aquire these little critters as a bonus reward when fighting mini-bosses and bosses. Once in the party's possession, they are a team resource. Any hero may play them either for their transmutaion effect (top half of card) or for their instant effect (bottom half).
When "using" a Monsterling, play the card in one of your action spaces ( all the usual rules for hero cards apply). In the next hero deck phase, instead of discarding the Monsterling, return it to the party pool along gold and serendipity.

The "Copper Rager" lets you discard a vitality potion and 6 gold to search the item deck for the first green item, that has a fate recipe with the rage symbol.
OR you can dicard an item with a rage symbol in its fate recipe to gain 2D10 for your next attack.
Either way the card counts as an reaction and you have to spent 1 AP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmb
I love it, if only for other uses for Gold. Often I'm up to my neck in Gold because Merchants aren't getting me what I need (or I'm pulling too many white chits from the treasure cup).

I could see a little Grubberling who you could pay to go "acquire" items for you, or go pick up dropped treasure for you, which would be useful in those big battles on large tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this may be your best idea yet. It adds to the game without changing the rules. how many of these have you got on paper?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
steprov wrote:
I think this may be your best idea yet. It adds to the game without changing the rules. how many of these have you got on paper?

1 for every fate recipe and item type:

10 level 1 -> gets you green equip
10 level 2 -> gets you blue equip

Then there are 5 or so level 3 that do some weird stuff...

The numbers might chance abit as I work through them but when it's finished, this mod should give you around 30 crafting "recipes".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Full set of Level 1 fate-symbol monsterlings!

Full set of Level 1 item-type monsterlings!

Hope you like them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This .... is awesome!

I think with all the content out there I am ready to print out a custom card deck if I can figure out printerstudio.com. I started working on one and found that if I didn't have the original pic just right I couldn't resize it correctly on the site so it just became a time-suck of trial and error.

If anyone has some tips on using printerstudio I can do up a deck with a bunch of custom content and post the link. I think the key is the source file needs to be of a particular size or maybe I am just doing something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobias, since you are so dang prolific and seem to love this custom content stuff, a suggestion to further this fantastic content is some custom quests that get you a monsterling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
steprov wrote:
Tobias, since you are so dang prolific and seem to love this custom content stuff, a suggestion to further this fantastic content is some custom quests that get you a monsterling.

I'm still working on the rules how to aquire them, but a custom quest to unlock them in general is a cool idea! Thanks!

That's the background fluff I've posted on the MCG forum for the Monsterlings. I'm sure, there is a fun quest or quest chain in there:

The Monsterlings are one of the earliest creation of Prof. Rustyspocket. Soon regarded as a failure because of their immense need for “fuel” and their uselessness in combat, he dismantled them. What happened then is unknown. One theory is, that Rustyspocket threw the parts into the wild, to see how and if his mechanical organisms were able to survive on their own. Others think, that the Monsterling parts crawled away from a giant, subterranian dumpsite, after feeding on tons of magical garbage from the Professor’s failed expermiments.
Whatever the truth, parts of the Monsterlings still surface from time to time and are highly valued for their transmutation powers by wizards and adventurers alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
And the first 5 Level 2s... Enjoy!

FYI: The Level 1s will all get a green flame to indicate they are "Novice" level.

The blue text indicates, that you need to discard an item of blue quality or better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is quite an imagination you have. Interesting idea for directed treasure finding. I suspect you're also interested in giving us something to do with our treasures that don't help us which is good.

You probably said this already, but these would presumably be cards that added to our deck rather than replaced something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
when you say primary do you mean discard a "blue" primary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
steprov wrote:
when you say primary do you mean discard a "blue" primary?

Yeap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
That is quite an imagination you have. Interesting idea for directed treasure finding. I suspect you're also interested in giving us something to do with our treasures that don't help us which is good.

You probably said this already, but these would presumably be cards that added to our deck rather than replaced something.

The cards are a party resource like gold and Serendipity, thus they are not added to any hero deck.
Instead, when you want to use them, you just take them, place them on a free action slot and then either use the top to transmute stuff or the bottom to get the instant effect. In any case you have to follow all the rules for playing hero cards when you use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm done with all the cards and will post the "official" V1.0 in the file section together with the rules!

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.