marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
We were debating how "Chieftain's council" card works. We needed confirmation that we did it right.

Here is our situation:
1. Aedui and Arverni are eligible.
2. The Chiefdom's council card lists Aedui first followed by Arverni.
3. The Carnutes region has Aedui and Arverni units.
4. The Aedui plays the event and chooses the Carnutes region.
5. Both players look at the next two cards.
6. The Aedui chooses to stay eligible.
7. The Arverni chooses a limited action and moves a pile of warbands into a Roman region.
8. Now it is the Arverni turn and they choose command+special action. They choose a battle + ambush versus the Romans.

Did we do this right. In other words, when you pick the chieftain's council card does it essentially give the second player 2 commands in a row on the same turn?

Text of the "chiefdom's council" card"

Select a Region with at least 2 non-German Fac-
tions’ pieces . Two or more player Factions there in above order look
at next 2 facedown cards, then may either execute a free Limited
Command (anywhere) or become Eligible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
We were debating how "Chieftain's council" card works. We needed confirmation that we did it right.

Here is our situation:
1. Aedui and Arverni are eligible.
2. The Chiefdom's council card lists Aedui first followed by Arverni.
3. The Carnutes region has Aedui and Arverni units.
4. The Aedui plays the event and chooses the Carnutes region.
5. Both players look at the next two cards.
6. The Aedui chooses to stay eligible.
7. The Arverni chooses a limited action and moves a pile of warbands into a Roman region.
8. Now it is the Arverni turn and they choose command+special action. They choose a battle + ambush versus the Romans.

Did we do this right. In other words, when you pick the chieftain's council card does it essentially give the second player 2 commands in a row on the same turn?

Text of the "chiefdom's council" card"

Select a Region with at least 2 non-German Fac-
tions’ pieces . Two or more player Factions there in above order look
at next 2 facedown cards, then may either execute a free Limited
Command (anywhere) or become Eligible

I wouldn't say it DOES - the faction has to be eligible already and come up ahead of anyone else eligible - but it certainly CAN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
Did we do this right.

Yes.

Quote:
In other words, when you pick the chieftain's council card does it essentially give the second player 2 commands in a row on the same turn?

If the 1st Eligible Faction executes the Event and selects a space where the 2nd Eligible Faction has pieces (which they did in your game), yes.

Otherwise, no.

/Oerjan
(Edited to get the quotes right)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks. I think it is an interesting card.

It came up again in a game I played this morning. I was Belgae. The Romans made a deal with the Arverni. The Romans took the card and picked Arverni as the second faction (they shared a region). The Arverni moved their biggest stack into the Belgic area with Ambiorix and the biggest Belgic stack. Then it was Arverni turn, so they battled with an ambush. They killed 14 warbands, 2 allies and Ambiorix in one shot. Now the Romans could ignore the Belgae for a few turns.

I like the card even though it was used against me. It is powerful but not for the player who takes the card. Its use is very tricky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
Thanks. I think it is an interesting card.

It came up again in a game I played this morning. I was Belgae. The Romans made a deal with the Arverni. The Romans took the card and picked Arverni as the second faction (they shared a region). The Arverni moved their biggest stack into the Belgic area with Ambiorix and the biggest Belgic stack. Then it was Arverni turn, so they battled with an ambush. They killed 14 warbands, 2 allies and Ambiorix in one shot. Now the Romans could ignore the Belgae for a few turns.

I like the card even though it was used against me. It is powerful but not for the player who takes the card. Its use is very tricky.
Arveni managed to inflict 17 losses?! They must have had almost all their warbands in that spot which means they are leaving a lot of allies undefended against Roman and Aedui interests. And with the Belgae out of the picture for a while that doesn't seem like a good position for the Arverni to put themselves in.
How did the game go from there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
We had to stop the game soon after, on account of time. The Arverni were OK. They had virtually their whole army in the Attrebates region, as you said.

The context is that the Romans were weak and the Belgic tribes were close to winning. The Arverni had to deal with the Belgae. So the Romans and Arverni made a deal. They made a peace agreement with a 4 card duration (we always keep our promises unless it is to stop a win ). The Romans gained the most since they will be able to concentrate on the Arverni for a while. But Arverni have 4 turns to get back into position and managed to prevent a Belgae win.

The Aedui are happy also since the Belgae allies are down quite a bit and the Romans will likely fight the Arverni next.

My Belgae are in bad shape. They will have to lay low for a while and build up while the others fight each other. Actually we will not continue the game but I enjoyed it. I don't mind being pummeled if the game is fun.

And the game was fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense for the Romans to make such an anti-Belgic deal in that circumstance. Usually, you don't see that because the Arverni don't want the Romans to be able to turn around and focus on them.

In the earlier example, it was the Aedui working with the Arverni to stick it to the Romans--also unusual, but certainly not unheard of.

Best, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
We are new to the game. We played 3 times last week and 3 times this week. Making mistakes. But here was a case of Rome very weak, Belgae strong. Arverni were not in a position to win before the winter. Only Arverni could stop the Belgae. So it was feasible. I agree that this was good for the Roman. But Arverni had to do it. Winter was near and they could not see another way of stopping my Belgae.

Each game we are learning new stuff. But we have not internalized all the commands and special actions yet. Good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
... But here was a case of Rome very weak, Belgae strong. Arverni were not in a position to win before the winter. Only Arverni could stop the Belgae. So it was feasible. I agree that this was good for the Roman. But Arverni had to do it. Winter was near and they could not see another way of stopping my Belgae.

Indeed! I meant to type "makes sense" [corrected now above].

After all, Caesar's was the classic case of "divide and conquer"!!

vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.