$15.00
Michal Kostan
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

a few more questions after last nights play:

1) If an indirect firing unit targets a hex it can self-spot that also contains a tactical recon marker, is the firing unit allowed to use the positive modifier for self-spotting and the modifier for the tactical recon marker at the same time?

2) The rules say that units utilizing direct fire can make any number of FF attacks per action phase (10.0). I assume this applies to non-phasing units as well as to phasing units. But does it mean that phasing units can also FF (e.g. in response to an enemy retreat) after they have moved/taken an action during the same action phase? And are they allowed to move/take an action in the same action phase after they have already fired using FF?

3) A concealed unit performed direct fire and is temporarily revealed. The revealed unit is then targeted by an immediately following ranged attack (5.3.1), which, as I understand, is resolved against all units in the hex, not just the revealed unit. But what about the modifier for firing at concealed units, does it still apply to the other units in the targeted hex (i.e. units that are not temporarily revealed) or is it ignored altogether because there is one revealed unit in the hex?

4) A hex is about to be attacked via combat (8.0) from two adjacent hexes, one of which contains just AFVs. Defensive support achieves a suppression result against the hex with the AFVs. Does the defender receive the 1L shift for suppression?

5) AFVs are overrunning (12.1.2) an all-AFV hex. After the first round of AT fire the defenders break off and retreat two hexes (9.3). Are the attackers allowed to assault (overrun) the same defenders again during the same action phase (if they have enough MP remaining)? And would the defenders be allowed to reaction fire at them as they approach for the second assault (overrun)?

Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes. Modifiers #6 and 10 are separate and cumulative.

2) This is true during the Action Phase but not during the Combat Phase (since each unit can take only one action during the latter). Yes, the phasing player can Reaction Fire or FF against a retreating enemy with one of his units that has already taken an action.

3) Yes, modifiers pertaining to other units in the hex apply. This is an undesirable consequence of drawing fire to a hex containing a stack of units.

4) Yes. Column shifts for Suppressed markers affect AFVs normally.

5) Yes, they can overrun the same defenders if they have enough MPs remaining to do so. Yes, the defenders could Reaction Fire as the moving enemies move from 2 hexes to 1 hex away.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will take a guess to test my understanding of the rules.Do not have them in front of me so this is not an open book quiz.

1: Probably only one positive modifier

2. I think FF can be performed against retreating units by units other than the ones that caused the retreat. Probably can take an action following firing FF

3. Ranged attack is against a hex,not a unit, so all of the units in the hex are revealed

How did I do ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess I failed the quiz. back to the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Kostan
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, thank you very much for taking the time to answer all of my questions.

This one's still a bit unclear to me, though:

duckweed wrote:
3) Yes, modifiers pertaining to other units in the hex apply. This is an undesirable consequence of drawing fire to a hex containing a stack of units.

So when performing a ranged attack against a hex with three infantry units, one of which is considered temporarily revealed and the remaining two units are still concealed:

1) the negative modifier for firing at concealed units is ignored completely, because one of the units in the target hex is considered revealed

or

2) the negative modifier for firing at concealed units is ignored just in the case of the revealed unit, while the two remaining concealed units are still protected by the modifier. So there would be one roll on the RAT for the attack against the whole hex, but two different modified die roll results - one against the revealed unit and the second one against the two concealed units (which would be one lower, due to the modifier).

Which of the above is correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 is correct. Just to clarify: The hex now contains both concealed and temporarily revealed units, but all units in the hex factor into the Ranged Attack Modifiers (since a Ranged Attack is against an entire hex). Think of it as greater concentration of men crammed into the same area, even if some are not visible. Falling mortar shells or a spray of MG bullets are still more likely to hit someone. This is not true for AT Fire attacks which represent aimed shots against spotted vehicles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I just realized that that wasn't clear. I meant that DRMs such as the "+1 per infantry company in the hex" still count, but the negative DRM for concealment does not count if any of the units in the target hex are revealed. The entire hex has to be concealed for the concealment DRM to apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
radsailor wrote:
Guess I failed the quiz. back to the rule book.

I feel your pain, Kenneth. I think I'm about 1 for 10 in answering questions correctly on the Triumph & Tragedy board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind being wrong. I learn more from being wrong than from being right.

Time constraints have prevented me from really getting into this game, but last nite played two turns, made some mistakes, but really enjoyed it.

In some strange way, it reminds me of Fields of Fire (in a good way )in the free for all combat and big risks in moving and attacking. Lots of rules, but they are digestible and make sense. Very tight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear that you're enjoying it, Kenneth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.