Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I have a small card game I designed for children, but my local PoD has said they won't be able to carryout the job in a cost effective manner.

My game consists of 4 extra large double sided cards and a tuck box.

I'm looking to order 300ish copies.

I'm in the UK. Can anyone give me a company who will do this for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Ginley
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ivorygraphics.co.uk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are the people who told me it wasn't cost effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Ginley
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry they are of no help. That is disappointing and can only assume the reason is that the very large size of your cards is not one of their standard sizes where they can be very cost effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed it was the boxes that would be the issue, you might be right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone suggest a company who could do this, please. I appreciate any suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Bellocq
Uruguay
flag msg tools
Maybe www.thegamecrafter.com its was you are searching...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Haines
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
makeplayingcards will print up to 24 large-size cards in a custom tuck-box for $5.85 per copy at over 250 copies. (implies printing cost of $1755, postage will be extra)
Page link: http://www.makeplayingcards.com/design/large-blank-card.html... (you'll need to change the drop-down menu box selections).

Low card numbers are a bit inefficient in their pricing scheme, though, and the box would presumably be very loose. You could add extra cards for other little games 'for free'.

Alternatively, you could consider printing just the cards in multiple packs, and sourcing the boxes separately.
I've not done the analysis to prove this optimal, but for example MPC will print 30 40-card decks for $9.10 each, so for a total card printing cost of $273 (i.e. $0.91 per 4-card deck). Postage would be something like $43.19 to the UK (strangely precise? I looked it up on their postage calculator).
I think you should be able to source a suitable packet for much less than the difference of about $4.90/deck.
This strategy does also mean you'll spend perhaps a day opening wrappers, sorting and filling packets with cards, but I'd find that acceptable for a saving of several hundred dollars.
OK, you might have to pay import duty and VAT on the cards, but that's not going to be too painful if they're only a few hundred dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Also, you might consider folded card envelopes instead of tuckboxes. TMG has done a few smaller games packaged like this (Coin Age, Templar Intrigue etc.) and it works pretty well. It's got to be cheaper than a tuck box, especially for weird sizes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Haines
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, a card based envelope is the sort of packaging I was thinking of.

You can find numerous places which will print various stuff by googling. Here's one I think might be good: http://www.ace-envelopes.co.uk/
Depending on what you particularly want they might have the size, and will print on it for you.
If nothing is quite right, they make custom sizes in any material, and will print them too. They probably have a larger minimum order for that than you'd like (maybe 500 or 1000), but it's probably worth asking anyway.

Regarding the cards, there are three things which occurred, since writing the message above:

The size of the large MPC cards is 89mm x 146mm; 3.5" x 5.75". Is that acceptable?

Since you only want 4 cards, you could consider printing them in a high-end material - 330gsm or plastic. They're more expensive, but actually the cards are only a small proportion of the cost.

You mentioned that the game is for children. Unfortunately this probably means you technically should CE Mark the game. I'm trying to do this for a game and it's a world of pain. PM me if you think you need to talk about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Given you print only 300 copies, having the printing done on a thick A4 and cutting the cards out yourself with a paper cutter might be a cheaper option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.