10 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: Making the 1ed more like 2ed. Must Read!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JP Barwise
South Africa
flag msg tools

Hi everybody. So getting the news about the 2nd edition of Mansions of Madness had some mixed feelings for me. But alas, as I have recently procured the Call of the Wild I saw no reason to but the 2nd Ed without playing my 1ed Thoroughly, almost like getting my money worth out of my 1st Edition before rushing to buy the 2nd Edition.

So in any case. On towards the real reason of my posting.

I wanted to make the 1st edition to have some of the aspects of the 2nd Edition. Like the map not being revealed at the start but only placing the map as the investigators continue to explore the mansion, just as they do in the 2ed Edition. I've started to make tokens, just as the ones from the 2nd to make this more practical. Basically the keeper becomes the app . I might be a bit more of a burden to pull all the things down needed to do this. I'm in the process of making everything needed to accomplish this and was wondering if there is people that would liek to see this?

I hope all of this make some sort of sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your biggest difficulty will be with the event cards that accumulate time counters each turn.

The events were designed with the players able to see the whole map, and judge which 'locked' spaces they could reach and in which order.

With the map hidden, they will need more time to explore the house, otherwise events will occur too quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Barwise
South Africa
flag msg tools
Thanks for your reply Darrell! This is the kind of stuff that I wanted to know as I have only played the game like 3 times thus far. So it did cross my mind whether it was needed for for some parts of the maps to be available when some instances would occur. Like a monster being summoned or a fire that might have started. in that case I thought about using the blue exclamation marker in 2ed Edition to basically mark where something of interest happened or is going to happen.

Going through a normal door would not use an action as it would merely mean the investigator can pass through it. When an investigator enters a room you would seed the tokens needed. Now in the 2ed, you would have a few tokens, but for the 1ed you would only set the cards that was originally based in the room.

I appreciate your feedback! I have also made a drawing of the Fall of House Lynch map for instance whereby I can keep track of all the doors tokens, obstacles and explore cards that needs to be placed. I guess it will make more sense if I upload a few examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, part of the "point" of the hidden map in 2E is that the map can be different upon different play-throughs. In 1E, it is always the same, so once the players have seen it, there's no point having it hidden when they play the same scenario again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Barwise
South Africa
flag msg tools
Oh wow. I must say Chris it's an honour to have you comment here , I've followed all of your Revisions for Mansions of Madness. Your almost like a celeb to me!

I was thinking the same thing, but could it be possible to change the map every time? Or would this break the game in a way? I'm trying to determine of this would be possible at all. I'm pretty much a newbie with the game so I do apologize for trying to make something out of nothing actually. It's almost like trying to "re-invent" the game.

The 2ed map does that change a lot? Or would there only be minor changes here and there to a room tile but the size of the tile would remain the same? Cause after a while it would also be the same map now and then.

Thanks again for replying! I will most definitely do my own research and try to see if this would at all work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
Don't underestimate the importance of the investigators being able to see the layout, and before turn one start to make tentative plans.

They'll be able to plan routes, see which rooms are accessable by a dead end chain only, verses were there are loops, etc.

That matters.

In fact it is one way in which 1st edition was a bit more like Eldritch Horror in that you could attempt to make tentative sweeping plans.

In 2nd edition you get a much stronger sense of it being less a strategy game and more a reacting to a story happening to you (RPG).

So doing this will make the game more difficult for your players, in a game that is often already stacked against them without that handicap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Barries wrote:
Oh wow. I must say Chris it's an honour to have you comment here , I've followed all of your Revisions for Mansions of Madness. Your almost like a celeb to me!

Oh, well, you know - I like to keep in touch with the little people.

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, but could it be possible to change the map every time? Or would this break the game in a way? I'm trying to determine of this would be possible at all. I'm pretty much a newbie with the game so I do apologize for trying to make something out of nothing actually. It's almost like trying to "re-invent" the game.

It would just be incredibly, incredibly difficult, to the point that you would need, oh... I don't know... an app or something to do it for you!

The only way I could see it working would be if the keeper basically just makes it up as he goes along and tries to keep it fair for the investigators, but then it becomes very much an RPG rather than a competitive board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barries wrote:

Hi everybody. So getting the news about the 2nd edition of Mansions of Madness had some mixed feelings for me. But alas, as I have recently procured the Call of the Wild I saw no reason to but the 2nd Ed without playing my 1ed Thoroughly, almost like getting my money worth out of my 1st Edition before rushing to buy the 2nd Edition.

So in any case. On towards the real reason of my posting.

I wanted to make the 1st edition to have some of the aspects of the 2nd Edition. Like the map not being revealed at the start but only placing the map as the investigators continue to explore the mansion, just as they do in the 2ed Edition. I've started to make tokens, just as the ones from the 2nd to make this more practical. Basically the keeper becomes the app . I might be a bit more of a burden to pull all the things down needed to do this. I'm in the process of making everything needed to accomplish this and was wondering if there is people that would liek to see this?

I hope all of this make some sort of sense?

With Call of the Wild there is already one scenario where the map builds as you go along - so most of your work is already done for that one

With the other scenarios - as you are planning to buy the 2nd ed - you could play these as one-offs. in which case, the party won't know what the map looks like from previous plays. There are also fan written scenarios specifically designed as one-offs.

As part of making the 1st ed scenarios a bit more like the 2nd ed, you could remove the hiding places. Except for one of Dexter Drake's abilities they are mostly a pointless irrelevance.

There are many other things you could do but if you're going to buy 2nd ed I would not spend a lot of effort on this. It would be great for the few people who love 1st ed but hate 2nd ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cart
msg tools
We use hidden tiles all the time and love it...it adds a ton of mystery to the game. Not everything is hidden, however; it depends on the mission and the initial descriptions...if there's a reason they might know the ground level (presuming they could look into windows or whatever), I'd reveal that. I'd never reveal underground areas, or the secret passage tile, or anything else there's no way they could know, like the Other World in Season of the Witch. It can throw the clue chain off, though that can be fixed by rewording the clue itself, if needed. It usually doesn't matter with more experienced players, for if they spread out and explore they usually know where else they need to go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Before 2ed came out I began playing 1ed with my kids to see if they were in to it (so I could gauge if the price for 2ed was worth it). I decided to reveal the map as the investigators investigated and held back the cards until they searched a room. This increased the sense of wonder and excitement with my boys (9yo and 12yo). It helped to make MoM a major hit with them (I ordered 2ed right away!).

For the events I simply doubled the number of tokens needed before they triggered (I usually prefer to play the keeper in MoM as more of a DM role than as the antagonist.... it's more fun for everyone that way imho).

Since MoM2ed has arrived (and we love that too btw) I will definitely be experimenting with using the various chits for search/explore etc in MoM1ed. I can't see how that would detract from the experience at all. I will also have a go at changing the maps for scenarios by using some of the 2ed ones.

I really like how the two editions are so similar but also so different in their gameplay... they compliment each other superbly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.