Adam Gough
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A while back, I made some Vasquez and Newt barracks cards, with input from some of you guys on the forums.

I'd like to make another featuring some weapons that our heroes can wield or other machinery that they could possible "equip"!

I'm looking for suggestions of which weapons and machines could be used, plus what their power/ability might be.

Ideas so far:

APC:

High cost card that can be used to protect all players from a strike, or maybe to mow down all Xeno's in the complex? Possibly roll a die for each Xeno to see whether it's killed or just injured? I'm always looking for new mechanics to add to the game ... and I love a bit of dice rolling.

Power Loader:

When you draw the card, you place it in front of you and can equip it for battle. Adds defence as well as attack. Maybe the loader has a "health" value, which depletes over several uses. You can shuffle it back into your deck to reset it's hit count, but you have to DRAW it and then WAIT 1 turn to use it. Get hit enough times and it's removed from your deck (kill pile). So it's like a "push your luck" mechanic.

Look forward to hearing more ideas!
When we have enough for a set, I'll make them up and upload to the files area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
This strikes me (ha) as something that could be well represented by a separate deck where the cards are put back after being used, like the Sidekicks in Marvel Legendary. Just like the APC and whatever that VTOL vehicle was called, equipment gets used and then is either depleted, destroyed, left behind, etc.

For those who haven't played the Marvel game, the original Sidekicks all cost 2 Recruit, all had a picture of the same hero & sidekick, and had the same text, something along the lines of: "Draw 2 cards. Return this card to the Sidekick stack."

Later Sidekicks have different text and represent different sidekick characters. They had different abilities, too. They also were returned to the stack, but put on the bottom instead of the top, so they'd cycle.

This could be a good way to implement what you're talking about without having to make equipment take the place of a character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gough
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

I haven't actually played the Marvel version of the game. I'll have a read about how the Sidekick cards interact etc. This sounds like a possibility though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Oytoyt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A few ideas you could run with....

Pulse rifle with grenade launcher could give either a high attack value against a single target (grenade launcher mode) or several lower value attacks against multiple targets (pulse rifle mode). To get even more thematic, why not have a duct tape card that does nothing by itself, but when drawn in a hand with both a pulse rifle and flamer, allows you to 'tape' them together to provide an even greater benefit (or attack value).

Grenade to either attack or kill off a character in your hand (just like Gorman and Vasquez).

Motion scanner - high value but can only be used to scan.

Shotgun - high attack but can only be used against targets in combat zone/airlock

Machine gun - high attack but risk of acid splash wound to player next to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack delavert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stasis Jar. Cost 2, KO to remove or insert 1 Face Hugger from any players discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gough
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff.

I like the idea of being able to combo cards from this deck.

I'm thinking that the deck would be separate from the barracks (like the sidekick deck). You would then buy items from the deck which could be used for lower attack, but if you wait, combo up (like the duct tape suggestion), they can cause a lot more damage.

This could be used to maybe level up the pulse rifle to grenades, extra fuel for flamethrower as well as the tape to combine the 2 weapons into one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gough
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Status!

New deck, placed near the barracks draw pile.

* Top 3 cards dealt face up, available for purchase.
* Use recruit to purchase item from the deck.
* You can purchase EITHER from the Barracks OR from the WEAPONS deck on your turn, but not from both.
* Once purchased, place Weapon in front of you (following any reveal instructions).
* Weapon can be activated by paying it's activation cost - Combination of Attack, Recruit, Discards, Kills of cards in your hand.
* Some weapons will require "Upgrades", or will support "Upgrades", also available in the Weapons deck. Upgrade costs a turn, but increases power of Weapon.

Weapons:

POWER LOADER - Equip to beat the snot out of Xenos. Loader takes damage that the character would take, but if destroyed, is removed from the game. Can be "Repaired" after use, but repairing is the only action you can take on your turn - and likely will take more than 1 turn to fully fix.

PULSE RIFLE - Adds Attack (more to be decided)
SHOT GUN - Adds Attack (more to be decided)
FLAMETHROWER - Adds Attack (more to be decided)

GRENADE - Free to use, discard after use - Adds attack to your turn or KILLS card(s) from your hand to prevent Strikes
SEISMIC CHARGE - Distracts rather than damages - alters damage dealt by Strike card

ARMOURED PERSONNEL CARRIER - High cost. Can either rescue captured cards, prevent all strikes or deliver damage to any enemies in the combat zone on a given turn

NOISE MAKER - Spend resource (discard) to make device, place in a location to change direction of Complex movement for 1 turn.
MOTION DETECTOR - -x to scan locations. x determined by upgrade level
STASIS JAR - Buy time against a facehugger in front of a player OR infect another player if you're a bad guy!

Still in development, obviously. But has potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Girling
United Kingdom
Stowmarket
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loving this idea. Maybe the Flamethrower could clear eggs from the complex?

Also whilst not technically a weapon: Casey - Newt's doll head. Find the next Ripley card in the Barracks deck, place in your hand and shuffle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.