Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Boyd
United Kingdom
Newtownards
County Down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've a fair number of games of Valeria under my belt and for some reason just rewatched Tom Vasel's review of it.

He mentioned in passing that while you add the two dice together to activate the third number (ie. 3+5 activates the 8 card) you don't do that when you roll doubles. I don't see anywhere in the rules where it says this isn't the case. I've been playing it that you do.

The only reference I can see to doubles is on page 7 of the rules, where it simply says "Rolling doubles will activate each matching card twice."

Have I been playing it wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
You're correct. If Tom did say that, he was mistaken.
Each player resolves each die individually, along with their sum, in the order of thier choosing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Boyd
United Kingdom
Newtownards
County Down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
Each player resolves each die individually, along with their sum, in the order of thier choosing.

Thanks. I didn't think there was some sort of special rule for doubles, but just wanted to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JakersNI wrote:
andrewkapish wrote:

Thanks. I didn't think there was some sort of special rule for doubles, but just wanted to make sure.

Yeah, and just to clarify, not having watched Tom's video it seems that the scenario you presently is slightly different than Andrew's point of emphasis.

Rolling doubles really doesn't impact anything. I'm not sure why Tom would think that rolling doubles means you don't apply their sum (how else would you trigger a 12?). That makes even less sense than not applying each single die once.

So a roll of two sixes would trigger each 6 twice, and each 12 once.

And each player resolving in order is important too -- in theory you could use the reward from one die to pay the exchange price for another die. Something that people often forget about as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Selander
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JakersNI wrote:
[Tom] mentioned in passing that while you add the two dice together to activate the third number (ie. 3+5 activates the 8 card) you don't do that when you roll doubles.

Actually, that's not what Tom said. He said that unlike Machi Koro, when you roll, you're not just looking at one number, you're looking at three numbers; unless, of course, you roll doubles, in which case you're only looking at two numbers. The two numbers he's referring to are (1) the single number that is on both dice, and (2) the sum of the two dice.
Yes, slightly confusing, but entirely accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.