Castles of Mad King Ludwig» Forums » General

Subject: More Games Like Castles of Mad King Ludwig? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wes Whitener
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
My family loves this game, it's one of the few games my wife and two daughters (10&11) all want to play with me. They love building their own little castle.

Can you guys recommend other games that have a similar level of complexity and also feature a city/village/town/castle/farm building mechanic?

I know there's a lot but most of them are too dry or too harsh scoring-wise (like Agricola), this one strikes a nice balance of being a good game but also not punishing you too overtly for just building for fun and not for points...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ ♫
Italy
ravenna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you said "not Agricola" but have you tried Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small? It gives the kind of feeling you're talking about - the only problem is it's just for two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weswhitener wrote:
My family loves this game, it's one of the few games my wife and two daughters (10&11) all want to play with me. They love building their own little castle.

Can you guys recommend other games that have a similar level of complexity and also feature a city/village/town/castle/farm building mechanic?

I know there's a lot but most of them are too dry or too harsh scoring-wise (like Agricola), this one strikes a nice balance of being a good game but also not punishing you too overtly for just building for fun and not for points...

Good question. I would say The Castles of Burgundy as I get a similar feeling of satisfaction at the end when I see how developed my castle estate is. It's also not too tricky to get the hang of. Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is very family friendly, compared to Agricola, and is a very pleasant farm development theme. Carcassonne and Keyflower might be interesting. Of course what you consider dry may differ to my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Williams
United Kingdom
Penkridge
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Quadropolis, it is slightly easier than Ludwig but offers a nice, city building game that emphasises fun over work.

Also if you really like Ludwig there is always Suburbia which is by the same designer and has very similar mechanisms (so similar that I sold Suburbia when I got Ludwig)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Andrew
Indonesia
Bandung
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it isnt exactly what you're asking for, but

weswhitener wrote:
They love building their own little castle.

weswhitener wrote:
this one strikes a nice balance of being a good game but also not punishing you too overtly for just building for fun and not for points...

definitely check Karuba. it's much lighter than ludwig, but playing your own board is just so much fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra is a bit simpler, but there are plenty of expansions to add some complexity and/or keep it interesting. In some ways I prefer it to Ludwig, though it doesn't have anything like the Master Builder (prices are set by the game rather than the players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Whitener
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Thanks! These are some great options... Isle of Skye & Keyflower seem promising. I do want to get All Creatures as well... lots of other good suggestions here as well, thanks guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson

Athens
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll add Among the Stars to this conversation. (Or, you could wait for Fields of Green by the same designers that was recently kickstarted)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at this thread about games where the joy comes from building not winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't believe no one has recommended Suburbia yet. It's made by the same person!

Edit: whoops, just realized I missed it as a second recommendation in an earlier post. Disregard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Nichol
Canada
Strathmore
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Suburbia and Carcassonne are great tile laying games!meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I won't repeat some of the other recommendations, but to add to the list we really love Don Quixote. Each player has the same base board but a random group of tiles each round. A caller announces the next random location on the player boards and each player chooses a tile from their available pool for the space, trying to match aspects of the tiles to maximize points in various ways. There's no interaction but a lot of commiserating and a huge feeling of satisfaction when your strategy pays off and you score big in the final round when everything comes together.

You can try it online or on a phone/tablet, and if you like it it's pretty inexpensive as board games go.

Android app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=donquixote.and...
Online: http://brettspielwelt.com/Hilfe/Anleitungen/DonQuixote/?nati...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Glenbrook
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
California

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.