GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,824 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best Recent Post-Apocalyptic Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Pruitt
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
Seems like several games with a post-apocalyptic theme have come out lately, I guess due to the rise in popularity, or at least awareness, of "prepping".

I'm familiar with Doom and Bloom Survival, it was easy to learn and fairly enjoyable, but got repetitive (not enough variety in cards).

I'm aware of a few others that have come out recently:

Defenders of the Last Stand
Posthuman
The Wastelanders 2048
Salvation Road

I could (and will) go read reviews on each of these, but I'd be interested in hearing thoughts of people who have played any or all of these.

Also interested in any other recent post-apocalyptic games that I may not be aware or. I'd prefer nothing supernatural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Zutic
Serbia
Belgrade
New Belgrade
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I would recommend you to try 51st State Master Set.

It is my new favorite tableau building game with post-apocalyptic team

Best
Boris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I really like The Wastelanders: 2048, but definitely check out the FAQ and rule revisions, because the rules with the game are rough. Posthuman is a great game, but slightly fiddly as well. Salvation Road is in my queue to be played but hasn't made it to the table yet! Looks to be a very challenging co-op with cool character mechanisms. The one that is still on my list that you should check out is Waste Knights, with simply AMAZING art! Price point has kept it from my stack to date though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pruitt
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
zubor wrote:
Hi,

It is my new favorite tableau building came with post-apocalyptic team

Best
Boris

Is that substantially different from the original 51st State? I haven't played that, but it might be a less expensive option for me to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pruitt
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
whavoc wrote:

I really like The Wastelanders: 2048, but definitely check out the FAQ and rule revisions, because the rules with the game are rough. Posthuman is a great game, but slightly fiddly as well. Salvation Road is in my queue to be played but hasn't made it to the table yet! Looks to be a very challenging co-op with cool character mechanisms. The one that is still on my list that you should check out is Waste Knights, with simply AMAZING art! Price point has kept it from my stack to date though.

I forgot about Waste Knights, that's on my wishlist.

A few others on my radar (i.e. wishlist) that anyone can feel free to comment about (not all of which have been released yet):

Raid and Trade
After The End
Bright Future
Conflicted
Fallen Land
Outlive

Man, there really are a lot of these popping up lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Arctic Scavengers: Base Game+HQ+Recon is another. EXCELLENT deck builder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I Kickstarted and played Defenders of the Last Stand and thoroughly enjoy it. It's a huge game that includes strategic movements, hand management, some nice thematic story elements, varied enemies and a whole bunch of dice chucking combat. I've played it solo, with my son and with a group of 4 and each play was fun. The plastic components are on the cheap side, but they don't detract from the experience.

The other post-apocalyptic game I have is Bright Future. It's a neat card-based adventure game that is very reminiscent of the Metro 2033 world. A friend in Europe bought it for me and I don't know the availability in the States, but it's a great little co-op game that has you building a random map, fighting through anomalies and hostile outposts, hiring allies and buying gear in search of a cure to a disease spreading throughout the subterranean world built by survivors. There's also a competitive multi-player game with a separate board and cards, but I haven't tried it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Roach
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that my recommendations go to both Defenders of the Last Stand and 51st State: Master Set. Defenders has some great storytelling elements layered on top of a cooperative game very reminicent of Defenders of the Realm so if that game or story is important it's a good bet. 51st state for me is just a solid tableau building game; however, it dosn't feel overly thematic in play (yes the cards etc are on theme I just didn't think too much about that during the game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhogun wrote:
zubor wrote:
Hi,

Best
Boris

Is that substantially different from the original 51st State? I haven't played that, but it might be a less expensive option for me to try it out.

The new version is much more streamlined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Zutic
Serbia
Belgrade
New Belgrade
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhogun wrote:
zubor wrote:
Hi,

Best
Boris

I did not play original so personally I cannot comment, but based on info read on bgg you can call it version 2.0 (more streamlined) but maybe someone who played both can comment .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pruitt
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
whavoc wrote:

Arctic Scavengers: Base Game+HQ+Recon is another. EXCELLENT deck builder!

How is just the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Posthuman recently, and I really like what I see so far, but with two rather big cautions: the rulebook organization is quite poor, and melee combat rules are much more complicated than necessary. I understand the need for making it symmetric because of the possibility of PvP combat, but they could have made it more intuitive than that. Otherwise, it seems like a really cool game, kind of like a post-apocalyptic Oregon Trail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.