Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Kraus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has there been enough research done on the new French home card to support a printing of it? If so, is there a way to get it sent out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
requiem09 wrote:
Has there been enough research done on the new French home card to support a printing of it? If so, is there a way to get it sent out?

What new French home card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a new French home card being tested to attempt to balance the Tournament Scenario. The text I saw is as follows:

New French HC wrote:
The France Home Card is modified as follows:
If Francis I is ruler and not captured or under siege, roll 1 die.
On a roll of 7+ gain one VP and draw two cards and then discard any one card;
5-6 Gain one VP and draw one card;
3-4 Gain one VP and draw one card and then discard any one card;
2 or less: Gain no VPs and draw two cards and then discard any one card.

(Mandatory Events may not be discarded)

Modifiers:
+2 for French control of Milan;
+1 for French control of Florence;
+1 for French control of 3 keys in Italy;
-2 Enemy troops in a French home space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. That's a big bump. Also encourages France to get involved in Italy beyond just Milan. I like it.

Does it encourage squabbling between the Pope and the French? Seems like it might with the Florence and 3 keys in Italy benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unitoch wrote:
Wow. That's a big bump. Also encourages France to get involved in Italy beyond just Milan. I like it.

Does it encourage squabbling between the Pope and the French? Seems like it might with the Florence and 3 keys in Italy benefits.

Considering that Pope and French rarely fight, I wouldn't consider that a bad result.

I was initially under the impression that this was just for the Tournament Scenario, but for a few weeks I've been in a PBEM game testing it with 1517, so we'll see how it turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kraus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played 4 turns (before my brother decided to quit) of the 1517 scenario with 3 players, and we were using the optional home card. In the 3 person game, it seemed to (at least partially) make up for the fact that it's hard to synchronize the French and Ottomans as well as the Hapsburgs/Papacy or English/Protestants.

Just as a little tidbit, while I realize that the 3-player VP average only matters if someone crosses the 25 mark with a single faction, the French/Ottoman VP average was higher than the Papacy/Hapsburgs VP average by a few points on the last turn we played, mainly due to Ottomans pirating all of the African coast and the Hapsburgs not able to score an anti-piracy hit on about 10 tries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any news on how the testing of this Home Card is going? It seems, as written above, to be very swingy and random to me. Will it be used at WBC this year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
Is there any news on how the testing of this Home Card is going? It seems, as written above, to be very swingy and random to me. Will it be used at WBC this year?

The chances of getting a VP with this home card are the same as with the old one; the extra benefits vary, but i don't think it's so swingy, even though it is random.

I'm in a 1517 game with it and my France is doing very well for various reasons, but in general I don't think there's a need for it in 1517. It seems like it'll help quite a bit for Tournament, but I have no idea how the testing is going with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
JohnnyOffice wrote:

The chances of getting a VP with this home card are the same as with the old one; the extra benefits vary, but i don't think it's so swingy, even though it is random.
With the old Home Card if France controls Milan the chance of a VP is 100%. With the new card, France's control of Milan can be cancelled by England or Hapsburg having 1 unit on French Home Soil. Seems to me like the VP aspect of the card is nerfed. And the extra benefit of a card draw or exchange could prove to be unbalancing.

Quote:
I'm in a 1517 game with it and my France is doing very well for various reasons, but in general I don't think there's a need for it in 1517. It seems like it'll help quite a bit for Tournament, but I have no idea how the testing is going with that.
Is your game with it part of an official playtest or just something you decided to try out? I can only imagine that Ed and company playtested the ink off of the original home card. I just hope that they'd do the same for this one to make sure it's balanced.

Oh, I forgot to ask if anyone knows, but will this new card be included in the P500 reprint as an option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
MD1616 wrote:
JohnnyOffice wrote:

With the old Home Card if France controls Milan the chance of a VP is 100%. With the new card, France's control of Milan can be cancelled by England or Hapsburg having 1 unit on French Home Soil. Seems to me like the VP aspect of the card is nerfed. And the extra benefit of a card draw or exchange could prove to be unbalancing.

Quote:
Is your game with it part of an official playtest or just something you decided to try out? I can only imagine that Ed and company playtested the ink off of the original home card. I just hope that they'd do the same for this one to make sure it's balanced.

Oh, I forgot to ask if anyone knows, but will this new card be included in the P500 reprint as an option?

Fair point about English and Hapsburgs, but it seems like that drawback might balance out with the potential extra goodies. New one still seems better for France overall, though.

Just a pickup game, not official.

Was the Tournament Scenario originally part of the game, or did they come up with it later? Wouldn't surprise me if it's the latter, because they certainly didn't try to balance the Tournament Scenario when the game originally came out (not saying they should've necessarily, the full '17 and '32 games are more than enough, but if you look at VQ's brilliant Tournament Scenario, it's easy to see the difference).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.