Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card "British Colonial Disputes" says "one British Army" cannot advance, but you place an "Inactive Leader" marker on it.

If that army's leader gets reassigned to some other army, I suppose that the rules mean what they literally say: the original army still does not advance, despite the marker saying "leader" instead of "army", and the leader's new army which he got assigned to can advance, right?

E.g. A leader is on Champlain, which gets marked "inactive". Another card causes that leader to be moved to St Lawrence. St Lawrence will advance and Champlain will (still) not advance, right?

---

And just to confirm: "ensuing" means "next", which might be in the following turn, if the British Colonial Disputes were drawn by a French leader's special ability or some French action, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The card "British Colonial Disputes" says "one British Army" cannot advance, but you place an "Inactive Leader" marker on it.

If that army's leader gets reassigned to some other army, I suppose that the rules mean what they literally say:

Go with the literal interpretation as far as you can.

Quote:
E.g. A leader is on Champlain, which gets marked "inactive". Another card causes that leader to be moved to St Lawrence. St Lawrence will advance and Champlain will (still) not advance, right?

That sounds like the literal interpretation.

Quote:
And just to confirm: "ensuing" means "next", which might be in the following turn, if the British Colonial Disputes were drawn by a French leader's special ability or some French action, right?

Yes, that sounds right.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized that the "literal interpretation" of the card makes no sense at all. "One British Army (in Track Priority order) cannot Advance" simply means that the St Lawrence army cannot advance (since it's the first British Army in Track Priority order". An Army does not necessarily have a leader, after all! There are always British 5 armies, but 0-5 British leaders assigned to armies.

So the card text as literally interpreted could have been simplified to "The St Lawrence Army cannot Advance"...

Of course the intent is that the first British army in Track Priority which has a leader cannot advance, but that's not what the card says literally. :/

Which makes me wonder if the "Inactive Leader" really should be assigned to a leader (like the marker itself says), and not to an army (like the card says).

And then the card should say "One British Leader (in Track Priority order) cannot Advance"... (and thus if the leader moves, then that same leader retains the marker and cannot advance at his new Army).

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What do you think?

I like it. Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks. I updated Empires in America (second edition) FAQ accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.