Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This question is more for the designers or playtesters.

The basics of the game is get a hand of 6 cards, play 3, then pass the remainder to your left and play the 3 new cards you get. Then repeat a second time for a total of 12 cards played per player.

My question is why pass the second half of your hand? The game already seems fairly chaotic (e.g., if you're leading the trick, you've got no idea what value card you need to play to win the trick), so why increase it by only playing half of your hand? Was this introduced as a way to balance "bad" hands?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalle Malmioja
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question, thanks for asking.

Let's start with that there are no "bad hands", I would call them situational hands. The cards, numbered 1-60, can roughly be divided into three groups. The higher cards are easy to place in your map and give ok points, the middle cards have the 4 point factories and score the most possible points. The lower cards while having majority of the resource producing squares, also have high number of lakes that are more difficult to place. The reason is that the highest cards are not the best scoring wise is that I want players to take cards from other players and not the one you played.

So, the reason why the cards switch hands is that without forcing it makes players play more high cards in the first three set and not keep them to yourself as you would normally do in a trick-taking game. Keep the good cards until the end.

This then should entice other players to play resources as +60. The though process is that you could give up a low card with a resource and take a easy to place card for your map. This however can give another player a resource, as low cards have most resources, which feeds this loop.

It also gives you information on what is coming in the last three cards. Playing tactically you could let another player have a card you really want and then grab it when it comes around.

So, basically it comes to two points.

1. Make players want to play high cards first, which leads to better outcomes score wise at the end.
2. Give players a little bit more information on what is coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the thorough answer. It greatly increases my interest. Not sure if I'll be able to get a copy or not, but I'm very interested. I'm assuming there's no US release at this point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni Niittymaki
Finland
Helsinki
EU
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mb
We hope to find a US partner for all our games before Essen, or through meetings there.

Lautapelit.fi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really enjoy this game. Fun and fast.

Just bought it a week ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.