Hide
6 Posts

Battlestar Galactica» Forums » Variants

Subject: New characters for BSG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Petri Rissanen
msg tools
We play a lot of BSG and we have made new characters.

Here is a link for the characters.

14 new ones:

http://imgur.com/a/GiERd

Another 14 new ones:

http://imgur.com/a/VOaOy

Use them if you find them playworthy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!

I like Billy, his ability seems well balanced, and super useful.

Also, playing a game where everyone is a different version of Six is hilarious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of new characters here, so some scattered thoughts:

-In general, a skill draw of three cards from one category demonstrates that the character is the "best" at that particular thing. I understand that it's hard not to repeat character card draws, and one of the ways to help get around this is by giving more people 3 of a color, but the effect of it is that sometimes it puts characters on par with each other that might not necessarily (thematically) be. For example, your versions of Aaron Kelly and Billy give them Leadership and Politics that make them equivalent to Adama and Roslin.

-Using gender neutral language on the abilities might be helpful. Calling all the players "he" or "him" is unnecessarily limiting (and especially seems out of place on Gina's card, where her Intimacy ability specifies a male player, despite actually being applicable to a woman on the show).

-Jack Fisk's ability drawback seems pretty harsh. For comparison, Ellen's drawback is that she draws Treachery, but Fisk draws Treachery AND has to discard cards whenever a resource is lost on his turn. (It's an interesting drawback: I wonder if it might be interesting to have a character who draws lots of cards but has to constantly discard when resources are lost.)

-A couple of these characters have the "hidden" drawback of not drawing Leadership cards. In general, that can make a character weaker in a non-obvious way. Crashdown's drawback is pretty harsh already, and he doesn't get any Leadership, either. (OTOH, Simon's drawback is pretty mild, so that seems appropriate.)

-Hadrian's investigation ability is interesting, though her drawback seems minimal.

Kudos for making a lots of cards with characters who didn't/don't get much attention. I'd be interested in hearing if any of these cards are particularly popular in the group you're playing with.

(Concur with the above: a game with all Sixes would be pretty entertaining.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Rissanen
msg tools
You are correct in all your comments. Especially in the 3-card skill set.

English is not my native language, so that is the main reason to non gender neutral language. Any help for correcting that would be great

Making of these characters has been a group effort, and some of the planners don't want them to be changed. I have tried to change them anyway

If you have any specific ideas how to make them better, please tell me.

We have used almost all the characters except Simon and we use a lot of:
new Cain, CL Anders, Caprica 6, Gina Inviere, Jack Fisk, Leoben and Racetrack.

others are usually used as support characters, if we need some piloting or engineering in our team. Crashdown and Skulls are fun characters to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Rissanen
msg tools
We have also made 6 new Motives for cylon leaders. 4 comes from Agendas and 2 is new ones.

http://imgur.com/a/hCHkA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Rissanen
msg tools
New update for characters:

http://imgur.com/a/n6MMe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.