Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
302 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: "What is Aleppo?" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Slater_worse_than_Obama [+] Death_by_Zigguart [+] Drew_Is_Right_About_Slater [+] [View All]
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, dear.

but yeah remind me again about how the Libertarian Party is a viable alternative when this guy was literally the best they could manage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
Oh, dear.

but yeah remind me again about how the Libertarian Party is a viable alternative when this guy was literally the best they could manage
What goes before faith to explain what voting libertarian is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Was anyone of the view that foreign policy was his thing though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
Was anyone of the view that foreign policy was his thing though?

I will kindly suggest that not having a firm policy position with respect to the Syrian refugee crisis and not knowing the name of the epicenter of it are two different things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Does he get the same briefings that Clinton and Trump do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Does he get the same briefings that Clinton and Trump do?

or, you know, has he picked up a newspaper and read a story about the Syrian refugee crisis in the last two years
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
Oh, dear.

You say that like the Republican or Democratic Nominee in any way better. But of course, because Gary is Libertarian, he has to be held to a different standard. How dare he not be the 100% perfect candidate the other two are not.

HOW DARE HE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a fairly low bar just to know the city's name if you are running as presodential candidate. I wouldn't hold a local or even state candidate to that standard, but president seems reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
It is a fairly low bar just to know the city's name if you are running as presodential candidate. I wouldn't hold a local or even state candidate to that standard, but president seems reasonable.

I completely understand. He's not allowed to have any type of slip up. He's Libertarian.

Hillary and the Trump can fuck up all they want (and boy, do they). But Gary, as a libertarian, he gets double standard treatment. He doesn't know the name of one city. Completely disqualified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

I completely understand. He's not allowed to have any type of slip up. He's Libertarian.

Hillary and the Trump can fuck up all they want (and boy, do they). But Gary, as a libertarian, he gets double standard treatment. He doesn't know the name of one city. Completely disqualified.
Actually.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hillary-clinton-donald-t...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/donald-trumps-six-b...

Why do you believe his gaffes should go uncommented on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Asked what he would do about the Syrian city of Aleppo, the region at the center of that nation’s civil war and refugee crisis, Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson responded by asking, “what is Aleppo
According to the article, Aleppo is both a city AND a region, so it's not so straightforward afterall

And this question:

Quote:
“What would you do if you were elected about Aleppo?”

Is just dumb and seems designed as a gotcha. Can't they just ask what his views are ong the Syrian civil war and the refugee crisis. I read quite a bit on these topics and I would need to think twice to understand what is actually beig asked. In fairness. I would probably not counter with "what is A Leppo?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

You're missing the point. My point is the hypocrisy of the first minor gaffe on Gary Johnson (and don't let MGK delude you, the name of a city in Syria is, at most, a minor gaffe) is enough to completely disqualify him from being president because he's LIBERTARIAN, but the continual news cycles of the many many issues of their preferred candidate (in MGKs case, Hilary) is not only not news worthy to them, but demands a full on defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Well, it's not like he's actually a libertarian. Aside from the pot legalization, I guess.

He's in good company with Hill and Don.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

You're missing the point. My point is the hypocrisy of the first minor gaffe on Gary Johnson (and don't let MGK delude you, the name of a city in Syria is, at most, a minor gaffe) is enough to completely disqualify him from being president because he's LIBERTARIAN, but the continual news cycles of the many many issues of their preferred candidate (in MGKs case, Hilary) is not only not news worthy to them, but demands a full on defense.

It is not "just a city in Syria", it is one of the major battle zones where chemical agents have been used (the ones used to partially justify military intervention). It's been all over the news, your bloody planes have been dropping bombs near it

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/11/middleeast/syria-war-russi....

This would be like saying

"What is a Dunkirk" in December 1941.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Maybe he thought they were talking about lesbians?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

It is not "just a city in Syria", it is one of the major battle zones where chemical agents have been used (the ones used to partially justify military intervention). It's been all over the news, your bloody planes have been dropping bombs near it

I disagree. If he would have said "What is Syria", then I would agree. It was a gotcha question, and a minor gaffe. If Hilary (or more likely Trump) said the same thing, my response would be the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I disagree. If he would have said "What is Syria", then I would agree. It was a gotcha question, and a minor gaffe. If Hilary (or more likely Trump) said the same thing, my response would be the same.

It was the final Jeopardy question and he failed. Perhaps qualified to run for city council in the Rust Belt, but POTUS... almost as unqualified as the Great Orange Douche.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
Oh, dear.

You say that like the Republican or Democratic Nominee in any way better. But of course, because Gary is Libertarian, he has to be held to a different standard. How dare he not be the 100% perfect candidate the other two are not.

HOW DARE HE!

You can't fix stupid. For the POTUS, it shouldn't even be a concern.

Thanks for playing grown-up Mr. Johnson, now go back to selling silver ingots and bacon waffles at the Jamboree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No one is holding him to an unreasonable standard, just a base level of competence. As Scarborough commented, it's like asking "What is Sarajevo?" in 1991. It is a shocking level of ignorance for someone who wants to be president and commander in chief of the most powerful nation in the world.

Saying the Republican nominee is not better should go without saying-
Trump has never heard of the nuclear triad and has expressed dismay that we can't just use tactical nuclear weapons, has zero foreign policy experience, ended his first attempt to appear presidential and diplomatic in a twitter dispute with a foreign leader, has called our willingness to honor treaty commitments into doubt, praises Putin's kleptocracy and worked to insert accommodation for Russian aggression in Ukraine directly into the GOP platform, encouraged Japanese nuclearization, has declared his intention to initiate broad-based protectionism and spark several trade wars, wants to ban all members of one of the world's major religions from entering our country, doesn't seem to know the difference between a one or two-state solution in Israel, openly advocates the use of torture, tried to recruit Kasich to his ticket under the pretense that he would be in charge of "all domestic and foreign policy"- leaving Trump responsible only for "making America great," regularly insults US allies ("Brussels is a hellhole," "France is no longer France," etc.), he consistently misrepresents his past statements about foreign policy, and he swings wildly from total isolationism to aggressive militarism in the course of single sentences.

Saying that Johnson is better than Trump is like saying "that was pretty clean, for a gas station men's room." BTW, Trump is losing by 2 points in a recent poll to public restrooms- http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_Nati...

Clinton is obviously a more knowledgeable, experienced, and steady hand on foreign policy - I have strong disagreements with her about many, many things, but at least she is not an existential threat to the republic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
Hillary and the Trump can fuck up all they want (and boy, do they).

Hillary's fuckups of factual knowledge are rare, not nearly on this scale, and as a general rule whenever she does fuck up in this way, she works to make sure she knows everything about the thing so it doesn't happen again.

Trump - well, christ, last night he suggested he didn't know that the military has their own justice system, and that the USA should literally just occupy Iraq and steal their oil, so yeah, he's wildly unqualified to be President in every possible way that matters and he's been proving that for over a year now. I will certainly credit you that Johnson is marginally better than Trump, but only by a matter of degree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"We have a problem in Aleppo Mr President."
"What is Aleppo?"
"Oh, you don't know what Aleppo is Mr President. Never mind. We'll just ignore it then."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
Hillary's fuckups of factual knowledge are rare, not nearly on this scale, and as a general rule whenever she does fuck up in this way, she works to make sure she knows everything about the thing so it doesn't happen again.

So Hilary fucks up, fixes fuck up, doesn't make same fuck up again. Not a problem.

Gary fucks up. IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFIED! OMG HE'S RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT! HE FUCKED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!11!!!!!111!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

So not knowing one of the few places on earth you are engaged in direct military action is not important for a potential POTUSA?

Also lets extrapolate his lack of knowledge.

He does not know what Aleppo is, so he does not know what Russia has been saying about US foreign policy in the region (the nation he says he want to work with to solve the problem). Nor does he know where the USA is dropping bombs, yet apparently knows how to come up with a plan with the Russians (whose opinions he does not know) to solve the problem.

He is going to deal with ISIL, yet does not even know where the fighting is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
So not knowing one of the few places on earth you are engaged in direct military action is not important for a potential POTUS?

Also lets extrapolate his lack of knowledge.

He does not know what Aleppo is, so he does not know what Russia has been saying about US foreign policy in the region (the nation he says he want to work with to solve the problem). Nor does he know where the USA is dropping bombs, yet apparently knows how to come up with a plan with the Russians (whose opinions he does not know) to solve the problem.

He is going to deal with ISIL, yet does not even know where the fighting is.

So now you're completely making up shit about what he might and might not know to prove your point. How very Trump of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
"We have a problem in Aleppo Mr President."
"What is Aleppo?"
"Oh, you don't know what Aleppo is Mr President. Never mind. We'll just ignore it then."

Putin "You should stop bombing Aleppo Mr President."
"What is Aleppo?"
"Oh, you don't know what Aleppo is Mr President. Never mind. We'll just not cooperate with you over Syria then."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.