Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I voted "hate them" in the first poll, and "really hate them" in the second because seeing two identical polls made me annoyed and caused me to hate them more. If I were to be perfectly honest, however, I actually merely hate them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that they're a form of child exploitation, and that the people marketing them should be ashamed of themselves.

As for adults playing them, I don't have any interest in competitive consumerism. Maybe both sides should go to an ATM first, then sit across from each other at a table and set selected piles of the money they withdrew on fire. Winning a round gets you the right to choose whether the next round will be judged by total amount or total weight burned. Running out of cash makes you autolose for all remaining rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Like them if someone else pays" but really "They're ok if someone else pays" (and he person paying can afford it) or "I'd be tempted to buy a some cards and draft with them and forget the CCG aspect". I suppose even buying cards 2nd hand I'm supporting the CCG model to a certain extent (I haven't actually done this and realistically I'm not sure I will, there are plenty of other games).

Also the poll is biased (most are) and Why isn't Skutsch doing this poll? Will he be challenging you to a duel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm missing the "Other people can do whatever they want, but I don't see the point of sinking so much money into a game when there are so many great alternatives out there, where I know what I get when i buy it" option
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They're a dead model that no one likes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Spent way too much on Star Wars Customizable Card Game and X-Files. I should have learned my lesson, but no I fell into The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game. The problem is that I liked to collect full sets as well as play these (and then they started making certain cards illegal for play). CCG and the like are a money pit! I have several decks of Magic: The Gathering that I don't dare open!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel

"If you want to waste your money fine, mine stays in my pocket to waste on something else".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actively collected & played Magic: The Gathering from 1995 - 2013 and then i pretty much quit cold turkey.

I didn't hate the cards or game, I just didnt enjoy playing it anymore. Board games are much more fun.

I like LCG's however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for Canadian Bacon, but I would vote for pretty much any food instead of CCGs.

I don't harbor hate for CCGs, but have no interest at all in getting started with any of them. I had a brief, bad experience with baseball card collecting in the 80s. Now just the word "collectible" leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Thus the need for Canadian bacon.

"Ignore" would be my accurate vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think they're much more interesting in concept than execution. I don't think I'll ever buy into a modern physical one, but I am prone to play some digital CCGs where new cards and packs can be earned through play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Wilde
United States
Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting into them is an expensive cycle and they are called cardboard crack for a reason. I should know, I play magic (but only sometimes now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't really care about them one way or another.. but, I refuse to buy them because I find the business model to be reprehensible.. I hate the fact that the publishers artificially create a demand for more powerful cards by controlling availability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyed them back in the day, still find a thrill in opening packs if I get them as gifts, but would much rather spend my gaming dollars on other things at this point.

I absolutely dislike LCGs, though. Every bit the money sink without any of the fun of discovering new or rare things. Admittedly the internet has spoiled a great deal of that fun for CCGs but I have so many happy childhood memories of pulling a jaw-dropping rare from a pack of Magic cards. It really felt like I was exploring the Multiverse at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point its down to MTG for me, and thats either just draft or through a virtual client. I'm much more in favor of the LCG model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only like them if they're able to support a FLGS I like where I can play "regular" board games. So far, I've run into very few of these

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toenail21 wrote:
Ignore the second poll
Good luck with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
what are they? acronyms should only be used after using the real phrase in it's whole in a particular written text or message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outdated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them fine when they're dead.
When they're still in print? Not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
nhojput wrote:
what are they? acronyms should only be used after using the real phrase in it's whole in a particular written text or message.

Sarcastic answer: "Can't Check Google?"

Serious answer: CCG = Collectible Card Game

LCG = Living Card Game (like a CCG, but no randomness in the distribution model)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Spent way too much on Star Wars Customizable Card Game and X-Files. I should have learned my lesson, but no I fell into The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game. The problem is that I liked to collect full sets as well as play these (and then they started making certain cards illegal for play). CCG and the like are a money pit! I have several decks of Magic: The Gathering that I don't dare open!

Steve Jackson Illuminati CCG. Spent WAY too much on a game that wasn't really that good. Completely turned me off of any kind of CCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nhojput wrote:

You must be a government worker.

CCG = Collectible Card Game - think Magic the Gathering (MtG) or Pokémon. You buy packs of cards and hope that you get the rare or more powerful ones included in the pack, or you buy the individual cards from a dealer or other source.

LCG = Living Card Games - games where the entire card game in a box, you can buy expansions, but all the expansions have the same cards in them. Games like Legendary: Marvel and NetRunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
I like them fine when they're dead.
When they're still in print? Not so much.

Great answer, honestly. I get a lot of mileage after my old Netrunner and Gridiron Fantasy Football cards and would be psyched to break out my old Illuminati: New World Order, Shadowfist and Vampire: The Eternal Struggle decks.

(I realize that not all of these games are technically dead, but they're dead to me.)

What mainly killed my interest in buying Magic cards was power creep -- I got tired of seeing cards coming out that did the same thing as cards already in my collection but better and/or cheaper. No power creep in a dead CCG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
the pete wrote:
nhojput wrote:

Sarcastic answer: "Can't Check Google?"

Serious answer: CCG = Collectible Card Game

LCG = Living Card Game (like a CCG, but no randomness in the distribution model)

Alternate sarcastic answer: CCG isn't an acronym, it's just an abbreviation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.