Subject: Games Library for a College Freshman rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter is headed off to University of Chicago next week and I want to supply her with a small games library (storage space is at a premium). I think that the relevant niche here is probably some cross between lunchtime games at work and beer & pretzels. Basically, accessible to and fun for smart non- or casual gamers, easy to teach, quick to play, and (the library as a whole) should accommodate a wide range of players -- no interest in solo games, but anywhere from 2 to a crowd. Likely to be played in public spaces, but where tables of various sizes aren't hard to find.

Looking for easy ways to socialize/get to know new people as well as games that are replayable and would be good for study breaks (in situations where brains are already burnt!). She wants an alternative to alcohol-fueled party scenes -- a playful environment where people talk/banter (and you can hear what they said). And she's shy but sociable (sounds like that's true of many of her classmates as well) so appreciates having a somewhat structured activity to propose and that will facilitate interaction.

Spyfall, Codenames, Dixit and Sushi Go Party are already on the list. My husband is lobbying for Toc Toc Woodman as well. What game(s) would you choose for this situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive Pocket for two players only, can be played everywhere and it can be transported easily.

Pandemic: The Cure for 1-7 players, the little dice version of Pandemic, also doesn't use too much space.

Splendor for 2-4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Fox
msg tools
Dead Last This is social deduction game. Good for getting to know people or fun to play with people you already know.

Ca$h 'n Gun$ My friends love playing this game simply for the foam guns. The new edition has updated rules but I only own the classic.

Saboteur Card game with the same social deduction. This is a huge hit with my regular game group.

Strike A Pose A solid 'go to' for when I'm introducing games to new groups or a cottage weekend, family get-together, etc. Always good for laughs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking just at the small boxes I have:
The Resistance: Avalon / The Resistance
Timeline: Diversity / Timeline: Historical Events / ... (any Timeline fares well with educated people)
Jungle Speed (dexterity games are best when tipsy)
King of Tokyo
The Red Dragon Inn
6 nimmt!

For something a bit more gamer-oriented, less beer and pretzels:
The Bloody Inn
7 Wonders (you can scrap the oversized box)
Tiny Epic Galaxies
Race for the Galaxy (you can scrap the oversized box)

ALL of the above I managed to fit in a single shoebox when I went on christmas holidays with the gang. Granted, I had to remove all the game boxes and I'm a shoe size 13, but one shoebox is still pretty impressive methinks.

For an entire night of beer, pretzels and bad b-movies, I'd take one full board game, ideally stuff like Zombicide: Black Plague or Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game or Betrayal at House on the Hill or Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game. Useful to have in a game library even for casuals when you get bored of Codenames for the 20th time and want something with more substance and length.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strike a Pose reminds me of Reverse Charades (always at hit at our family gatherings).

Lots of other good suggestions too -- maybe we'll audition a few over the weekend before she leaves.

And I am impressed by the single shoebox!

Any opinions on the best large-group dice game? In my admittedly limited experience, it's probably been Liar's Dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter (or the soon-to-be released Love Letter Premium)
6 nimmt!
Parade
Hanabi
Pairs
For Sale
Battle Line
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
smithhemb wrote:

Any opinions on the best large-group dice game? In my admittedly limited experience, it's probably been Liar's Dice.

Some friends of mine suggest this (or rather, a Czech variant which uses only two dice - speeds up the process :-) ) as a go-to get-you-drunk game. I don't consider it a game much as you only ever have a single choice before you and if you are not doing it while drinking, it kind of loses the only sense it has...

I harbor no love for dice as a central mechanic so my experience is limited as well, but I've experienced a game of BANG! The Dice Game and it was ok. Certainly more alcohol-free entertainment to be had than Liars Dice. I hear Zombie Dice is also an ok push-your-luck game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games you listed are already a fantastic start and were some of the first I thought of when you asked the question. As for others...

I agree that The Resistance/Avalon are excellent choices but only work for 5-10 so will caution that this may not the right player count you are looking for.

While the box is a bit bigger, Pandemic is a classic and easy to teach to people. The cooperative nature of it really tends to keep non-gamers more interested I have found anyhow. When I was in college a short while ago this was a great one for me.

Similarly I also had success with Ticket to Ride, but the board and box certainly take up a bit more space. I usually could find tables or floor space in my dorm that would accommodate this, and many enjoyed playing.

Ooh, I would highly recommend Sheriff of Notingham as well. Box is around the size of Dixit but you don't need much space and plays well with 3-5 and includes plenty of good interaction.

For another small box, Coup is a good choice. Plays lightning fast and works well.

Finally, for one other cooperative that is in an admittedly larger box would be Mysterium. Similar to Dixit in that it uses card with strange artwork, but the ghost player has to give cards to players to clue them into selecting the write suspect/location/weapon. Sort of like a cross between Clue and Dixit that is cooperative. I find this is easy to teach to new players and have people get involved.

EDIT: Ah, saw the suggestions for Hanabi above and that is another great one in a super small box. I also played plenty of Liar's Dice in college.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.