PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can find a game's geek rating when I do a search, but can't seem to find where this stat is listed on a game's page? Anyone know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently it isn't. As a workaround you can click on the number after "Rank: Overall" (and/or the subcategory you are interested in, if any, like Thematic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Apparently it isn't. As a workaround you can click on the number after "Rank: Overall" (and/or the subcategory you are interested in, if any, like Thematic).
That'll have to do. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Die drei ??? und der geheimnisvolle
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Being simply the average rating plus statistical noise, geekrating isn't really useful for anyone except people looking at how the rankings are calculated, so I can understand why they removed it from the game pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer it over the average rating, which typically skews wildly positive for new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
But all that means is that when you look at a new game where the dummy votes dominate, the geekrating will always be middling. It may be "unskewed", but it doesn't show more information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
But all that means is that when you look at a new game where the dummy votes dominate, the geekrating will always be middling. It may be "unskewed", but it doesn't show more information.

It shows different information that I find to be more useful. The dummy votes in the geek rating proportionately mitigate low volumes of user ratings. The fewer ratings a game has, the more useless I find the average rating.

Spazz: The Card Game, a kickstarted game that hasn't even been funded yet, has an average rating of 10 on the strength of 2 user ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
ironregime wrote:
It shows different information that I find to be more useful. The dummy votes in the geek rating proportionately mitigate low volumes of user ratings. The fewer ratings a game has, the more useless I find the average rating.

Spazz: The Card Game, a kickstarted game that hasn't even been funded yet, has an average rating of 10 on the strength of 2 user ratings.

Yes, and if you added a hundred 5.5 dummy votes to that, the geekrating would be about 5.5, which seems equally useless? It's like you're saying, "I don't trust those flaky early voters, I'm glad the dummy voters are there to vote more conservatively and keep them in check." But the dummy votes aren't appraising the game in any way, just pulling the average with arbitrary strength towards an arbitrary point. So I guess they're acting as a kind of spoiler prevention? If you monitor games by the geekrating, then good or bad, a game doesn't get to show up very strongly on the radar until the votes have really poured in. And of course the geekrating has at least one largely legitimate use for deriving stable rankings that totally keep the cult of the new out of the top 100. But as a numeric measure I wouldn't say it adds information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:
I prefer it over the average rating, which typically skews wildly positive for new games.

I enjoy the "Ratings Breakdown" bar graph that shows up on the right side of the Ratings and Comments module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
"I don't trust those flaky early voters, I'm glad the dummy voters are there to vote more conservatively and keep them in check." But the dummy votes aren't appraising the game in any way, just pulling the average with arbitrary strength towards an arbitrary point. So I guess they're acting as a kind of spoiler prevention? If you monitor games by the geekrating, then good or bad, a game doesn't get to show up very strongly on the radar until the votes have really poured in.

Yes, thanks. My point exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.