J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
shake Despite all the jokes about marrying cousins and sisters, it's actually exceptionally rare in Oklahoma. Really.

No, really!

http://www.kswo.com/story/33041050/duncan-mom-daughter-arres...

Figured I better post this before someone else. But really, this doesn't happen much in Oklahoma.

Hey, Goddammit, stop laughing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has to be a joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
shake Despite all the jokes about marrying cousins and sisters, it's actually exceptionally rare in Oklahoma. Really.

Are you sure you're really in Oklahoma......or are you actually in West Virginia, and been calling it by the wrong name?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing that struck me is...they are big fans of Superman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
And just to put it in context, around here Duncan is relatively affluent and considered to be a "nicer" town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Are you sure you're really in Oklahoma......or are you actually in West Virginia, and been calling it by the wrong name?

ninja well I'm glad I wasn't the only one with similar thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
She got the marriage to HER SON annulled after 2 years...
Doesn't happen "much".
Too frikkin funny, keep us posted with updates!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
draxx01 wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

ninja well I'm glad I wasn't the only one with similar thoughts.

I should feel bad for thinking it. I don't...but I should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
This story and an earthquake? Coincidence?... I think not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
:shake: Despite all the jokes about marrying cousins and sisters, it's actually exceptionally rare in Oklahoma. Really.

No, really!

Figured I better post this before someone else. But really, this doesn't happen much in Oklahoma.

Well, the case can be made that at least they're only ruining the one family......

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the pics this might not be the first time this family has indulged in "forbidden fruit".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Ferretman wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

No, really!

Well, the case can be made that at least they're only ruining the one family......

Ferret

laughlaughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, motherfucker...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARCUS GABRIEL
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Five cents, please," his front door said when he tried to open it. The toll door had an innate stubborness to it... UBIK
mbmbmbmbmb
Another family with a telephone pole for a family tree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why are you people so judgemental ? If they are both consenting adults, then who does it harm ? Oh wait, I thought they were just gay, if they are related then WTF, stop them !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
why are you people so judgemental ? If they are both consenting adults, then who does it harm ? Oh wait, I thought they were just gay, if they are related then WTF, stop them !

Strictly speaking, there is a separate concern with Parent/Child relationships (power dynamic) that raises questions about the nature of the consent. Not to say it can't emerge from an innocent place, but it is something that needs an above average level of scrutiny.

In heterosexual incestuous relationships the question of children also comes up, but that is an entirely different thing with its own associated can of worms.

So, basically, there are additional concerns beyond the "two consenting adults" thing that don't come up in homosexual relationships, which is why incest (particularly in this form) tends to be more taboo and the subject of more ridicule and scorn.

That said, I can't honestly really find it in my heart to get worked up about more average forms of incest. As you said. Consenting adults, whatever. Parent/Child inherently worries me a bit though, because, as stated, the nature of that relationship can mean we are coming from an unhealthy place to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Drew1365 wrote:
This is "Okie Hickishness"?

So what do we call it when it happens in New York or California?

Left/East Coast Liberal Effete Intellectual Bullshit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
This is "Okie Hickishness"?

So what do we call it when it happens in New York or California?

"something to make Drew stop being so fucking defensive all the time"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Little confused.

Are laws about marriage old fashioned religious bigotry, or does the state have some interest in defining a legal marriage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
The state/the people have an interest in not saddling taxpayers with the cost of taking care of the progeny of incestuous relations. And I truly doubt this was a church wedding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Little confused.

Are laws about marriage old fashioned religious bigotry, or does the state have some interest in defining a legal marriage?

Why can't it be both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rost
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

Ferret

True.

Another glass of lemonade from lemons is the fact they they won't have to argue when deciding which side of the family they'll be spending Thanksgiving with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Hey if these idiots want to marry each other, then they won't be marrying other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:

Strictly speaking, there is a separate concern with Parent/Child relationships (power dynamic) that raises questions about the nature of the consent. Not to say it can't emerge from an innocent place, but it is something that needs an above average level of scrutiny.

In heterosexual incestuous relationships the question of children also comes up, but that is an entirely different thing with its own associated can of worms.

So, basically, there are additional concerns beyond the "two consenting adults" thing that don't come up in homosexual relationships, which is why incest (particularly in this form) tends to be more taboo and the subject of more ridicule and scorn.

That said, I can't honestly really find it in my heart to get worked up about more average forms of incest. As you said. Consenting adults, whatever. Parent/Child inherently worries me a bit though, because, as stated, the nature of that relationship can mean we are coming from an unhealthy place to start with.
Which he has been told multiple times.

But I am not sure anyone is really outraged by this so much as finding it really all rather odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
The state/the people have an interest in not saddling taxpayers with the cost of taking care of the progeny of incestuous relations.

Why would they? Do all children born in Oklahoma become wards of the state at birth?

NO, but kids born with genetic defects often get financial assistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.