6 Posts

Incantris» Forums » General

Subject: Female Minis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K B
Canada
flag msg tools
I want to start by saying that this game looks really cool. I love the terrain and magical theme. Im intrigued by the mechanics and the way the different factions damage other factions. The one thing that really bothers me though is the female minis.
-If you look at the males you have 3 distinct poses (very animated and battle appropriate) and 3 distinct clothing styles that define and enrich the character.
-I feel like the sorceress and the arcane knight have the same silhouette and unless up close look indistinguishable. Perhaps the arcane knight needs the billowing fabric to stop at knee height to show off boots, or perhaps a cape instead. maybe a helmet (that doesn't need to cover the face). I suggest changes to the arcane knight because i think out fo the 3 females the sorceress is the most appropriate for her characters identity (and matching the sorcerer).
-All the females have a static pose (the two with staffs are pointing their staffs at the ground, its not like this is war).
-The druid also does not feel like a druid. I think more inspiration needs to come from the staff because I can see it there. I think she needs to be a female version of the shaman but instead of a bear be more "of the earth" as this also plays into her move ability.

I don't mean to hate on this project because I don't, i think its has everything else going for it but this is the only part that lets me down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath R
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for the kind words and the thoughts on Incantris!

I see what you are saying about the silhouette of the Arcane Knight and the Sorceress in the pictures that we have. They can be distinguished from each other during play. We had not noticed a problem there.

Is there a picture of the kind of thing you are looking for with a redesigned Druid? We wanted her to be dressed in outdoorsy, but also very practical gear. It had not occurred to us to taker her toward more of the shamanistic look. That could look very cool though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K B
Canada
flag msg tools
I quite like the art of the arcane knight and think from the development aspect she's on point. I thinks it's just the pose/silhouette of the mini that looks too similar to the others (sorceress especially) I'm glad to hear she stands out on the game board in real life.

I'm not too sure about the Druid. I think there is a lot of potential play with her look and it's a matter of where that fits into the world you are creating. If being humanoid is important (as opposed to more traditional representations and fantasy representations) I think she could be. If 3D modelling would allow, perhaps her cloak could be made of leaves. Or perhaps she has an antler crown/hood which kind of relates to the bear of the shaman. I think I have a much more traditional/fantasy view of Druids and perhaps that is not on par with the world of incantris. Silhouette wise I think she stands out from the other 2 females

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I had noted on the KS page that the women look very similar. Same sort of pose and same body types.

They will look fine once I get to painting them, but it would be nice to see more variety in future projects in terms of poses, body types & skin tones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the druid looks pretty good, but I do agree that the sorceress & arcane knight poses & costumes are far too similar. I also wish the sorcerer or sorceress had a different name, as simply having gender differentiation isn't very evocative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's likely way too late for the sculpts to be changed, and I wouldn't want you to incur additional costs just to mess around with something which is not a fatal flaw. But I do agree with the other posters:

(1) All the female minis have the same pose. Slow walk, legs straight, weapon pointed down. I would have had the Arcane Knight adopt a martial pose with her spear, with her robes fluttering like she just finished a dash or spin. The Druid should at least have her staff pointed up; the tail end could be resting on the ground. This is simply to differentiate from the Sorceress' hand/arm positioning.
(2) The Druid doesn't look very druid-like, except for her staff. What would a druid look like, and how do we not go with robes yet again? Something like this..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.