8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Descent: Journeys in the Dark type game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Duncan

Illinois
msg tools
I love playing Descent, but I and my fellow gaming group are noobs when it comes to table top RPGing. We love Descent, but it is pretty hard and very complex. We are looking for a game that is exactly like Descent: Journeys in the Dark, but is recommended for beginners and does not require an Overlord/Dungeon(Game) Master. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should take a look at the D&D series of boardgames, the most recent being Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game. The others are Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game, and Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Holman
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics is a great beginner dungeon crawl and it doesn't require a DM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
Try the new app for Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Road to Legend. No harm in trying since you already own Descent, and it's free. Acts as the overlord and gives you some sweet full coop dungeon-crawly goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:

Definitely start right in with Temple of Elemental Evil if you go with the D&D series, since it adds the campaign system.

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower has pretty accessible rules, but be prepared for some sticker shock, and you'll have to provide a good X-Acto knife and plastic cement to assemble the minis yourself.

Zombicide: Black Plague might be another good choice. The style and setting have a very Diablo III vibe to them, and rules seem straight-forward, with only standard six-sided dice being used.

EDIT: And maybe Super Fantasy: Ugly Snouts Assault. Looks like it's pretty inexpensive on Amazon. Check out https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/51559/super-fantasy-ugly... to see if it's light enough for your tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You could also try Ganesha games Song of Blades and Heroes with the Song of Gold and Darkness and use your descent boards and models.
You also get a great warband skirmish aswell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GitFeatures wrote:
You could also try Ganesha games Song of Blades and Heroes with the Song of Gold and Darkness and use your descent boards and models.
You also get a great warband skirmish aswell.

Now this really has my interest, as I've recently been trying to figure out what to do with the pile of D&D Essentials (N)PC/enemy tokens and assorted map tiles I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hayward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend one of the D&D board games such as Temple of Elemental Evil.

I think Descent has a lot of merit. I'd recommend sticking with it - using the app means you don't need one player as the overlord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.