GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,631 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Siege of the Citadel» Forums » General

Subject: co-op or competitive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so I'm confused if this game is co-op or competitive. It mentions the original being co-op but then says some stuff about the new game that makes it sound like it's a competitive game.

There are secret objectives which as the page says might go against the main of objective (or something to that effect).

also within a game players take turns controlling the villains. If it's a co-op game why would you ever have the villains attack anything?

So does any one know the answer to is this game co-op or competitive? and if it is co-op do they know how the above two points actually work in a co-op game? thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Connerley
United States
Brightwood
Virginia
flag msg tools
They have said info on the solo rules will be coming. So far I am not impressed by the campaign but I hate the idea of holding info and slowly releasing it throughout the campaign. It reeks of them being behind the power curve in my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming the general ruleset is the same as the original, it's a semi-coop game.

5 players each choose a faction (corporation) to play as. For each mission, one player plays as the Dark Legion instead of their Doomtrooper corporation; a different player assumes this role for each mission. Each mission can either have a single goal that all Doomtrooper players are working toward, a separate "Secondary" mission, or a mix where some players are working toward a common goal and some have "Secondary" missions.

Doomtrooper players are cooperating to achieve the mission objective and earn credits. The Dark Legion player will earn credits for causing the Doomtroopers to fail their mission objectives. All players are also competing to deal damage / kill figures of the opposing side in order to obtain individual experience points. If a Doomtrooper player has a "Secondary" mission then they are working towards that instead of helping with the main mission.

The overall goal of the game is to amass the most victory points and credits. The individual player that accomplishes this goal wins the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Connerley
United States
Brightwood
Virginia
flag msg tools
From the creators:
"the solo play is part of the development work at the moment and we'll be talking more about it during the campaign."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sharps54 wrote:
They have said info on the solo rules will be coming. So far I am not impressed by the campaign but I hate the idea of holding info and slowly releasing it throughout the campaign. It reeks of them being behind the power curve in my mind.
sharps54 wrote:
From the creators:
"the solo play is part of the development work at the moment and we'll be talking more about it during the campaign."

You are way off topic. Did you mean to post these elsewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original game was entirely competitive; the objective was to have the highest score (based on credits and XP) at the end of the campaign. While the Doomtrooper players did not directly attack each other and were ostensibly "on the same side", there were several cards that let you attack other Doomtrooper players, and players could easily abandon the main objectives if they could score more points by doing so. Plus, the Dark Legion player rotated between game sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Connerley
United States
Brightwood
Virginia
flag msg tools
umchoyka wrote:
sharps54 wrote:
sharps54 wrote:
From the creators:

Sorry, I had read "co-op" as "solo". No doubt the forthcoming solo rules will allow some amount of co-op playability but I get your point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
The original game was entirely competitive; the objective was to have the highest score (based on credits and XP) at the end of the campaign. While the Doomtrooper players did not directly attack each other and were ostensibly "on the same side", there were several cards that let you attack other Doomtrooper players, and players could easily abandon the main objectives if they could score more points by doing so. Plus, the Dark Legion player rotated between game sessions.

It was semi-cooperative. You had to work together on most missions in order to accomplish the main objective and receive credits, otherwise the Dark Legion player would gain a massive advantage. The overall goal was to be individually more successful than the other players, but you were not going to get there playing as a lone-wolf throughout the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
umchoyka wrote:
sharps54 wrote:
sharps54 wrote:
From the creators:

Call the topic police.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ClanNatioy wrote:
also within a game players take turns controlling the villains. If it's a co-op game why would you ever have the villains attack anything?
Because playing the Villain well gives rewards to the Villain player with boosts for their DoomTrooper faction next time they play. So players are incentivised to play a mean and effective villain! Genius!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
ClanNatioy wrote:
Because playing the Villain well gives rewards to the Villain player with boosts for their DoomTrooper faction next time they play. So players are incentivised to play a mean and effective villain! Genius!

If the game was full co-op this wouldn't work. But from what others have said it isn't full co-op and there's only one winner. So it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick question then:

Does this really scale down to 2 well? Sounds like it turns into a 1 v 1 scenario each time.

Thanks for any answers or insights!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi the original didn't scale well but we're balancing it so you can play with any number of players, we're also looking at how we can increase the number of players with scaling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I want to see changed is the poor Capitol teams power. 1 extra doom trooper card was by far the weakest power. After 20 plays, we had to change it to 2 extra cards, and while still weak, it was at least okay-ish.

I am worried, because I saw in the mock up that they had the same power. I hope either the cards were scaled up in value a lot. I hope the other powers weren't scaled back to match it. I REALLY hope that I isn't just the same. Althiugh, if it is, at least it's an easy house rule to kind of fix it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
umchoyka wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

It was semi-cooperative. You had to work together on most missions in order to accomplish the main objective and receive credits, otherwise the Dark Legion player would gain a massive advantage. The overall goal was to be individually more successful than the other players, but you were not going to get there playing as a lone-wolf throughout the campaign.

If you count any game where you sometimes ally with other players to stop a stronger player, I think virtually every game with player interaction would be "semi-cooperative".

EDIT: Sorry, this is a general overall disagreement with board game terms I have. I know lots of people see this sort of gameplay as different from a normal competitive game for some reason; I just have no idea why.

I'd count Cosmic Encounter as one of the very few actual semi co-op games, where several players can win, but never all the players, and teams are not pre-defined.

Deliberately ignoring the main mission was a great idea if the Dark Legion player was lagging behind and you thought you could accomplish your side mission while the other Doom Troopers did not accomplish theirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

EDIT: Sorry, this is a general overall disagreement with board game terms I have. I know lots of people see this sort of gameplay as different from a normal competitive game for some reason; I just have no idea why.

So by your definition a game is semi-cooperative only if players can win as a group rather than as an individual (e.g. Dune/Rex)?

I guess the other way to look at it is that a game is semi-coop if all the players can lose if they do not cooperate to some extent (archipelago).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
The thing I want to see changed is the poor Capitol teams power. 1 extra doom trooper card was by far the weakest power. After 20 plays, we had to change it to 2 extra cards, and while still weak, it was at least okay-ish.

I am worried, because I saw in the mock up that they had the same power. I hope either the cards were scaled up in value a lot. I hope the other powers weren't scaled back to match it. I REALLY hope that I isn't just the same. Althiugh, if it is, at least it's an easy house rule to kind of fix it.

Don't worry that is temporary info until the balancing of the rules has been done, the corporate powers are all being balanced against each other
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Genestealer1969 wrote:
Big fans of the game out here as well, but we also play usually 1v1. Wondering how well that will work since it looks like running multiple boards with secret objectives really would not work well.

Hope Chris and the campaign will be able to put more information out as the campaign progresses.

In a solo or co-op mode we'll be taking in to account the secret missions, it might simply be that you gain more points by achieving the various secondary missions you have as a group - which of course help you in the next mission. More on that later. We're really focusing on the main revised gameplay at the moment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.