Subject: Making my own cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Greene
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First of all, I know, TGC is cheaper and better. Got it.

I want to make my own cards at my house, without sending off for anything. I also don't want to be playing with an exacto knife for 3 weeks per deck. Lets pretend cost isn't an issue (it is, but lets pretend because when I've asked this question before everyone starts of saying "use TGC" and that's not my question).

I'm trying to piece together a solution and here's what I got so far:

$3500 @ 1 x Color Copier/Printer capable of up to 12x18 cardstock. It's rated to take in 110lb paper, but I'm told it can consume slightly heavier cardstock so long as it's not stacked up too tall and it's not a double sided print.

$1500 @ 1 x ADJUSTABLE Business Card slitter: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

$140 @ 1 x Corner Rounder: http://www.whitakerbrothers.com/akiles-diamond-1-corner-roun...

This gets me cards cut to size, but does not get me quality, shufflable cards. That requires special paper/cardstock and a finish process. I am a complete n00b in this regard. Could someone educate me as to what I need to complete this endeavor?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you may have gotten this question before, but what are your reasons for doing this at home?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Greene
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes. Yes I have. Because I want to? I dunno, it's like the person who makes their own chairs out of wood I guess... I don't have a good reason, really other than maybe time. If I'm messing around with a creative idea, I'd like to be able to do something about it without having to wait for mail-order to arrive.

Also, my wife recently purchased the printer for her business and the other parts are all I would actually have to expend cash on. The big one is the slitter, of course, but it actually has a lot of other applications as well. Want business cards? Print em yourself now! Fliers/postcards? Done. etc...

It's certainly not "worth it", but it could be justified within the realm of "cause I want to".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This for the laminating process.

Since cost is not an issue, this for cutting with a custom clear-cuts die set up to cut 9 cards at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
trumpetx wrote:
Yes. Yes I have. Because I want to? I dunno, it's like the person who makes their own chairs out of wood I guess... I don't have a good reason, really other than maybe time. If I'm messing around with a creative idea, I'd like to be able to do something about it without having to wait for mail-order to arrive.

You, sir, are my hero! "Because I want to" is probably the best possible reason to create stuff.

If the aim is to create a workable prototype, roughly cutting up cards and shoving them in sleeves serves me well, but making something cool for the sake of it... well, more power to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you read this thread?

Making Cards: You’ll never use your old method again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Greene
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

I have, but I was wondering if there was a more "mid production" methodology that was somewhere between that and the production steps of a larger print shop (e.g. TGC).

Lining up sheet by sheet w/glue could get tedious, but if that's the only way....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Take a look at cold lamination. I use it with 165gms cardstock and it produces cards which are close to the thickness and feel of cards you get in off the shelf games. Easy to use too. I laminate sheets of cards on A4 and then cut them with a heavy guillotine. The cold laminate is just like sticking a large piece of tape to both sides but is easy to apply with a cold laminator. The lamination film can be bought with different finishes and some make good cards for shuffling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.