Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: How much do you read? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you have to perform a test, whether it be horror, attack, defending whatever, do you continue to read the pass/fail results after the test (e.g. Strength;2) or do you stop reading, do the test then read what the pass/fail results are?
I personally think it adds to the tension to not read the pass/fail until I've actually rolled the dice.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This has come up a couple times, I really wish there was an option to allow you to hide pass fail results then select pass or fail and then see the result. This already exists when the outcome is determined by how many successes you roll, and the failure, or level of success results, are hidden.

In short: I agree and posted about it a month ago but it bears repeating.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Or they could simply just reformat the text box. They have plenty of room to do so. Something like:


(Flavor text / fluff in italics)

Test: (who is getting targeted and what they are rolling)

Pass: (what happens)

Fail: (what happens)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not read the consequences unless I fail the check but have the means to pass it if I choose to (e.g., spend clue tokens). That's how I handle checks in AH/EH as well.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fun to read the text box, and it's a part of the theme to get you invested.

If you don't want to be invested in the theme, why are you playing this edition and not 1e?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
It's fun to read the text box, and it's a part of the theme to get you invested.

If you don't want to be invested in the theme, why are you playing this edition and not 1e?

It's the opposite. Not reading the results ahead of time is more thematic / exciting. In real life, you do not know the consequences of your actions until you do them.

By the way, 1e has just as much theme as 2e.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
It's fun to read the text box, and it's a part of the theme to get you invested.

If you don't want to be invested in the theme, why are you playing this edition and not 1e?


No one is suggesting to not read the box at all. Check the original post. It's about reading PART of the it and then only reading the relevant result. I don't need to know what happens if I pass when I failed. Knowing all of it takes away from the mystery for me. I'd like to have results hidden until I need to know.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Hillean wrote:
It's fun to read the text box, and it's a part of the theme to get you invested.

If you don't want to be invested in the theme, why are you playing this edition and not 1e?


No one is suggesting to not read the box at all. Check the original post. It's about reading PART of the it and then only reading the relevant result. I don't need to know what happens if I pass when I failed. Knowing all of it takes away from the mystery for me. I'd like to have results hidden until I need to know.


I was thinking this was in response to where you input your amount of successes and the next screen told you what happened. Normally when we play, we have one person drive the app and the others control the heroes--but we usually have 6 players, its just a way to fit everyone in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
Hillean wrote:
It's fun to read the text box, and it's a part of the theme to get you invested.

If you don't want to be invested in the theme, why are you playing this edition and not 1e?


No one is suggesting to not read the box at all. Check the original post. It's about reading PART of the it and then only reading the relevant result. I don't need to know what happens if I pass when I failed. Knowing all of it takes away from the mystery for me. I'd like to have results hidden until I need to know.


I was thinking this was in response to where you input your amount of successes and the next screen told you what happened. Normally when we play, we have one person drive the app and the others control the heroes--but we usually have 6 players, its just a way to fit everyone in.


No, I just meant that it seems more thematic to roll the dice before looking at the possible results.I wish they had put the pass/fail results on a separate screen so after you roll the dice you have a choice of either hitting "pass" or "fail"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I stop reading before the Pass/Fail results.

I don't like players to game the results by preemptively spending clues or not spending clues, already knowing what the consequences will be. There's no rule against it, but that's just how my group likes to play.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread players are complaining that having to click extra times for placing each search token takes precious seconds away from their lives.

In this one players are complaining that they DON'T have to click an extra time to reveal the pass/fail text.

Let's pick one and be consistent.

Personally, I want to know if I want to pass/fail this test based on potential consequences. Clues are a limited resource, and sometimes you don't spend them even if you could because your character can handle the penalty. Other times the penalty is too risky and should be mitigated.

Basically: put me in the camp of "It's fine the way it is. If you don't want to know what happens on a given test result, have someone else read the text to you and stop after the call for a test.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see why everyone thinks its unthematic--if something is rushing at me, and I'm told to make an agility throw, I can't see into the future to see if its only 1 wound and I can withold my Clues, or if its something really bad and I want to roll as high as I can.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmet Uysal
msg tools
I read them in case I get closer to being wounded etc.. I agree with the idea that it is fun to read after making the test, but at some point knowing if you are going to be wounded or eliminated depending on the result creates quite intense moments (although it is only a dice role and depends on luck).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
In another thread players are complaining that having to click extra times for placing each search token takes precious seconds away from their lives.

In this one players are complaining that they DON'T have to click an extra time to reveal the pass/fail text.

Let's pick one and be consistent.

Personally, I want to know if I want to pass/fail this test based on potential consequences. Clues are a limited resource, and sometimes you don't spend them even if you could because your character can handle the penalty. Other times the penalty is too risky and should be mitigated.

Basically: put me in the camp of "It's fine the way it is. If you don't want to know what happens on a given test result, have someone else read the text to you and stop after the call for a test.


I agree with the inconsistencies (though since it is the internet, everyone is going to find their nitpicks with literally everything).

I personally think it's fine the way it is, but when my group plays, we always make the check and convert clues before reading the Pass/Fail results. It's just a thematic element we like to add to our game. It's exactly the same with Eldritch Horror. The Pass/Fail is listed right on the card, so you can see what happens before you roll or use items. However, we just house-rule it so that someone else has to read your card for you and keep it a secret.

It's all optional. I think the way it is now let's players choose how they want to play it (knowing the consequences or not), so it's fine as is.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
BreadRising wrote:
I stop reading before the Pass/Fail results.

I don't like players to game the results by preemptively spending clues or not spending clues, already knowing what the consequences will be.


It's a game though. Gaming the results is literally playing the game! I love the game, but if I'm honest, it has very few interesting decisions in it. It's primarily about the theme, story and letting the game play you. Making a risk/reward choice over clue tokens is one of the few actual interesting decisions in the gsme, and by far the most common. Taking it out is removing what little gsme is left.

That said, it's so close to just an experiential thing I can also see the appeal of stripping out all of the "game". But essentially, you're just tossing a coin on whether you spend a clue token or not, which I find quite dull.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
In another thread players are complaining that having to click extra times for placing each search token takes precious seconds away from their lives.

In this one players are complaining that they DON'T have to click an extra time to reveal the pass/fail text.

Let's pick one and be consistent.

Personally, I want to know if I want to pass/fail this test based on potential consequences. Clues are a limited resource, and sometimes you don't spend them even if you could because your character can handle the penalty. Other times the penalty is too risky and should be mitigated.

Basically: put me in the camp of "It's fine the way it is. If you don't want to know what happens on a given test result, have someone else read the text to you and stop after the call for a test.


Except you're talking about hundreds of people, all with different opinions. You're asking them to be consistent about a complaint? Feel free to tell me that was sarcasm, because it sounds like it.

As it is, having this as an option to enable would be perfectly acceptable. Turn it on if you want it, turn it off if you don't.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
This has come up a couple times, I really wish there was an option to allow you to hide pass fail results then select pass or fail and then see the result. This already exists when the outcome is determined by how many successes you roll, and the failure, or level of success results, are hidden.

In short: I agree and posted about it a month ago but it bears repeating.


Maybe I am missing something, but can't you just stop reading before the pass/fail consequences? It always starts that section by saying "if you pass" or something similar. Why does the app need to hide it when you can just choose to stop reading there until you roll the dice?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
This has come up a couple times, I really wish there was an option to allow you to hide pass fail results then select pass or fail and then see the result. This already exists when the outcome is determined by how many successes you roll, and the failure, or level of success results, are hidden.

In short: I agree and posted about it a month ago but it bears repeating.


Maybe I am missing something, but can't you just stop reading before the pass/fail consequences? It always starts that section by saying "if you pass" or something similar. Why does the app need to hide it when you can just choose to stop reading there until you roll the dice?


Things like '3 horror/wounds' and things stick out and you see with your peripheral; its not like those last few lines are a complete blur until you actually read them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group does our best to stop reading at the first sign of an option, in AH at least.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
This has come up a couple times, I really wish there was an option to allow you to hide pass fail results then select pass or fail and then see the result. This already exists when the outcome is determined by how many successes you roll, and the failure, or level of success results, are hidden.

In short: I agree and posted about it a month ago but it bears repeating.


Maybe I am missing something, but can't you just stop reading before the pass/fail consequences? It always starts that section by saying "if you pass" or something similar. Why does the app need to hide it when you can just choose to stop reading there until you roll the dice?


Peripheral vision for one. No one ever is looking at the word they're reading either. We're naturally read ahead, at least a few words. This would provide a barrier for that and improve theme.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.