Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Title pretty much says it all. I really like the Legendary system, but have never seen this film, is this still an enjoyable play experience? or is it too dependent on appreciating references I'm not going to get?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rent the movie. Your life will be all the better for it.

Seriously though; you could easily enjoy Legendary Aliens and Predator without having seen the movies so you'd probably be able to do the same. There's more humor in BTiLC so you might miss the in-jokes but the game would still be ineteigible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mb
Robrob wrote:
Rent the movie. Your life will be all the better for it.

It's a really fun movie. It's currently streaming on Netflix, FWIW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
I recommend watching the movie. Either you like the characters &/or movie, or you find you rather pass.
I watched the movie before the release and it did boost my interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Waits
United States
Elizabethtown
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in the same boat as you, so first I looked through the cards. There are some neat things going on mechanically. Then I watched the movie. It's great, and that made me want it even more.

I agree there are some cool thematic interactions with Dark City, as well as Secret Wars v2 (Shang Chi [Wang's cousin ], Zheng Zu/K'un Lun, some of the schemes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
I wouldn't say that it's dependent on knowing the movie. You could as easily imagine the characters as Marvel superheroes/villains and do the same thing. Yeah, Gracie Law's rare and its gift-giving mechanism would be weird. But it's doable.

Knowing the movie helps, but it's not mandatory. Any more than knowing who Captain & The Devil or Soulsword Colossus is means that you can't enjoy Legendary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M. Cabal Inés
Spain
Oviedo
Principado de Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We bough the game because we love the film and enjoy Legendary.

I think it will be easier to watch the film before buy the game.

The game mechanic is a evolved Marvel Legendary with a lot of in-jokes and references to the film, and the theme is very well implemented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.