Subject: Euro games with a sense of humor? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
So the recent threads on sheep and favorite animals in games got me thinking that what gaming needs is a good solid cat Euro. People love cats, people love Euros, so we merge the two! Herding cats, keeping cats off the table, out of boxes, into boxes, I dunno, there are a lot of possibilities.

However... then I thought, well, they're all kinda jokey themes. And Euro players have no sense of humor. Dour, dry, serious, logical, they don't want jokes in their games.

Or am I wrong? How many Euros can you think of that have a sense of humor? All I came up with after a quick brain scan (ok, slow and lethargic brain scan) is Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia. Clearly that's a solid Euro with solid Euro mechanics. It all has a dry dark sense of humor, both in card text and game mechanics (if your workers get too smart, they run away).

Any other examples of Euros that embrace a little humor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Someday Asagi will be the main character of her very own game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Could call it "Mind the Cat" and have cats in a subway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Denby
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
And I'll form the Head!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say both Last Will and it's "sequel" The Prodigals Club are example of euro games with humor.

Instead of trying to be the richest player at games end you are put in a Brewster's Millions type situation where you have a small fortune and you are trying to be the first player to bankrupt yourself (or in prodigals club avoid being elected office, drop your status in society, etc...)

So you take actions like taking your horses for a cruise, or throwing a wild party with 4 chefs through euro actions of work placement and hand management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Will
Dungeon Petz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Dungeon Petz considered as euro? The imps are technically part of the family, not your workers...

Edit: ninja'd ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pursuit of happiness is very funny.
Also I always laugh when a plan in eclipse works... but this has more to do with the devastation of an enemy fleet and less with the humor of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely think most of the Czech Games catalog has some element of humor in them. Dungeon Lords/ Dungeon Pets, Last Will/Prodigals Club, Galaxy Trucker...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not euros, but Kittens In A Blender has you literally getting cats (represented by cards) from one box (OK, they're blenders, but the box lids are such that) to another, or into, or away.

Kitty In My Neighborhood also deals with cats, but you're trying to lure them to your yard/house for points.

AFAIK, there aren't any eurogames with cats predominantly featured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny Friends. Depending on your sense of humour, evidently.

Fearsome Floors, where you try to outrun "the monster" while at the same time trying to guide it towards your opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have mentioned, Dungeon Petz and Dungeon Lords!

The Bloody Inn is dark, but I'm pretty sure the humor is intentional. After 3 or 4 plays I don't like the gameplay very much, sadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Math wrote:
Funny Friends. Depending on your sense of humour, evidently.

Fearsome Floors, where you try to outrun "the monster" while at the same time trying to guide it towards your opponents.

And other Friedemann Friese games, e.g. Friday and the gangster portraits in Famiglia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of euro/euroish titles at least seem to be trying to be funny / punny, e.g. Oh My Goods!, Broom Service, Nuns on the Run, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Leitzel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Belfort be a Euro? I think it has a lot of little humor bits in there as well..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of my top 3 games! Though they've already been mentioned:

Dungeon Petz
The Prodigals Club
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestions! I had forgotten some (I should have remembered Dungeon Lords and Petz) and never knew some of the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Lords

box backs
Many of the Dominion sets
Nefertiti (when an ancient Egyptian pharaoh who's considered a god to his own people can make mortal mistakes, that says it right there )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The The Road to Canterbury has Chaucer-esque satirical undertones. You play a pardoner absolving pilgrims of their wicked ways. Of course, you're the one leading them down the path of sin too...for a profit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Struggle, most definitely. A rather hilarious struggle to rise in the ranks of the company. A good game, with a unique feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hot Tin Roof - network building game with cat meeples
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
Is Dungeon Petz considered as euro? The imps are technically part of the family, not your workers...

Edit: ninja'd ninja

I knew I was ninja'd before I even I opened the thread. I would second Last will as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cannon Wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Countdown to this turning into a Theme vs No Theme thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
So the recent threads on sheep and favorite animals in games got me thinking that what gaming needs is a good solid cat Euro. People love cats, people love Euros, so we merge the two! Herding cats, keeping cats off the table, out of boxes, into boxes, I dunno, there are a lot of possibilities.

I could be wrong, but Cat Town might fit the bill. It has cat meeples, so... it has to be a Euro, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's (maybe technically not a existing Euro game because it doesn't quite exist just yet) Unfair currently on KS.

And I think Imperial Settlers has quite a bit of humor, both in the art and in some of the card choices.

I even feel comfortable placing Smash Up under the Euro category. While everything is transient it is mostly engine building and card combos and area majority.

Similarly Unexploded Cow is basically a tableau building game, and recognizably Euro-ish.

If just art alone counts I'll also add Super Motherload for the choices of some of the pilot illustrations.
Mostly on the same account also Harbour. And CV (though here some cards do have amusing choices of what they give you for what they're supposed to be, so not limited to just the art)

Loop Inc. has a lot of humor both in the art and in the rulebook.

And if I remember correctly there's some rulebook humor in Scoville.

Argent: The Consortium is very much a worker-placement Euro despite the high level of aggression, and it too doesn't lack humor.

And Stockpile also doesn't seem to take itself too seriously and could fit here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you mean something different from that word than I what I mean.

Nuns on the Run and Smash Up are NOT Euros people!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Petz (Particularly the rule book)
Dungeon Lords (Mostly the rule book, but also some of the spells)
Caverna (the explanations for how you get the various items from adventures)
Evo (The gene that allows you to defend against heat is... The parrasol)
Small World (Some race/power combos are good for a chuckle)
Glen More (It's a bit of a dry sort of humour, and a bit dark, but the only explanation that I've seen anyone come up with for the cost of getting Loch Ness is that you're feeding one of your people to Nessie in order to claim the loch as part of your tableu)
Friday (The start game cards, and the aging cards)
Viticulture and expansions (The Euphoria structure pack in 1st edition Tuscany has the same slightly twisted humour of Euphoria; the name of the Moor Visitors pack, designed by Uwe Rosenburg, which is clearly a pun on the Farmers of the Moor expansion for Agricola)
Scythe (While a hybrid, it's very firmly on the Euro side of hybrid. Some of the possible interactions in the encounter cards are good for a chuckle or two. Personal favourite? Convince the soldier that reindeers aren't real, when said soldier is talking to a woman with a child riding a reindeer.)
The Networks (Doctor What staring The Guy Who Dies In Everything. Water Bug which does extremely well in reruns. Public Access shows such as What's In My Pockets and Unlock Your Cat's Psychic Potential, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.