Subject: Thinking of picking this up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre Brochu
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Hey everyone,

I've been thinking of picking this up for some time and now might be the time! Beside the base game, any expansion worth getting right away?

Also does the Expansion #7 and #8 are worth it? Can we combine soldiers from different country together or even have US Soldiers use UK weapon and so forth?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Base game alone is good to see if it does it for you. Expansion 1 would be the one to get if you want to add in one, as it provides more options without really introducing anything crazy new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fee Weasel
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
…so do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
badge
...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way...
mbmbmbmbmb
There is plenty of game in the base set. However, if you are like me having more options is a huge part of the game so every expansion is worth it except #4 the dice expansion. I would start with the base game and if you like it start grabbing the expansions in groups. They all have something to offer.

I haven't read over the rules lately but I recall them mentioning soldiers should select weapons from their countries unless you had a mixed squad. Even if my memory is wrong and there is a hard and fast rule about mixing and matching you can always ignore it. Having a squad of Russian soldiers using M4s or any other combo doesn't break the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you can play on multi-national teams, but I don't think you start with another nations weapons. I seem to recall playing with two other players (we were all playing different nations) and we compared the anti-air weapons to see "which guy should take it".

The first 3 expansions are absolutely necessary, imo. You'll see in other threads people recommend getting them, not because the game needs them, but because the game is so good that more makes it even better.

One of the "second wave" expansions added sitrep cards (and those are pretty cool), but I'd say you can easily skip those expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, there is a rule that US soldiers have to use weapons that have the US flag, (and UK with UK flag, etc.) but that's easily house-ruled. There is absolutely nothing, mechanically, stopping you from having US soldiers wield Russian kit, or UK soldiers carry US kit.

I've bought everything that's come out for this game plus made up a few of my own custom expansions, so I might be a little biased.

That said, you can have a lot of fun with just the base game, make sure it's suited for you before you dive in and buy a bunch of expansions (generally a wise decision).

This thread has a discussion of which expansions are best:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1354711/expansions-real...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also own everything for the game and love it...I am also waiting for my kickstarter WW2 warfighter that should be here in october
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only expansion you really don't need is #4.
Other than that I would recommend getting the expansions in order.
If you skip an expansion you may then find yourself with a hostile target that you don't have a weapon to defeat.

Example: If you have the Eastern Europe Adversaries expansion (#8) you could find yourself being chased down by a Hind helicopter.
The weapon you need to kill it (FIM 92 Stinger) is part of an earlier expansion (#5) and if you skipped it...............cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Brochu
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Thank you very much everyone for these comments. I'll probably go with the base game at first and see from there. By going through all of the se expansions content I'm easily seeing that these extension don't really add a lot more new mechanic and so on. In most part it seems to be more of the good old formula. Which is not a bad thing in some cases!

The campaign rule seems really nice. Would probably house rule it a bit like not ending campaign if a mission is lost. Doing a campaign for each region. Medical discharged would come back one a region campaign is concluded. KIA are obviously lost forever.

I dunno just seems to give a nice long duration to the game and a nice appeal for me! Really evolving a team over a serious period of time!

But again thanks for all the comments and details. Much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And later this year we will hopefully be getting wave 3 modern WF!

More expansions and a campaign game!

Happy Times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More, more I must have more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

North Korea expansion..........
Night missions for all regions..........
I could go on forever..........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reyes
msg tools
mbmbmb
I would also download the 3rd edition rules from the DVG site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diskgolfdemigod wrote:
I would also download the 3rd edition rules from the DVG site.

http://www.dvg.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee/73/Warfighter

Warfighter Rulebook 3rd Edition
h ttp://images.dvg.com/www.dvg.com/warfighterrules-v3.pdf

Warfighter Keywords 3rd Edition
h ttp://images.dvg.com/www.dvg.com/warfighterkeywords-v3.pdf

with the h ttp, remove the space to post into your browser - the link doesn't work.

But... there is likely to be some further changes coming from WW2 WF!
Two main changes - Melee combat and Bipods for LMGs
The WW2 rules and Keywords are currently not on the Warfighter web page - should be back there when the final copies arrive from the printers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Snäll
Finland
Espoo
-
flag msg tools
Check out my gallery!
badge
Check out my gallery!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try it out if you have Tabletop Simulator. My Warfighter mod for TTS is available in Steam Workshop with official permission from Berserker Games(B-G owns TTS rights for WF). My version is available until the official B-G version is released. So check it out while you can.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=558280...

@Christopher O, I recommend this for you. There might be some familiar stuff for you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Been on Steam says I have subscribed but how do you download.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, you guys have talked me into getting this...gee thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.