Subject: Tryworks at the end of the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Lowmaster
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If on the last round, I put a worker on the Tryworks, I can use it once to get 3 Right Whales in free? And only once, even if boats return at different "times" when they all return after the 12th round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that action is done once immediately you place your worker there one time only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lowmaster
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise Even if your ship is in the middle of the sea?! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dstair2002 wrote:

What? That doesn't make sense mechanically or thematically. We played it where if you had a boat that was returning that round, and had a worker there (else you can't place to block as per rules), you could make the free return during resolution of your boat returning after boat movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
dstair2002 wrote:

What? That doesn't make sense mechanically or thematically. We played it where if you had a boat that was returning that round, and had a worker there (else you can't place to block as per rules), you could make the free return during resolution of your boat returning after boat movement.

I thought that this was unthematic and had played it this way too, but then I looked up Tryworks on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trywork

"In the 18th and 19th century New England whaling industry, the use of tryworks (two large try pots in a brick furnace) on whaling ships allowed them to stay at sea longer. Since they could boil out their oil, they did not have to carry unprocessed blubber home. The slices of blubber were kept as thin as possible for the process, and on New England whaling ships, these slices were known as "bible leaves" by the sailors.[1] The ability to use tryworks at sea thus enabled the Yankee whaling industry to flourish."

So this explains how the tryworks allows you to process the whales, for free, while still at sea!

You learn something every day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
Historically a triworks is a shipboard thing. Game wise I'm almost certain it is for returning ships. Based on the rule that you can't take an action you can't use then no triworks unless you have a ship returning that turn. Also an technically an exception to the action is immediate, as it happens during the return phase.

What the OP seems to be asking is if he has a returning ship the last round can he select it for the final turn, then use it for residual returning ships. The answer to which I believe is no. IIRC workers return during the clean up phase at the end of the final turn. Then you return residual ships.

Please keep in mind this is all of the top of my head and I don't have the game to verify at this moment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spizio wrote:
Based on the rule that you can't take an action you can't use then no triworks unless you have a ship returning that turn.

These two things are unrelated though, IMO. You can use the action because the action allows you to "return" (the games term for processing) 3 right whales immediately upon taking the action. The returning refers to the whales being processed in the shipboard triworks not a reference to the fact that the ship itself is returning on that turn. I believe this is what is intended by the phrase "when this tile is occupied", which I also initially misread until I discovered what a triworks was in real life.

Assuming this is true, which we are still waiting on confirmation from the designer, this would invalidate the OPs question because it would mean the triworks does not function during the "return" portion of a ships movement, but instead is triggered immediately upon the worker landing on the tile just like every other action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was addressed in the Official FAQ and Errata thread. The 3 right whales are taken immediately from 1 ship when a worker is placed on the Tryworks building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhc3po wrote:
This was addressed in the Official FAQ and Errata thread. The 3 right whales are taken immediately from 1 ship when a worker is placed on the Tryworks building.

Thanks a bunch for the link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
dhc3po wrote:

Thanks a bunch for the link!

Yes indeed, and thank you for the history lesson. Although, now that I think of it, now that we know how it worked, how does the worker teleport from town out to the boat to perform his action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps thematically, you can think of it as the ships stopping at the port to drop off the smaller whales, but without fully unloading the ship. Or that it doesn't really happen until the ship returns, and it's just bookkeeping for the owners. We gave up a little theme for a big improvement in gameplay here.

As a design history lesson, it was originally limited to the round your ship returns, but that ended up being an unreliable benefit. The majority of feedback also indicated that it was more confusing to do it that way (action now, reward later) so it was brought more in line with the other actions that have an immediate effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lowmaster
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:

As a design history lesson, it was originally limited to the round your ship returns, but that ended up being an unreliable benefit. The majority of feedback also indicated that it was more confusing to do it that way (action now, reward later) so it was brought more in line with the other actions that have an immediate effect.

I was actually sending out ships so they would return on the turn I had first player ... not that I planned it that way, I was just unintentionally brilliant!

It makes sense, if we think about the workers placed as not just two people, placing one on the Tryworks suggests perhaps that we sent the person who can also chop wood on the boat to run the Tryworks.

Thematically it makes sense working right away since it's happening on the boat, at least as far as removing the whales from the ship.

As for gaining the money, just squint, it's fine. {;0p

---

It really does change the strategy though, for the better I think! Especially with a lighthouse ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.